Tzi Bun Ng, Ph.D., is Professor of Biochemistry in the Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, HKSAR. After completing his BSc at The University of Hong Kong, he obtained his Ph.D. degree from the Memorial University of Newfoundland in Canada. He pursued his postdoctoral training at University of California, San Francisco, USA, and sabbatical research at the Imperial College London, In the past 30 years, his team made many contributions to the field of bioactive compounds and proteins, represented in more than 630 international peer-reviewed papers
1)The health-benefits of proteins and peptides including polysaccharopeptides
2)Antimicrobial peptides, lectins, enzymes and protease inhibitors
3)Isolation and characterization of enzymes of human, plant, bacterial and fungal origins
5)Proteins and peptides with anticancer activity in tumor-bearing animals, antiproliferative activity toward cancer cells and immunomodulatory activity
7)Roles of the Receptors of Hormones.
1. Gene Chi Wai Man, William Wei Jun Wang, Annie Po Yee Yim, Jack Ho Wong, Tzi Bun Ng, Tsz Ping Lam, Simon Kwong Man Lee Bobby Kin Wah Ng, Chi Chiu Wang 1 , Yong Qiu and Jack Chun Yiu Cheng, A Review of Pinealectomy-Induced Melatonin-Deficient Animal Models for the Study of Etiopathogenesis of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2014, 15, 16484–16499 Corrections in Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2015, 16, 3017-3018
2. Akkouh O, Ng TB, Singh SS, Yin C, Dan X, Chan YS, Pan W, Cheung RC. Lectins with Anti-HIV Activity: A Review. Molecules. 2015 Jan 6;20(1):648-668.
3. Singh SS, Wang H, Chan YS, Pan W, Dan X, Yin CM, Akkouh O, Ng TB. Lectins from Edible Mushrooms. Molecules. 2014 Dec 31;20(1):446-469.
4. Zhang W, Tian G, Geng X, Zhao Y, Ng TB, Zhao L, Wang H. Isolation and characterization of a novel lectin from the edible mushroom Stropharia rugosoannulata. Molecules. 2014 Nov 28;19(12):19880-91.
5. Wong JH, Liu Z, Law KW, Liu F, Xia L, Wan DC, Ng TB. A study of effects of peptide fragments of bovine and human lactoferrins on activities of three key HIV-1 enzymes. Peptides. 2014 Dec;62:183-8.
6. Singh SS, Devi SK, Ng TB. Banana lectin: a brief review. Molecules. 2014 Nov 17;19(11):18817-27.
7. Wang G, Huang X, Ng TB, Lin J, Ye XY. High phylogenetic diversity of glycosyl hydrolase family 10 and 11 xylanases in the sediment of Lake Dabusu in China.PLoS One. 2014 Nov 13;9(11):e112798. impact factor=3.534,ranking=8/55,Q1
8. Yang J, Lin Q, Ng TB, Ye X, Lin J. Purification and characterization of a novel laccase from Cerrena sp. HYB07 with dye decolorizing ability. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 30;9(10):e110834. impact factor=3.534,ranking=8/55,Q1
9. Yin C, Wong JH, Ng TB. Recent studies on the antimicrobial peptides lactoferricin and lactoferrampin. Curr Mol Med. 2014;14(9):1139-54. impact factor=3.612,ranking=31/124
10. Wang WW, Man GC, Wong JH, Ng TB, Lee KM, Ng BK, Yeung HY, Qiu Y, Cheng JC. Abnormal response of the proliferation and differentiation of growth plate chondrocytes to melatonin in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Int J Mol Sci. 2014 Sep 25;15(9):17100-14.
11. Li X, Fang EF, Scheibye-Knudsen M, Cui H, Qiu L, Li J, He Y, Huang J, Bohr VA, Ng TB, Guo H. Di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate inhibits DNA replication leading to hyperPARylation, SIRT1 attenuation, and mitochondrial dysfunction in the testis. Sci Rep. 2014 Sep 22;4:6434. impact factor=5.078,ranking=5/55 ,Q1
12. Chan YS, Ng TB. Bauhinia variegata var. variegata Lectin: Isolation, Characterization, and Comparison. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2015 Jan;175(1):75-84.
