Journal of Nanotechnology and Materials Science
Nanotechnology Based Virosomal Drug Delivery Systems
- 1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Omer Al-Mukhtar University, Al-Bayda, P. O. Box 919, Libya.
- 2Department of Quality Assurance, Remidex Pharma Pvt Ltd., 2nd Stage, Peenya Industrial Area, Bengaluru-560058, Karnataka. India.
- 3*Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Omer Al-Mukhtar University, Tobruk, P. O. Box 919, Libya.
- 4Drug Delivery System Excellence Centre, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Prince of Songkla University, Hat-Yai-90112, Songkla, Thailand.
- 5Chemical Kinomics Research Center, Future Convergence Research Division, Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), Seoul 136-791, South Korea.
Basavaraj, K.N., et al. Nanotechnology Based Virosomal Drug Delivery Systems. (2014) J Nanotech Mater Sci 1(1): 27-35.
Basavaraj, K.N., et al. Nanotechnology Based Virosomal Drug Delivery Systems. (2014) J Nanotech Mater Sci 1(1): 1 - 9.
© 2014 Basavaraj K.N. This is an Open access article distributed under the terms of Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
KeywordsVirosomes; Biocompatible; Biodegradable; Drug delivery; Gene delivery.
Over the years there has been a great revolution in drug delivery technologies. Virosomes delivery is an example of the various novel drug delivery systems available. Virosome is a drug or vaccine delivery mechanism which is spherical and consisting of unilamellar phospholipid bilayer vesicle with a mean diameter is in range of 120-180 nm. Virosomes represent reconstituted empty influenza virus envelopes, which contain 70% phosphatidylcholine and remaining 30% neuraminidase (NA) and haemagglutinin (HA) glycoproteins. Various techniques are used for the loading the drug, protein and peptide like package inside the IRIV (immunopotentiatin reconstituted influenza virosome), intrigrated into lipid bilayer also anchored into lipid bilayer, crosslinked with Hemaglutinin (HA) and adsorbed to the membrane. Various protein, peptide, and malarial drugs are loaded in virus to deliver at particular site to give the targeted drug delivery. The prospect of drug delivery and targeting using virosomes is an interesting field of research and development. Virosomes are biodegradable, biocompatible, nontoxic, and non-autoimmunogenic attempts were made to use them as a vaccines or pharmaceutical adjuvants as well as delivery systems for pharmaceutical drugs, nucleic acids, genes for therapeutic application. Virosomes could also be exploited as carriers for targeted drugs and for immunomodulating molecules particularly in cancer therapy. The success of virosomal drug delivery depends on the methods used to prepare the encapsulated bioactive materials and incorporate them into the virosomes, characterization and formulation of the finished preparation. This review article gives an insight of virosomes as a newer method of drug delivery and futuristic tool.