Dr. Sudan Prasad Neupane is a Researcher at the Norwegian Centre for Addiction Research (SERAF) at the University of Oslo. He conducted his PhD research on the Psychoneuroimmunology of comorbid major depression in individuals with alcohol-use disorders. His research interests have been on novel neuroimmunological biomarkers in depression and alcohol disorders. His numerous scientific publications cover areas of Psychiatric comorbidity, vitamin D deficiency and biomarkers in alcohol dependence. His current research is dedicated in the importance of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the course of alcohol dependence and recovery. Finally, Dr. Neupane aims to extend addiction research to low-income settings where substance misuse problems are on the rise.
2)Novel neuroimmunological biomarkers in depression
3) Alcohol disorders
1) Neupane SP, Lien L, Ueland T, Mollnes TE, Aukrust P, Bramness JG (2015) Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels in relation to comorbid depression and cytokine levels in Nepalese men with alcohol-use disorders. Alcohol.[doi:10.1016/j.alcohol.2015.01.012]
2) Neupane SP, Lien L, Martinez P, Hestad K, Bramness JG (2015) The relationship of alcohol-use disorders and depressive symptoms to tryptophan metabolism: cross-sectional data from a Nepalese alcohol treatment sample Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 3:514–521. doi:10.1111/acer.12651
3) Avagyan D, Neupane SP, Gundersen TE, Madar AA (expected 2015) Vitamin D status in pre-school children in rural Nepal. Public Health Nutrition [http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S136898001500083X]
4) Murray CJL….Neupane SP, et al. (2014) Global, regional, and national levels of age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61682-2.
5) Neupane SP (2014) Equity in health care in Nepal. The Lancet 384:1346-1347.
6) Neupane SP, Bramness JG (2014) Who seeks treatment for alcohol problems? Demography and alcohol-use characteristics of patients in taboo and non-taboo drinking groups attending professional alcohol services in Nepal. Asian J Psychiatr 12:82-87.
7) Neupane SP, Lien L, Martinez P, Aukrust P, Ueland T, Mollnes TE, Hestad K, Bramness JG (2014) High Frequency and Intensity of Drinking may Attenuate Increased Inflammatory Cytokine Levels of Major Depression in Alcohol-use Disorders. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics 20:898-904.
8) Murray CJ, Ortblad KF, Guinovart C….Neupane SP et al. (2014) Global, regional, and national incidence and mortality for HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria during 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet. ISSN 0140-6736. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60844-8
9) Neupane, SP & Bramness, JG (2013). Prevalence and correlates of major depression among Nepalese patients in treatment for alcohol-use disorders. Drug and Alcohol Review. ISSN 0959-5236. 32(2), s 170- 177 . doi: 10.1111/j.1465-3362.2012.00487.x
10) Neupane, SP; Lien, L; Hilberg, T & Bramness, JG (2013). Vitamin D deficiency in alcohol-use disorders and its relationship to comorbid major depression: A cross-sectional study of inpatients in Nepal. Drug And Alcohol Dependence. ISSN 0376-8716. 133(2), s 480- 485. doi:10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2013.07.006
11) Neupane, SP (2011). Prevalence and correlates of major depression and anxiety disorders among patients with alcohol-use disorders in Nepal. Diss. University of Oslo, http://urn.nb.no/URN:NBN:no-29755.
12) Kassebaum NJ, Bertozzi-Villa A, Coggeshall MS, Shackelford KA…Neupane, SP et al., (2014). Global, regional, and national levels and causes of maternal mortality during 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet. ISSN 0140-6736. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60696-6