13. Chen RR, Liu ZK, Liu F, Ng TB. Antihyperglycaemic mechanisms of an aceteoside polymer from rose flowers and a polysaccharide-protein complex from abalone mushroom. Nat Prod Res. 2015 Mar;29(6):558-61.
14. Wang Y, Liang WC, Pan WL, Law WK, Hu JS, Ip DT, Waye MM, Ng TB, Wan DC. Silibinin, a novel chemokine receptor type 4 antagonist, inhibits chemokine ligand 12-induced migration in breast cancer cells. Phytomedicine. 2014 Sep 25;21(11):1310-7. impact factor=2.877,ranking=2/22,Q1
15. Dan X, Liu W, Ng TB. Chinese bystanders in medical emergencies: apathetic or bewildered? Emerg Med J. 2014 Sep;31(9):698-9.
16. Liu Q, Tian G, Yan H, Geng X, Cao Q, Wang H, Ng TB. Characterization of polysaccharides with antioxidant and hepatoprotective activities from the wild edible mushroom Russula vinosa Lindblad. J Agric Food Chem. 2014 Sep 3;62(35):8858-66. impact factor=3.107,ranking=2/56,Q1
17. Li CH, Xu F, Chow S, Feng L, Yin D, Ng TB, Chen Y. Hepatitis B virus X protein promotes hepatocellular carcinoma transformation through interleukin-6 activation of microRNA-21 expression. Eur J Cancer. 2014 Oct;50(15):2560-9. impact factor=4.819,ranking=41/203,Q1
18. Wong KL, Wong RN, Zhang L, Liu WK, Ng TB, Shaw PC, Kwok PC, Lai YM, Zhang ZJ, Zhang Y, Tong Y, Cheung HP, Lu J, Sze SC. Bioactive proteins and peptides isolated from Chinese medicines with pharmaceutical potential. Chin Med. 2014 Jul 19;9:19. impact factor=2.343,ranking=4/22,Q1
19. Wang L, Ma Z, Du F, Wang H, Ng TB. Feruloyl esterase from the edible mushroom Panus giganteus: a potential dietary supplement. J Agric Food Chem. 2014 Aug 6;62(31):7822-7. impact factor=3.107,ranking=2/56,Q1
20. Sun J, Ng TB, Wang H, Zhang G. A novel hemagglutinin with antiproliferative activity against tumor cells from the hallucinogenic mushroom Boletus speciosus. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:340467.
21. Feldinger K, Generali D, Kramer-Marek G, Gijsen M, Ng TB, Wong JH, Strina C, Cappelletti M, Andreis D, Li JL, Bridges E, Turley H, Leek R, Roxanis I, Capala J, Murphy G, Harris AL, Kong A. ADAM10 mediates trastuzumab resistance and is correlated with survival in HER2 positive breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2014 Aug 30;5(16):6633-46. impact factor=6.627,ranking=17/203,Q1
22. Li RK, Chen P, Ng TB, Yang J, Lin J, Yan F, Ye XY. Highly efficient expression and characterization of a β-mannanase from Bacillus subtilis in Pichia pastoris. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2014 May 26.
23. Lau KM, Wong JH, Wu YO, Cheng L, Wong CW, To MH, Lau CP, Yew DT, Leung PC, Fung KP, Hui M, Ng TB, Lau CB. Anti-dermatophytic activity of bakuchiol: in vitro mechanistic studies and in vivo tinea pedis-inhibiting activity in a guinea pig model. Phytomedicine. 2014 Jun 15;21(7):942-5. impact factor=2.877,ranking=2/22,Q1
24. Zhao Y, Ahmad AM, Cheung RC, Ng TB. Isolation and characterization of a lectin from Japanese mottled beans. Protein Pept Lett. 2014 Jul;21(7):696-704.
25. Pan WL, Wong JH, Fang EF, Chan YS, Ng TB, Cheung RC. Preferential ytotoxicity of the type I ribosome inactivating protein alpha-momorcharin on human nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells under normoxia and hypoxia. Biochem Pharmacol. 2014 Jun 1;89(3):329-39. impact factor=4.65 ,ranking=25/256,Q1
26. Wang CR, Zhou R, Ng TB, Wong JH, Qiao WT, Liu F. First report on isolation of methyl gallate with antioxidant, anti-HIV-1 and HIV-1 enzyme inhibitory activities from a mushroom (Pholiota adiposa). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014 Mar;37(2):626-37.
