Dr Mike Y.Y. Leung graduated BDS from the University of Hong Kong in 2004 and started his training in oral and maxillofacial surgery in Hong Kong after graduation. He obtained MDS (OMFS) and MOS RCS Edinburgh in 2008. He also received maxillofacial traumatology training for 6 months in Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, UK in 2009. He became a specialist after obtaining FCDSHK (OMS) and FHKAM(DS) in 2012. He is currently working as Clinical Assistant Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong. Dr. Leungâ€™s clinical interests are orthognathic surgery and maxillofacial trauma, and he also published multiple papers in international journals on third molars surgery and trigeminal nerve injury and repair. He is a regular invited speaker on oral and maxillofacial surgery and orthognathic surgery regionally and internationally.
4) Orthognathic surgery
5) dentofacial deformity
1) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Can coronectomy of wisdom teeth reduce the incidence of inferior dental nerve injury? Ann R Australas Coll Dent Surg. 2008 Jun;19:50-1.
2) Leung YY, Cheung LK Randomized Controlled Trial of Safety of Coronectomy versus Excision of Wisdom Teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009 Dec;108(6):821-7
3) Leung YY, Cheung LK. New approach in extraction of impacted wisdom teeth. The Hong Kong Medical Diary. 2010 Mar 15:8-9
4) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Coronectomy as a treatment of choice in wisdom teeth showing radiographic signs of close proximity to inferior dental nerve. Ann Roy Australas Coll Dent Surg 2010;20;93-94
5) Cheung LK, Leung YY, Chow LK, Wong MC, Chan EK, Fok YH. Incidence of neurosensory deficits and recovery after lower third molar surgery: a prospective clinical study of 4338 cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Apr;39(4):320-6.
6) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Does staged removal of lower third molars pose unnecessary re-operations to patients? J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Nov;68(11):2924-5;
7) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Risk Factors of Neurosensory Deficits in Lower Third Molar Surgery: A Literature Review of Prospective Studies. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Jan;40(1):1-10
8) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Correlation of Radiographic Signs, Inferior Dental Nerve Exposure and Deficit in Wisdom Tooth Surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011 Jul;69(7):1873-9
9) Cheung CW, Choi WS, Leung YY, Lui F, Ng JKF, Ho AMH, Irwin MG. A double blind randomized crossover study to evaluate the timing of pregabalin for third molar surgery under local anaesthesia. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Jan;70(1):25-30.
10) Leung YY, Fung PP, Cheung LK. Treatment modalities of neurosensory deficit after lower third molar surgery: a systematic review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Apr;70(4):768-78
11) Leung YY, Wong WY, Cheung LK.Surgical ciliated cysts may mimic radicular cysts or residual cysts of maxilla: report of 3 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Apr;70(4):e264-9.
12) Leung YY, Cheung LK. Coronectomy of the Lower Third Molar Is Safe Within the First 3 Years. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Jul;70(7):1515-22.
13) Leung YY, Lee TC, Ho SM, Cheung LK. Trigeminal neurosensory deficit and patient reported outcome measures: the effect on life satisfaction and depression symptoms. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 29;8(8):e72891. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072891.
14) Leung YY, McGrath C, Cheung LK. Trigeminal neurosensory deficit and patient reported outcome measures: the effect on quality of life. PLoS One. 2013 Oct 29;8(10):e77391. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0077391
15) Alolayan AB, Leung YY. Risk Factors of Neurosensory Disturbance following Orthognathic Surgery. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 5;9(3):e91055. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0091055
16) Leung YY. Coronectomy of Lower Third Molar With Guided Bone Regeneration: The Pilot Study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. In press.