Dr. Nikhil Tyagi is working at University of South Alabama Mitchell Cancer Institute (USAMCI). He received his Ph.D. degree in 2011 from Delhi University, India. During his Ph.D., he worked in the area of nanotechnology with specific focus on targeted drug delivery to cancer cells. Currently, he is working on the various aspects of cancer biology that includes understanding the molecular mechanism of progression and metastasis of pancreatic, prostate, breast and skin cancer, development of novel delivery systems for target specific drug delivery and application of silver nanoparticles for prevention of skin cancer.
Cancer Growth and Metastasis
Signaling in Skin, pancreatic, prostate and breast cancer
1. Srivastava SK, Bhardwaj A, Arora S, Tyagi N, Singh S, Andrews J, McClellan S, Wang B and Singh AP. MicroRNA-345 induces apoptosis in pancreatic cancer cells through potentiation of caspase-dependent and -independent pathways. Br J Cancer. 2015 Aug 11;113(4):660-8.
2. Srivastava SK, Bhardwaj A, Arora S, Tyagi N, Singh AP, Carter JE, Scammell JG, Fodstad Ø, Singh S. Interleukin-8 is a key mediator of FKBP51-induced melanoma growth, angiogenesis and metastasis. Br J Cancer. 2015 May 26;112(11):1772-81.
3. Deshmukh SK, Srivastava SK, Bhardwaj A, Singh AP, Tyagi N, Marimuthu S, Dyess DL, Dal Zotto V, Carter JE, Singh S. Resistin and interleukin-6 exhibit racially-disparate expression in breast cancer patients, display molecular association and promote growth and aggressiveness of tumor cells through STAT3 activation. Oncotarget. 2015 May 10;6(13):11231-41.
4. Arora S, Tyagi N, Bhardwaj A, Rusu L, Palanki R, Vig K, Singh SR, Singh AP, Palanki S, Miller ME, Carter JE, Singh S. Silver nanoparticles protect human keratinocytes against UVB-induced DNA damage and apoptosis: potential for prevention of skin carcinogenesis. Nanomedicine. 2015 Mar 21. pii: S1549-9634(15)00077-5.
5. Bhardwaj A, Srivastava SK, Singh S, Arora S, Tyagi N, Andrews J, McClellan S, Carter JE, Singh AP. CXCL12/CXCR4 signaling counteracts docetaxel-induced microtubule stabilization via p21-activated kinase 4-dependent activation of LIM domain kinase 1. Oncotarget. 2014 Nov 30; 5(22):11490-500.
6. Tyagi N, Bhardwaj A, Singh AP, McClellan S, Carter JE, Singh S. p-21 activated kinase 4 promotes proliferation and survival of pancreatic cancer cells through AKT- and ERK-dependent activation of NF-κB pathway. Oncotarget. 2014 Sep 30; 5(18):8778-89.
7. Tyagi N, Ghosh PC. Folate receptor mediated targeted delivery of ricin entrapped into sterically stabilized liposomes in combination with folate targeted liposomal monensin. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2011 Jul 17; 43(4):343-53.
8. Tyagi N, Rathore SS, Ghosh PC. Enhanced killing of human epidermoid carcinoma (KB) cells by treatment with ricin encapsulated into sterically stabilized liposomes in Combination with monensin. Drug Deliv. 2011 Aug; 18(6):394-404.
9. Tyagi N, Rathore SS, Ghosh PC. Efficacy of Liposomal Monensin on the Enhancement of the Antitumour Activity of Liposomal Ricin in Human Epidermoid Carcinoma (KB) Cells. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2013 Jan; 75(1):16-22.