27. Cheung RC, Wong JH, Pan WL, Chan YS, Yin CM, Dan XL, Wang HX, Fang EF, Lam SK, Ngai PH, Xia LX, Liu F, Ye XY, Zhang GQ, Liu QH, Sha O, Lin P, Ki C, Bekhit AA, Bekhit Ael-D, Wan DC, Ye XJ, Xia J, Ng TB. Antifungal and antiviral products of marine organisms. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2014 Apr;98(8):3475-94.impact factor=3.811 ,ranking=32/165,Q1
28. Zhang R, Tian G, Zhao Y, Zhao L, Wang H, Gong Z, Ng TB. A novel ribonuclease with HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity purified from the fungus Ramaria formosa. J Basic Microbiol. 2015 Feb;55(2):269-75.
29. Guan SZ, Liu JW, Fang EF, Ng TB, Lian YL, Ge H. Chronic unpredictable mild stress impairs erythrocyte immune function and changes T-lymphocyte subsets in a rat model of stress-induced depression. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014 Jan 1; 37(1):414-422.
30. Wang Y, Pan WL, Liang WC, Law WK, Tsz-Ming Ip D, Ng TB, Miu-Yee Waye M, Chi-Cheong Wan D. Acetylshikonin, a Novel AChE Inhibitor, Inhibits Apoptosis via Upregulation of Heme Oxygenase-1 Expression in SH-SY5Y Cells. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013:937370.
31. Ma Z, Zhang W, Wang L, Zhu M, Wang H, Feng WH, Ng TB. A novel compound from the mushroom Cryptoporus volvatus inhibits porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus (PRRSV) in vitro. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 18;8(11):e79333. impact factor=3.534,ranking=8/55,Q1
32. Zhang R, Zhao L, Wang H, Ng TB. A novel ribonuclease with antiproliferative activity toward leukemia and lymphoma cells and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activity from the mushroom, Hohenbuehelia serotina. Int J Mol Med. 2014 Jan; 33(1):209-14.
33. Zhang Y, Liu Z, Ng TB, Chen Z, Qiao W, Liu F. Purification and characterization of a novel antitumor protein with antioxidant and deoxyribonuclease activity from edible mushroom Pholiota nameko. Biochimie. 2013 Nov 1. pii: S0300-9084(13)00387-8. impact factor=3.123
34. Tian GT, Zhu MJ, Wu YY, Liu Q, Wang HX, Ng TB. Purification and characterization of a protein with antifungal, antiproliferative, and HIV-1 reverse transcriptase inhibitory activities from small brown-eyed cowpea seeds. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2013 Jul;60(4):393-8.
35. Dan XL, Ng TB. Lectins in human cancer: both a devil and an angel? Curr Protein Pept Sci. 2013 Sep;14(6):481-91.
(1)Invited Chapter in Book “Fungal Biotechnology in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Applications. Tzi Bun Ng (2004) Fungi and fermented food.In:Fungal Biotechnology in Agricultural, Food and Environmental Applications. ( Editor:Dilip Arora, Associate Editors:Paul D. Bridge and Deepak Bhatnagar) Chapter19.pp.217-222.Marcel Dekker.
(2) Invited Chapter in Book “Handbook of Fungal Biotechnology” Tzi Bun Ng (2004) Bioactive fungal polysaccharides and polysaccharopeptides. In:Handbook of Fungal Biotechnology ( Editor:Dilip Arora, Associate Editors:Paul D. Bridge and Deepak Bhatnagar) Chapter 25.pp.331 -340.Marcel Dekker.
