Dr. Feras Hawari, MD, FCCP is the Director of the CCO in addition to his other duties as Chief of Pulmonary and Critical Care Service and Director of the Respiratory Unit. He also serves as the Regional Director for Global Bridges in the Eastern Mediterranean Region. Before joining KHCC, he worked at the Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Branch (PCCMB) at the U.S National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) at the U.S National Institute of Health (NIH). At KHCC Dr. Hawari established and currently heads the in-patient (consult) and out-patient TDT service at KHCC, is the lead trainer in KHCC\'s tobacco dependence treatment training in the Eastern Mediterranean region, and technically supervised development of the Jordan Guidelines for Tobacco Dependence Treatment. He also heads the committee for Smokefree Certificate Program, and is active in research on tobacco control and has presented KHCC\'s work in several international forums. Dr. Hawari represents KHCC on the National Tobacco Control Committee, on the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Alliance against Cancer, is a board member of treatobacco.net, and on the International Consortium interested in generating a body of knowledge on water-pipe and its harms on global health. Dr. Hawari is an expert consultant on cancer control for the WHO and for the International Atomic Energy Agency and a temporary advisor for the WHO on a new advisory note on Waterpipe tobacco smoking. He is board certified in internal medicine, clinical pharmacology, pulmonary diseases, and critical care medicine. He is a fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians.
2) Internal medicine,
3) clinical pharmacology,
4) pulmonary diseases,
1. Characteristics and Outcomes of Acinetobacter baumannii Infections in Critically Ill Patients with Cancer: A Matched Case–Control Study . LH Nazer, A Kharabsheh, D Rimawi, S Mubarak, F Hawari. Microbial Drug Resistance. (in press)
2. Effect of nebulized colistin on the ventilator circuit: a prospective pilot case- control study from a single cancer center.Ghonimat IM, Nazer LH, Aqel F, Mohammad MK, Hawari FI, Le J. Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2015 Apr 20;7(1):e2015032.
3. Predictors of cigarette smoking across five countries: a cross sectional study. Susan Abughosh, Ekere James Essien, Feras Hawari, Ronald J Peters, Xin Wang, Yasser Almogbel, Mo Yang, Prajakta Bhounsule, Sujit Sansgiry, I-Hsuan Wu. Journal of Behavioral Health 4 (1), 7-13. 2015.
4. Advancing tobacco dependence treatment services in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: international collaboration for training and capacity building. Hawari FI, Bader RK. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014 Nov;14(4):e442-7.
5. Evaluating the effectiveness and safety of hydrocortisone therapy in cancer patients with septic shock.Nazer L, Alnajjar T, Al-Shaer M, Rimawi D, Hawari F.J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2014 Apr 29. 27(2):208-13. doi: 10.1177/0897190013513302.
6. Smoking Cessation Treatment and Outcomes in Medium to Heavy Cigarette Smokers being Treated for Cancer in Jordan. Hawari FI, Obeidat NA, Ayub HS, Dawahrah SS, Hawari SF. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14(11):6875-81. PMID: 24377503.
7. Adverse drug events in critically ill patients with cancer: incidence, characteristics, and outcomes. Nazer LH, Hawari FI, Al-Najjar T. J Oncolo Pharm Pract. 2013 Dec;19(4):298-304. doi: 10.1177/1078155212465995
8. Drug utilization pattern and cost for the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock in critically ill cancer patients. Nazer L, Al-Shaer M, Hawari F. Int J Clin Pharm. 2013 Dec;35(6):1245-50. doi: 10.1007/s11096-013-9860-2..
9. The acute effects of water-pipe smoking on lung function and exercise capacity in a pilot study of healthy participants. Hawari FI, Obeidat NA, Ayub H, Ghonimat I, Eissenberg T, Dawahrah S, Beano H. Inhal Toxicol. 2013 Aug;25(9):492-7.
10. Beliefs in various smoking cessation interventions among Jordanian adult smokers: Susan Abughosh, Feras Hawari, Ekere James Essien, Ronald J Peters, I-Hsuan Wu. J Behav Health. 2013; 2(3): 213-222.
11. Adverse drug events resulting in admission to the intensive care unit in oncology patients: Incidence, characteristics and associated cost. Lama H Nazer, Rana Eljaber, Dalia Rimawi, and Feras I Hawari. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2013 Dec;19(4):298-304. doi: 10.1177/1078155212465995.
12. Cancer-related knowledge, attitudes, and risk perception among 6 grade students in Jordan Shihab RA, Obeidat NA, Bader RK, Shtaiwi A, Ayub A, Hawari FI. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012;172:155-60 PMID: 22910516.
13. Ethnicity and waterpipe smoking among US Students. Abughosh S, Wu I; Peters RJ, Hawari F, Essien EJ. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 Nov;16(11):1551-7. doi: 10.5588/ijtld.12.0152.
14. Waterpipe Smoking Among Jordanian Adults: Predictors and Correlates. Susan Abughosh, PhD; Mo Yang, Ms; I-Hsuan W; Suhit Sansgiry, PhD; Feras Hawari, MD; Ronald J. Peters DrPH; E James Essien, MD, DrPH. Journal of Behavioral Health 2012;1(1):7-15.
15. Cigarette Smoking among Jordanian Adults. Susan Abughosh, PhD1; I-Hsuan Wu, BS, Feras Hawari, MD, Ronald J Peters, DrPH, Mo Yang, MS, Rustin Crutchley, Pharm.D, AAHIVE, Ekere James Essien, MD, DrPH. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance abuse 2012;11(2):101-12.