Gianluca Serafini is born in Avezzano (L’Aquila), Italy, in 1978 from Italian parents. He took his degree in Medicine and Surgery at Sapienza University of Rome, later becoming psychiatrist. In 2012, he obtained his Ph.D. in Psychiatry: Early Interventions in Psychosis. He is actually Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at University of Genoa, Section of Psychiatry, IRCSS San Martino, Italy. From over ten years he worked as clinician and researcher at Sant’Andrea Hospital in Rome where from 2007 he is an active member of the Center for Suicide Prevention. His major research interests include: neurobiology and neuroimaging of suicidal behaviour and major affective disorders, psychopharmacology, and neuroplasticity. He has been included in “2010 Marquis Who’s Who in the World”, “2011 Marquis Who’s Who in the World”, “2012 Marquis Who’s Who in the World”, “2013 Marquis Who’s Who in the World”, “2014 Marquis Who’s Who in the World” and he is a fellow of several scientific Societies (New York Academy of Sciences, International Society for Affective Disorders, International Association for Suicide Prevention, World Suicidology Net, Sociedad Española De Patología Dual, European Psychiatric Association (Secretary of the Neuroimaging section), Società Italiana di Psichiatria, Associazione Italiana Lotta allo Stigma). He is an active researcher being the author of more than 140 publications scientific contributions (author of more than 90 articles in peer reviewed international and national journals, author of approximately 35 book chapters, author of more than 20 abstract/posters in peer reviewed international journals). From 2007 he was a speaker in 115 national and international conferences and he is currently Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Life Medicine and Journal of Medical Disorders, Associate Editor of 2 international journals. He actually serves as reviewer for 81 peer-reviewed international journals, and he is Editorial/Advisory Board member of 32 peer-reviewed international journals.
2) Neuroimaging of suicidal behaviour
3) Major affective disorders 4) Psychopharmacology
1. Serafini G, Gonda X, Rihmer Z, Pompili M, Girardi P, Nasrallah HA, Amore M. NMDA Receptor antagonists for Depression: critical considerations. Annals of Clinical Psychiatry (in press). I.F. 2.53
2. Serafini G, Pompili M, Belvederi Murri M, Respino M, Ghio L, Girardi P, Fitzgerald PB, Amore M. The effects of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on cognitive performance in treatment-resistant depression. A systematic review. Neuropsychobiology (in press). I.F. 2.303
3. Belvederi Murri M, Guaglianone A, Bugliani M, Calcagno P, Respino M, Serafini G, Innamorati M, Pompili M, Amore M. Second-Generation Antipsychotics and Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome: Systematic Review and Case Report Analysis. Drugs R D. 2015 15(1):45-62.
4. Ghio L, Gotelli S, Cervetti A, Respino M, Natta W, Marcenaro M, Serafini G, Vaggi M, Amore M, Belvederi Murri M. Duration of untreated depression influences clinical outcomes and disability. J Affect Disord. 2015;175C:224-228. I.F. 3.705
5. Pompili M, Serafini G, Innamorati M, Montebovi F, Lamis DA, Milelli M, Giuliani M, Caporro M, Tisei P, Lester D, Amore M, Girardi P, Buttinelli C. Factors associated with hopelessness in epileptic patients. World J Psychiatry. 2014;4(4):141-149.
6. Pompili M, Venturini P, Lamis DA, Giordano G, Serafini G, Belvederi Murri M, Amore M, Girardi P. Suicide in stroke survivors: epidemiology and prevention. Drugs Aging. 2015;32(1):21-29. I.F. 3.705
7. Eory A, Rozsa S, Gonda X, Dome P, Torzsa P, Simavorian T, Fountoulakis KN, Pompili M, Serafini G, Akiskal KK, Akiskal HS, Rihmer Z, Kalabay L. The association of affective temperaments with smoking initiation and maintenance in adult primary care patients. J Affect Disord. 2014;172C:397-402. I.F. 3.705
8. Serafini G, Hayley S, Dwivedi Y, Brahmachari G, Girardi P, Amore M. Hippocampal neurogenesis, neurotrophic factors and depression: possible therapeutic targets? CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2014;13(10):1708-1721 I.F. 3.769
9. Pompili M, Dominici G, Giordano G, Longo L, Serafini G, Lester D, Amore M, Girardi P. Electroconvulsive treatment during pregnancy: a systematic review. Exp Rev Neurother. 2014;14(12):1377-90. I.F. 2.834
10. Pompili M, Innamorati M, Gonda X, Serafini G, Erbuto D, Ricci F, Fountoulakis KN, Lester D, Vazquez G, Rihmer Z, Amore M, Girardi P. Pharmacotherapy in bipolar disorders during hospitalization and at discharge predicts psychosocial functioning at follow-up. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2014;29(6):578-88. I.F. 1.854
11. Serafini G, Pompili M, Borgwardt S, Giuffra E, Howes O, Girardi P, Amore M. The role of white matter abnormalities in treatment-resistant depression: a systematic review. Curr Pharm Des. 2015;21(10):1337-1346 I.F. 3.87
12. Serafini G, Howland RH, Rovedi F, Girardi P, Amore M. The role of ketamine in treatment-resistant depression: a systematic review. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2014;12(5):444-461. I.F. 2.347
13. Pompili M. Innamorati M, Lamis DA, Erbuto D, Venturini P, Ricci F, Serafini G, Amore M, Girardi P. The associations among childhood maltreatment, “male depression” and suicide risk in psychiatric patients. Psychiatry Res. 2014;220(1-2):571-8. I.F. 2.456 8
14. Serafini G, Pompili M, Borgwardt S, Houenou J, Geoffroy PA, Jardri R, Girardi P, Amore M. Brain changes in early-onset bipolar and unipolar depressive disorders: a systematic review in children and adolescents. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014;23(11):1023-41. I.F. 3.699
15. Serafini G, Gonda X, Rihmer Z, Girardi P, Amore M. White matter abnormalities: Insights into the pathophysiology of major affective disorders. World J Radiol. 2014; 6(6): 223-229.