Dr. Yimam has extensive experience in pharmaceutical research, molecular biology and veterinary medicine. Yimam is a board certified DVM. He received his doctorate degree in veterinary medicine from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. He further broadened his knowledge in the field of drug discovery by studying pharmaceutics and has acquired his master degree at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington where he focused on identifying and characterizing primate P-gp and illustrating target specific drug delivery in syngeneic experimental brain tumor model. His research currently focus on botanically derived therapeutic compounds and bioactive dietary supplements and functional foods that address consumer health needs and help improve the quality of human life. Over the years, he has made significant contribution in multiple projects through development and validation of several in vivo disease models; optimization of in vivoexperiments to support safety, efficacy, mechanism of actions and pharmacokinetics studies, ensuring research strategy and procedures in compliance with regulations and organization guidelines pursuant to FDA and other regulatory agencies. Dr. Yimam is the Winner of 9th Annual Yun-Ho Lee Award for Scientific Merit at the International aloe Science Council: (Title) Aloe chromones improve insulin sensitivity by increase of adiponectin level and their potential in maintaining healthy blood glucose levels.Dr. Yimam has published several peer reviewed articles, co-invented multiple issued and pending patents, presented his work in a range of scientific conferences and is also an invited reviewer for reputable journals for scientific publications.
2) Molecular biology
3) Insulin sensitivity
1. Yimam M, Lee YC, Hyun EJ, Jia Q. Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity of Orally Administered Botanical Composition, UP446-Part I: Effects on Embryo-Fetal Development in New Zealand White Rabbits and Sprague Dawley Rats. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2015. (In Press)
2. Yimam M, Lee YC, Kim TW, Moore B, Jiao P, Hong M, Kim HJ, Nam JB, Kim MR, Oh JS, Cleveland S, Hyun EJ, Chu M, Brownell L, Jia Q. UP1304, a botanical composition containing two standardized extracts of Curcuma longa and Morus alba, mitigates pain and inflammation in adjuvant-induced arthritic rats. Phcog Res 2015 (In press).
3. Yimam M. Identification and Characterization of Primate P-glycoprotein. J Pharmacol Pharmacother, 2015. (In Press)
4. Yimam M, Lee YC, Hyun EJ, Jia Q. Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity of Orally Administered Botanical Composition, UP446-Part III: Effects on Fertility and Early Embryonic Development to Implantation in Sprague Dawley Rats. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2015 Jul 14. doi: 10.1002/bdrb.21143.
5. Yimam M, Lee YC, Kim TW, Moore B, Jiao P, Hong M, Kim HJ, Nam JB, Kim MR, Oh JS, Cleveland S, Hyun EJ, Chu M, Jia Q. Analgesic and anti-Inflammatory effect of UP3005, a botanical composition Containing two standardized extracts of Uncaria gambir and Morus alba. Pharmacognosy Res. 2015 Jun;7(Suppl 1):S39-46. doi: 10.4103/0974-8490.157995
. 6. Yimam M, Lee YC, Hyun EJ, Jia Q. Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity of Orally Administered Botanical Composition, UP446-Part II: Effects on Prenatal and Postnatal Development, Including Maternal Function in Sprague-Dawley Rats. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2015 Jun 1. doi: 10.1002/bdrb.21142.
7. Yimam M, Lee YC, Kim TW, Moore B, Jiao P, Hong M, Kim HJ, Nam JB, Kim MR, Oh JS, Cleveland S, Hyun EJ, Chu M, Jia Q. UP3005, a Botanical Composition Containing Two Standardized Extracts of Uncaria gambir and Morus alba, Improves Pain Sensitivity and Cartilage Degradations in Monosodium Iodoacetate-Induced Rat OA Disease Model. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:785638. doi: 10.1155/2015/785638.
8. Yimam M, Zhao J, Corneliusen B, Pantier M, Brownell L, Jia Q. Blood glucose lowering activity of aloe based composition, UP780, in alloxan induced insulin dependent mouse diabetes model. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2014 May 24;6:61. doi: 10.1186/1758-5996-6-61
9. Yimam M, Brownell L, Jia Q. In vivo safety evaluation of UP780, a standardized composition of aloe chromone aloesin formulated with an Aloe vera inner leaf fillet. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014 May 14. pii: S0273-2300(14)00083-X.
10. Jiao P, Tseng-Crank J, Corneliusen B, Yimam M, Hodges M, Hong M, Maurseth C, Oh M, Kim H, Chu M, Jia Qi. Lipase inhibition and antiobesity effect of Atractylodes lancea. Planta Med. 2014 May;80(7):577-82.
11. Julie Tseng-Crank, Seon-Gil Do, Brandon Corneliusen, Carmen Hertel, Jennifer Homan, Mesfin Yimam, Jifu Zhao1, Qi Jia. UP780, a Chromone-Enriched Aloe Composition, Enhances Adipose Insulin Receptor Signaling and Decreases Liver Lipid Biosynthesis. Open Journal of Genetics, 2013, 3, 9-86.
12. Y. Lee, E. Hyun, M. Yimam, L. Brownell and Q. Jia. Acute and 26-Week Repeated Oral Dose Toxicity Study of UP446, a Combination of Scutellaria Extract and Acacia Extract in Rats. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 2013, 4, 14-27.
13. Yimam M, Brownell L, Hodges M, Jia Q. UP446, analgesic and anti-inflammatory botanical composition. Phcog Res 2013;5:139-45.
14. Yimam M, Zhao J, Corneliusen B, Pantier M, Brownell LA, Jia Q. UP780, a chromone enriched Aloe composition improves insulin sensitivity. Metab Syndr Relat Disord (2013) PMID 23573999.
15. Devaraj S, Yimam M, Brownell LA, Jialal I, Singh S, Jia Q. Effects of Aloe vera Supplementation in Subjects with Prediabetes/Metabolic Syndrome. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013 Feb;11(1):35-40.