I obtained masters degree in Environmental Toxicology from Dr.A.L.M. Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences (Madras University), Chennai and doctoral degreee (PhD) in Biochemistry from RTM Nagpur University Nagpur, India. I have been serving in CSIR-NEERI since September 1995, prior to this I was working as Scientist at CSIR-IITR, Lucknow from 1st January 1992 till August 1995 in the areas of biochemical and genetic toxicology of asbestos fibers and its alternates using In Vitro and In Vivo systems. The Division I represent at CSIR-NEERI deals on Occupational and Environmental Health (air & water pollution). My specializations include environmental and industrial toxicology, environmental monitoring, exposure assessment and health risk assessment including climatechange and health impacts, mitigation of GHG using microbial system vis a vis value addition in the forms of biofuel, pharmceutical and food products etc. As head of the department at Environmental Health Division, I am responsible for the management of all air pollution, climate change and health related research projects, sponsored research projects on mitigation/sequestration of CO2 vis a vis product delelopment, teaching programmes in AcSIR, consultancies as well as conduct state of art short term training programs in occupational safety & environmental health. About 25 years of research experience, so far been involved in over 35 research and consultancy projects in various capacities as principal investigator, co-principal investigator and co-investigator. My special interest is to carry out biomarkers based exposure assessment, developing new monitoring technologies for air pollution exposure assessment studies also study the impact of air pollution on climate change and health. I have served as an expert committee member to review Centre of advanced research on air pollution and health effects at SRU, Chennai an ICMR, new Delhi sponsored research project, as a committee member on climatechange and health at Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi. I served as member of Board of Studies in Biotechnology at RTMNU, Nagpur, Medical committee member at CSIR-NEERI, Nagpur, I have organized about seven National and International conferences in the capacities of member, co-organizing secretary and Organizing Secretary. I am an Editorial Board member for about five International Journals, reviewer for about 15 National and international journals. I have published about 70 publications in various National and International journals, presented papers in about 120 National and International conferences, I have three international patents to my credit. My future plans are to continue my engagement in occupational and environmental health and climatechange mitigation research that are likely to bring changes in policy that have an impact in reducing health burden of our country.
Environmental and Industrial toxicology, Environmental Monitoring, Exposure Assessment and Health risk assessment including Climate Change and Health impacts, Mitigation of GHG using microbial system vis a vis value addition in the forms of biofuel, Pharmceutical and Food products.
1. Elango Bhakkiyalakshmi, Natarajan Suganya, Dornadula Sireesh, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Sivanesan Saravana Devi, Palanisamy Rajaguru, Kunka Mohanram Ramkumar. Carvacrol induces mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in HL-60 promyelocytic and Jurkat T lymphoma cells Molecular and cellular pharmacology 772 (2016) 92–98 (IF=2.53)
2. Rajalaxmi Behera, M.D. Kothekar, D.S. Kale, K. Krishnamurthi, A.R. Sirothia, D.R. Kalorey and M.S. Patil. Study of mutations in aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) gene in cattle from fly ash zone in Maharashtra, India. Indian Journal of Animal Research 50 (1); 19-22, 2016
3. Ajam Y. Shekh, Preeti Shrivastava, Ankit Gupta, K. Krishnamurthi, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, S.N.Mudliar. Biomass and lipid enhancement in Chlorella sp. with emphasis on biodiesel quality assessment through detailed FAME signature Bioresource Technology 201, 276-286; 2016 (IF= 4.95)
4. Ajam Shekh, Preeti Shrivastav, K. Krishnamurthi, S.N.Mudliar, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, G.S.Kanade, T.Chakrabarti. Stress Enhances Poly-Unsaturation Rich Lipid Accumulation in Chlorella sp. and Chlamydomonas sp. Journal Biomass and Bioenergy DOI: 10.1016/j.biombioe.2015.11.013; 2015 (IF= 3.411)
5. Deepa Gandhi, Prashant Tarale, Pravin K. Naoghare, Amit Bafana, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Patrizio Arrigo, Sivanesan Saravanadevi. An integrated genomic and proteomic approach to identify signatures of endosulfan exposure in hepatocellular carcinoma cells In press Pesticide Physiology and Biochemistry, 2015 (IF.2.014)
6. Sreemanta Pramanik, Subin T. Surendran, Sathishkumar Arumugam, Sivanesan Saravana Devi, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Tapan Chakrabarti. Polymorphisms in DNA repair and multidrug resistance genes among Sindhis of central India In Press Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2015 (IF.2.084)
7. Chhangani, J.A, Tiwari, S.G, Rai, M.M, A.Bafana, Krishnamurthi, K. Development of cow urine based polyherbal hair conditioner and evaluation of antidandruff activity IJIET 2015.
8. Tiwari, S.G, Chhangani, J.A, Padole S. K., A. Bafana, Krishnamurthi, K. Development, standardization and evaluation of antimicrobial activity of herbal tooth powder fortified with Cow Ghee. IJIET 2015.
