Dr. Ajay Gupta managed the set up of a state of the art pharmaceutical physico-chemical and microbiology analysis laboratory in Irving, Texas. Wrote a number of quality procedures including quality manual, site master file, validation master plan, several IOPQ protocols and SOPs, purchasing various analytical equipment, hiring personnel, designed mock runs, set-up training programs and setting up mock FDA and ISO17025 audits. Addressed OOSs, implemented several innovative solutions to address CAPAs as well as continually improving Medisca’s protocols to not only improve quality of its products, but also to ensure complete compliance with regulations as well as minimizing the risk to the end users. Set up occupational exposure band controls of several hundred active pharmaceutical ingredients, excipients and finished products and established and validated dose and toxicology based calculations of occupational exposure limits of pharmaceuticals based on their toxicology, pharmacokinetics, toxicokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Guided the company on formulation development, regulatory affairs, cleaning validations, stability testing, developing release specifications for new products, analytical chemistry, training staff, R&D projects including skin penetration studies, equivalency studies on packaging materials, vendor qualifications including conducting audits, stability study design etc.
My research interests in oncology are currently focused on
(1) role of oxidative stress in cancer biology specially focusing on role of hemeoxygenase-1 in tumor progression and metastasis
(2) development of multi-modal anti-cancer drugs with multiple and synergistic mechanisms of anti-tumor actions
(3) development of novel anti-cancer drugs to overcome drug resistance in terminal cancers
(4) development of novel biomarkers especially prostate cancer for early diagnosis and prevention.
(1) “CYP24 Inhibition as a novel therapeutic target in FGF23 mediated renal phosphate wasting disorders” Xiuying Bai, Dengshun Miao, Sophia Bai, Dinghong Qiu, Rene St- Arnaud, Martin Petkovich, Ajay Gupta, David Goltzman, Andrew C. Karaplis. 2015. (manuscript submitted to JCI for publication)
(2) “Neurotherapeutic effects of novel HO-1 inhibitors in vitro and in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer\'s disease” Ajay Gupta*, Baptiste Lacoste, Paul Pistel, Doanld Ingram, Edith Hamel, Moulay Alaoui-Jamali, Walter A. Szarek, Jason Z. Vlahakis, Su Jie, Wei Song and Hyman M. Schipper. Journal of Neurochemistry. 2014. DOI: 10.1111/jnc.12927
(3) “The novel arsenical Darinaparsin circumvents BRG1-dependent, HO-1-mediated cytoprotection in leukemic cells” Nicolas Garnier; Luca Andrea Petruccelli; Manuel Flores Molina; Maria Kourelis; Zuanel Diaz; Hyman M Schipper; Ajay Gupta; Koren K Mann; Wilson Miller; 2013, Leukemia, published on line on February 21, 2013 (doi: 10.1038/leu.2013.54).
(4) “Glial HO-1 Suppression as a Neuroprotective Strategy in Alzheimer Disease” Schipper, H.M.; Gupta, A.; Szarek, W.A.; Book chapter in the eBook series entitled: Advances in Alzheimer’s Disease Volume 2, Chapter 10, 2013 by Bentham Science.
(5) ”Substituted Imidazol derivatives and methods of use thereof for treating cancer” Ajay Gupta, Hyman M. Schipper, Moulay Alaoui-Jamali, Walter A. Szarek, Kanji Nakatsu and Jason Z. Vlahakis. United States Patent No. 8,513,294. Issued August 20, 2013.
(6) ”Methods For Treating Cancer With Imidazolyl Compounds” Ajay Gupta, Hyman M. Schipper, Moulay Alaoui-Jamali, Walter A. Szarek, Kanji Nakatsu and Jason Z. Vlahakis. United States Patent No. 7,943,650. Issued May 17, 2011.
(7) “PTEN deletion and heme oxygenase-1 overexpression cooperate in prostate cancer progression and are associated with adverse clinical outcome” Li Y, Su J, Dingzhang X, Zhang J, Yoshimoto M, Liu S, Bijian K, Gupta A, Squire JA, Alaoui Jamali MA, Bismar TA; 2011, The Journal of Pathology, 224; 90-100; DOI: 10.1002/path.2855
(8) “A novel experimental heme oxygenase-1 targeted therapy for hormone-refractory prostate cancer” Moulay A. Alaoui-Jamali, Tarek A. Bismar, Ajay Gupta, Walter A. Szarek, Jie Su, Wei Song, Yingjie Xu, Bin Xu, Guoan Liu, Jason Z.Vlahakis, Gheorghe Roman, Jinsong Jiao, Hyman M. Schipper; 2009, Cancer Research, 69 (20), 8017-8024.
(9) “Suppression of Glial HO-1 Activitiy as a Potential Neurotherapeutic Intervention in AD” Schipper, H.M.; Gupta, A.; Szarek, W.A.; 2009, Current Alzheimer Research, 6(5), 424- 430.
(10) “Heme oxygenase inhibitors and use of the same in the treatment of cancer and diseases of the central nervous system” Ajay Gupta, Hyman M. Schipper, Moulay Alaoui-Jamali, Walter A. Szarek, Kanji Nakatsu and Jason Z. Vlahakis. 2008, PCT/CA2008/001134 filed on June 12, 2008.
(11) “Compounds and methods for treating of cancer and diseases of the central nervous system” Ajay Gupta, Hyman M. Schipper, Moulay Alaoui-Jamali, Walter A. Szarek, Kanji Nakatsu and Jason Z. Vlahakis. 2008, US patent application 12/139,781 filed on June 16, 2008.
