Dr.ROBERTO BEI M.D., Ph.D; Specialist in Medical Oncology and in Clinical Pathology; (2006-to date) Associate Professor of General Pathology, University Tor Vergata. Teaching activity: General Pathology for School of Medicine, Physiotherapy, Dietician, Medical Radiology Technician, Hospital Nurse, Human Nutrition, Residency in Endocrinology, Oncology. Bei has good number of publications and Memberships in AACR since 1996 European Society for Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy since 2006 Italian Pathology Society since 2006.
1)Analysis of immune response to tumor associated antigens (TAAs) (ErbB receptors, AFP, CEA, PSA) in cancer patients.
2)Cancer immunotherapy: anti-cancer vaccines and murine and recombinant Mabs development
3)Expression of TAAs in tumors and normal tissues
4)Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to viral proteins
5)Analysis of the effect of natural compounds on cancer cell growth.
1. R. Mariani Costantini, R. Muraro, F. Ficari, C. Valli, R. Bei, F. Tonelli, F. Caramia and L. Frati: "Immunohistochemical evidence of immune responses to tumor-associated antigens in lymph nodes of colon carcinoma patients". Cancer 67: 2880-2886, 1991.
2. R. Muraro, L. Frati, R. Bei, F. Ficari, C. Valli, D. French, S. Mammarella, F. Caramia, G. Fegiz and R. Mariani Costantini: "Regional heterogeneity and complementation in the expression of the Tumor-Associated Glycoprotein 72 epitopes in colorectal cancer". Cancer Research 51: 5378-5383, 1991.
3. M.L. Salgaller, R. Bei, J. Schlom, D.J. Poole and P.F. Robbins: "Baculovirus recombinants expressing the human carcinoembryonic antigen gene". Cancer Research 53: 2154-2161, 1993.
4. R. Bei, J. Kantor, S.V.S. Kashmiri and J. Schlom: "Serological and biochemical characterization of recombinant baculovirus Carcinoembryonic antigen". Molecular Immunology 31: 771-780, 1994.
5. R. Bei, J. Kantor, S.V.S. Kashmiri, S. Abrams and J. Schlom: "Enhanced immune responses and anti-tumor activity by baculovirus recombinant Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) in mice primed with the recombinant vaccinia CEA". J. Immunotherapy 16: 275-282, 1994.
6. R. Bei, C. Paranavitana, D. Milenic, S.V.S. Kashmiri and J. Schlom: “Generation, purification and characterization of a recombinant source of human prostate specific antigen”. J. Clin. Lab. Anal. 9: 261-268, 1995.
7. R. Bei, J. Schlom and S.V.S. Kashmiri: “Baculovirus expression of a functional single-chain immunoglobulin and its IL-2 fusion protein”. J. Immunol. Methods 186: 245-255, 1995.
8. A. Lukic, A. Moretti, MG. Giovagnoli, R. Bei, F. Nobili, G. Vetrano, V. Visco, A. Vecchione and R. Muraro: "Immunohistochemical analysis of Epidermal Growth Factor receptor (EGF-R) and c-erbB2 and correlation with pathological prognostic variables in endometrial carcinomas". Int. J. Oncology 8: 1119-1126, 1996.
9. R. Bei, A. Moretti, V. Visco, R. De Filippi, KY Tsang, L. Frati and R. Muraro: "Cell mediated cytotoxicity of human colon carcinoma cells by a monoclonal antibody (R4) recognizing the carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and CEA related-molecules". Int. J. Oncology 8:1127-1135, 1996.
10. R. Bei, V. Guptill, L. Masuelli, SVS Kashmiri, R. Muraro, L. Frati, J. Schlom and J. Kantor: “The use of a cationic liposome formulation (DOTAP) mixed with a recombinant tumor-associated antigen to induce immune responses and protective immunity in mice”. J. Immunotherapy 21: 159-169, 1998.
11. R. Bei, L. Masuelli, E. Moriconi, V. Visco, A. Moretti, M.H Kraus and R. Muraro: “Immune responses to all ErbB family receptors detectable in serum of cancer patients”. Oncogene 18: 1267-1275, 1999.
12. M. Iwahashi, DE. Milenic, E. Padlan, R. Bei, J. Schlom and SVS. Kashmiri: “CDR substitutions of a humanized monoclonal antibody (CC49): contributions of individual CDRs to antigen binding and immunogenicity”. Molecular Immunology 36: 1079-1091, 1999.
13. R. Bei, A. Budillon, MG. Reale, G. Capuano, D. Pomponi, G. Budillon, L. Frati and R. Muraro: “Cryptic epitopes on alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) induce spontaneous immune responses in hepatocellular carcinoma, liver cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis patients”. Cancer Research 59: 5471-5474, 1999.
14. V. Visco, R. Bei, E. Moriconi, W. Gianni, M.H. Kraus and R. Muraro: “ErbB2 immune response in breast cancer patients with soluble receptor ectodomain”. American J. Pathology 156: 1417-1424, 2000.
15. A. Farina, R. Santarelli, R. Gonnella, R. Bei, R. Muraro, G. Cardinali, S. Uccini, G. Ragona, L. Frati, A. Faggioni and A. Angeloni: “The BFRF1 gene of the Epstein-Barr virus encodes a novel protein”. J. Virology 74: 3235-3244, 2000.
16. S. Rovero, A. Amici, E. Di Carlo, R. Bei, P. Nanni, E. Quaglino, P. Porcedda, K. Boggio, A. Smorlesi, P-L Lollini, L. Landuzzi, M P Colombo, M. Giovarelli, P. Musiani and G. Forni: “DNA vaccination against rat Her-2/neu p185 more effectively inhibits carcinogenesis than transplantable carcinomas in transgenic BALB/c mice”. J. Immunology 165: 5133-5142, 2000.
17. R. Bei, G. Pompa, D. Vitolo, E. Moriconi, L. Ciocci, M. Quaranta, L. Frati, M.H. Kraus, and R. Muraro: “Co-localization of multiple ErbB receptors in stratified epithelium of oral squamous cell carcinomas”. J. Pathology 195: 343-348, 2001.
18. A. Signore, M. Chianelli, R. Bei, W. Oyen, A. Modesti: “Targeting cytokine/chemokine receptors: a challenge for molecular nuclear medicine” Eur J Nucl Med. 30: 149-156, 2003. Erratum: 30: 801-802, 2003.
19. F. Cipollone, A. Iezzi, M. Fazia, M. Zucchelli, B. Pini, C. Cuccurullo, D. De Cesare, G. De Blasis, R. Muraro, R. Bei, F. Chiarelli, AM. Schmidt, F. Cuccurullo, A. Mezzetti: "The receptor RAGE as a progression factor amplifying arachidonate-dependent inflammatory and proteolytic response in human atherosclerotic plaques. Role of glycemic control". Circulation 108: 1070-1077, 2003.
20. L. Masuelli, R. Bei, P. Sacchetti, I. Scappaticci, P. Francalanci, L. Albonici, A. Coletti, C. Palumbo, M. Minieri, R. Fiaccavento, F. Carotenuto, C. Fantini, L. Carosella, A. Modesti and P. Di Nardo: "β-catenin accumulates in intercalated disks of hypertrophic cardiomyopathic hearts". Cardiovascular Research 60: 376-387, 2003.
1)1998. Glaxo Wellcome Oncology Clinical Research Scholar 1998. AACR
2)1999. Award from Italian Society of Pathology and Oral Medicine.