9. Pravin K Naoghare, Ajam Shekh, Amit Bafana, Priyanka Mulay, Sivanesan Saravana Devi, Kannan Krishnamurthi. Personal and social issues involved in cancer development. Indian Journal of Community Health 17 (1); 2015
10. Atul Daiwile, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, Alberto Izzotti, Amit Bafana, Pravin K. Naoghare, Patrizio Arrigo, Hemant J. Purohit, Devendra Parmar and Krishnamurthi Kannan. Non coding RNAs: Possible players in the development of fluorosis In Special Issue "Genetic and Epigenetic Effects of Environmental Mutagens and Carcinogens" BioMed Research International 2015. (IF=2.76)
11. Atul P. Daiwile, Pravin K. Naoghare, Manisha Fluke, P. D. Prasada Rao, Tarun K. Ghosh, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Chibuisi G. Alimba, Saravanadevi Sivanesan. Correlation of melanophore index with a battery of functional genomic stress indicators for measurement of environmental stress in aquatic ecosystem” In Press Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 2015. (IF= 2 .05) doi:10.1016/j.etap.2014.12.006
12. Sarat Chandra T, G. Suvidha, S. Vidyashankar, S. Mukherji, V. S. Chauhan, K. Krishnamurthi, R. Sarada, S. N. Mudliar. Defatted algal biomass as a non- conventional low- cost adsorbent: Surface characterization and methylene blue adsorption characteristics. Bioresource Technology, Bioresource Technology 184, 395–404; 2015 (IF=4.95)
13. Abhay Fulke, Krishnamurthi Kannan, Manisha D.Giripunje, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, Tapan Chakrabarti. Biosequestration of carbon dioxide, biomass, calorific value and biodiesel precursors production using a novel flask culture Photobioreactor Biomass and Bioenergy, 72, 136-142; 2015 (IF= 3.411) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ j.biombioe.2014.11.008
14. SK Yadav, AA Juwarkar, AB Balki, AR Shende, SS Devi, K Krishnamurthi, Amit Bafana, Rajendra Prasad, Tapan Chakrabarti. Microorganism assisted phytoremediation of heavy metal and endosulfan contaminated soil. Reviews on Environmental Health 29 (1-2), 41-42; 2014
15. Muhil Vannan Seralathan, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, Srinivasan Nargunanathan, Amit Bafana, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Tapan Chakrabarti. . Chemotaxis based endosulfan biotransformation: enrichment and isolation of endosulfan degrading bacteria. Environmental Technology, 2014 (IF=1.65)
16. Muhil Vannan Seralathan, Saravana Devi Sivanesan, Amit Bafana, Sanjay Madanchand Kashyap, Arrigo Patrizio, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Tapan Chakrabarti Cytochrome P450 BM3 of Bacillus megaterium - A possible endosulfan biotransforming gene. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2014 (IF=1.922)
17. Sarat Chandra T, G. Suvidha, S. Vidyashankar, S. Mukherji, V. S. Chauhan, K. Krishnamurthi, R. Sarada, S. N. Mudliar. Statistical optimization of thermal pretreatment conditions for enhanced biomethane production from defatted algal biomass. Bioresource Technology, 2014 (IF=4.95)
18. Raju Yadav, Krishnamurthi Kannan, Ajam Y. Shekh, Sandeep N. Mudliar, Saravana S.Devi, Tapan Chakrabarti Activity enhancement of carbonic anhydrase in Chlamydomonas sp. for effective CO2 sequestration, Clean Technology Environmental Policy DOI 10.1007/s10098-014-0734-7, 2014 (IF= 1.76)
19. Raju R. Yadav, K. Krishnamurthi, Sandeep N. Mudliar, S.Sarvana Devi, Pravin K. Naoghare, A.Bafana, T.Chakrabarti. Carbonic Anhydrase Mediated Carbon Dioxide Sequestration: Promises, Challenges and Future Prospects Journal of Basic Microbiology, 2014 (IF=1.822)
20. Ayotunde T Etchie, Tunde O Etchie, Gregory O Adewuyi, Kannan Krishnamurthi, Satish R Wate, Saravana S Devi, Angela U Chukwu. Influence of seasonal variation on water quality in tropical water distribution system: is the disease burden significant? Water Res. 49:186-196, 2014 (IF=4.4)
1. “Biomarkers 2008” International conference of biomarkers organized during January 10- 12, 2008 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur
2. MOLTOX 2009 International conference on molecular toxicology organized during September 23- 24, 2009 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur
3. Antioxidants 2010 International conference on Antioxidants organized during January 23- 24, 2010 at Dr.Ambedkar University jointly with CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur 4. Brainstorm 2011 National brainstorm event organized on September 30, 2011 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur
5. EMSI KIIT University, Bhubaneshwar International conference on molecular toxicology organized during September 23- 24, 2009 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur
6. EMSI VIT Vellore International conference on molecular toxicology organized during September 23- 24, 2009 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur
7. EMSI Manipur University International conference on molecular toxicology organized during September 23- 24, 2009 at CSIR-NEERI, Nehru Marg, Nagpur