(3)Invited Chapters in Book “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (first and second editions) 1. K.T. Chu, H.X. Wang, and T.B. Ng (2006)Fungal peptides with antifungal activity.In: “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (first edition) (Abba J Kastin ed), Chapter19, pp.125-129.Academic Press. 2. J.H. Wong and T.B. Ng (2006)Toxins from basidiomycete fungi (mushrooms):Amatoxins,phallotoxins and virotoxins.In: “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (first edition) (A J Kastin ed), Chapter 20, pp.131-135.Academic Press. 3. T.B. Ng and H.X. Wang (2006)Fungal peptides with ribonuclease activity.In: “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (first edition) (Abba J Kastin ed), Chapter 21 pp.137-143.Academic Press. 4. T.B. Ng (2006)Fungal with ribosome inactivating proteins.In: “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (first edition) (Abba J Kastin ed), Chapter 22pp.145-149.Academic Press. 5.Tzi Bun Ng (2013) Fungal peptides with ribonuclease and ribosome inactivating activities in book “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (second edition) (Abba J Kastin ed), Chapter 24, pp.162-165.Academic Press 6.Tzi Bun Ng (2013) Antifungal and antibacterial peptides of fungal origin.in book “Handbook of Biologically Active Peptides” (second edition) (Abba J Kastin ed), Chapter 23, pp.157-161. Academic Press . (4)Invited Chapter In Book “Handbook of New Technologies for Genetic Improvement of Legumes” Jack Ho Wong and Tzi Bun Ng (2008) Defensins in legumes.In: Handbook of New Technologies for Genetic Improvement of Legumes. ( Editor:P.B.Kirti) pp 617-628.CRC Press.
(5)Invited Book Chapters In Book “Novel therapeutic Agents from Plants” ( Editors:Maria Cecilia Carpinella and Mahendra Rai) 1. Tzi Bun Ng and Jack Ho Wong (2009)A review of antifungal and antiviral proteins.In:Novel therapeutic Agents from Plants.( Editors:Maria Cecilia Carpinella and Mahendra Rai). Chapter 8. pp.208-238. Scince Publishers. 2. Tzi Bun Ng and Jack Ho Wong (2009)Compounds with antioxidant activity from herbs. In:Novel therapeutic Agents from Plants.( Editors:Maria Cecilia Carpinella and Mahendra Rai). Chapter 9. pp.239-265. Scince Publishers.
(6)Invited Book Chapters Published In 2011 In Book “Nuts And Seeds In Health And Disease" (Preedy VR, Watson RR, Patel VB Eds) 1.Tzi Bun Ng, Sze Kwan Lam, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Jack Ho Wong, Hexiang Wang,Patrick Hung Kiu Ngai, Xiujuan Ye,Yau Sang Chan, Evandro Fei Fang.Therapeutic effects of caper seeds. Chapter 33, pp 279-283. 2.Tzi Bun Ng, Jack Ho Wong, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Patrick Hung Kiu Ngai, Hexiang Wang, Xiujuan Ye, Sze Kwan Lam, Yau Sang Chan, Evandro Fei Fang.Antiproliferative activities of Chinese cabbage seeds. Chapter 38, pp 317-321. 3.Tzi Bun Ng, Patrick Hung Kiu Ngai, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Jack Ho Wong, Sze Kwan Lam, Hexiang Wang, Xiujuan Ye, Yau Sang Chan, Evandro Fei Fang.Antifungal and mitogenic activities of cluster pepper seeds. Chapter 41, pp 345-349 4.Tzi Bun Ng, Sze Kwan Lam, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Jack Ho Wong, Hexiang Wang,Patrick Hung Kiu Ngai, Xiujuan Ye, Evandro Fei Fang, Yau Sang Chan.Antifungal protein from passion fruit seeds. Chapter 102 , pp 865-871 5.Tzi Bun Ng, Jack Ho Wong, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Sze Kwan Lam, Hexiang Wang,Patrick Xiujuan Ye, Hung Kiu Ngai, Evandro Fei Fang, Yau Sang Chan.Antifungal and antiproliferative activities of spotted bean seeds. Chapter 127, pp 1073-1077 6.Tzi Bun Ng, Hung Kiu Ngai, Randy Chi Fai Cheung, Jack Ho Wong, Sze Kwan Lam, Hexiang Wang, Xiujuan Ye, Evandro Fei Fang, Yau Sang Chan. Cabbage seeds and their health promoting activities. Chapter 137, pp 1159-1163