(12) “Variable Number of Tandem Repeats (VNTR) Polymorphism in the PTHRP Gene as Predictor of Peak Bone Mass in Young Finnish Males” Ajay Gupta, Ville-Valtteri Valimaki; Matti J. Valimaki; Elisa Loyttyniemi; Marilyn Richardson; David Goltzman; Andrew Karaplis; 2008, European Journal of Endocrinology, 158(5), 755-64.
(13) “Compounds for inhibiting diseases and preparing cells for transplantation” Clark A, Fraser P, Verchere B, Gupta A, Migneault D, Szarek W. US Patent application no. 20070015737 published on January 18, 2007.
(14) “Osteoblast-derived PTHrP is a potent endogenous bone anabolic agent that modifies the therapeutic efficacy of administered PTH 1-34” Dengshun Miao, Bin He, Yebin Jiang, Tatsuya Kobayashi, Maria A. Sorocéanu, Jenny Zhao, Hanyi Su, Xinkang Tong, Norio Amizuka, Ajay Gupta, Harry K. Genant, Henry M. Kronenberg, David Goltzman and Andrew C. Karaplis; 2005, J. Clin. Invest. 115:2402-2411.
(15) “A novel non-toxic camptothecin formulation for cancer chemotherapy” Berrada, M., Serreqi, A., Dabbarh, F., Owusu, A., Gupta, A. and Leehnert, S. 2005. Biomaterials. 26(14): 2115-20.
(16) “A validated 1H NMR method for the determination of the degree of deacetylation of chitosan” Lavertu, M., Xia, Z., Serreqi, A.N., Berrada, M., Rodrigues, A., Wang, D., Buschmann, M.D., Gupta, A.*, 2003, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 32/6, 1149-1158.
(17) “Methods and compounds for inhibiting amyloid deposits” Szarek, WA, Weaver DF, Kong X, Gupta A, Migneault D, US Patent no. 6,562,836, Issued May 13, 2003.
(18) “Thermosensitive chitosan-based hydrogel containing liposomes for the delivery of hydrophilic molecules” Ruel-Gariépy E., Leclair, G., Hildgen, P., Gupta, A., and Leroux J.C., 2002, Journal of Controlled Release, 82 : 373-383.
(19) “Compounds for inhibiting diseases and preparing cells for transplantation”, Clark, A., Fraser, P., Verchere, B., Gupta, A., Migneault, D., Szarek, W., Weaver, D. 2001 International patent application number WO 01/03680, published on 18 January, 2001.
(20) “Novel Rhodamine derivatives for photodynamic therapy of cancer”, Gupta, A.; Giasson, R.; Li, T.C.; Gaboury, L.; Villeneuve, L., US Patent no. 5556992, Issued September 17, 1996.
(21) \"Phototoxicity of some bromine substituted Rhodamine dyes: Synthesis, photophysical properties and application as photosensitizers\" , Gupta, A.; Giasson, R.; Li, T.C.; Gaboury, L.; Villeneuve, L., Durocher, G., Photochem. Photobiology, 1996, 63(2), 161-168.
(22) “A structural basis for the chiral preferences of lipases”, Cygler, M.; Grochulski, P.; Kazlauskas, R.J.; Schrag, J.D.; Bouthillier, F.; Rubin, B.; Serrequi, A. and Gupta, A., J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 1994, 116, 3180-3186.
(23) “Methine bases in the benzothiazole, benzoselenazole and quinoline series and geometry and conformational preferences of their acyl derivatives”, Gupta, A.; Ben-Mahmud, A.; Kamphuis, L.J.; Mueller, J.L.; Rigby, S.S.; Gibson, M.S.; Richardson, M.F.; Humeniuk, L.; Walker, S., Can. J. Chem., 1993, 71, 561-571.
(24) \"2-Acylidene-3,5-diaryl-2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-thiadiazoles and related compounds : A question of hypervalent S---O interactions\", Gupta, A.; Pandya, N.; Basile, A.J.; Hand, P.;MacLaurin, C.; Mohammad, T.; Ratemi, E.S.; Gibson, M.S. and Richardson, M.F., Can. J. Chem., 1993, 71, 561-571.
(25) \"Substrate modification to increase the enantioselectivity of hydrolases. A route to optically active cyclic allylic alcohols\", Gupta, A., Kazlauskas, R.J.,Tetrahedron : Asymmetry, 1993, 4, 879-888.
(26) \"Calibration plots to aid determination of high enantiomeric purity using chiral lanthanide shift reagents\", Gupta, A., Kazlauskas R.J., Tetrahedron : Asymmetry, 1991, 3, 243-246.
(27) \"A common synthetic route to the Pericarbonyl and Perimethylene Lignan lactones Dimethyl Conidendrin and Dimethyl Retrodendrin \", Gupta, A., Rodrigo, R., J.C.S. Chem. Comm. , 1989, 959-960.
(28) \" Solution properties of molten hydrates : Zinc nitrate systems \", Jain, S.K., Gupta, A., Jain, A.K., J. Chem. & Engg. Data , 1985,30 , 301.
(29) \"Ion hydration in concentrated aqueous solutions of some bivalent nitrates \", Jain, S.K., Gupta, A., Jain, A.K., Ind. J. Chem.; Sect. A , 1985, 24A(4), 340.
(30) \"Solution properties of concentrated solutions : Densities and refractive indices of Calcium nitrate solutions \", Jain, S.K., Gupta, A., Singh, V.V., Jain, A.K., Ind. J. Chem., 1984 ,23A , 808.