Dr Ezi Abigail Akaji is a Senior lecturer/Consultant in Preventive and Public Health Dentistry at the College of Medicine, University of Nigeria and the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu-Nigeria. She joined the Institution in February 2006 after her undergraduate and postgraduate trainings at the College of Medicine, University of Lagos and the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos with the award of Bachelor of Dental Surgery and Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons respectively. Her main area interests are prevention of oral diseases in communities, utilization of dental services and health behavioural studies in humans. Within this short period of service in the University of Nigeria, she has contributed to the propagation of oral health care and services in Nigeria and abroad via teaching, research and publications, presentation and reading of papers in conferences (local and international), and execution of community oral health awareness programmes with some giving birth to oral health centres (for primary oral health care delivery) in those communities
1. Oral health care
2. Dental Surgery
1. Eke CB, Akaji EA, Ukoha OU, Muoneke VU, Onwasigwe CN, Ikemefuna AN. Paediatricians’ perception about oral healthcare of children in Nigeria. BMC Oral health 2015; 15:164 (Published online DOI 10.1186/s12903-015-0151-2)
2. Akaji EA, Folaranmi N, Ashiwaju M.O. Halitosis: A Review of literature on Prevalence, Impact and Control. Oral Health and Preventive Dentistry. 2014; 12 (4): 297 - 304
3. Adebola RA, Akaji EA, Bamgbose BO, Adeoye JB. Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer amongst Dental Therapists in Nigeria: a pilot study. Nigerian Dental Journal, 2014; 22(2): 60-66
4. Akaji EA, Ashiwaju M.O. Oral health status of a sample of Prisoners in Enugu: A disadvantaged population. Annals of Medical and Health Sciences Research. 2014; 4: 650-3
5. Folaranmi N, Akaji E, Onyejaka N. Pattern of presentation of oral health conditions by children at University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu: A retrospective study. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice, 2014; 17(1): 47-50
6. Akaji EA, Folaranmi N. Tobacco use and oral health of Inmates in a Nigerian Prison. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice. 2013; 16 (4): 473-477
7. Akaji EA, Chukwuneke FN, Okeke UF. Attendance Pattern amongst Patients at the Dental Clinic of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Medicine 2012; 21 (1) : 74-77
8. Uguru NP, Akaji EA, Ndiokwelu E, Uguru CC. Assessing Health Workers knowledge on the Determinants of Health: A Study in Enugu Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Medicine 2012; 21(1) : 48 -52
9. Akaji EA, Folaranmi N, Okoye LO, Chukwuneke FN. Oral health problems and causes of tooth loss at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu-Nigeria. Ebonyi Medical Journal 2011; 10 (1): 27-32
10. Akaji EA, Jeboda SO, Oredugba FA: Comparison of Normative and Self-perceived dental needs among adolescents in Lagos-Nigeria. Nigerian Postgraduate Medical Journal Dec 2010; 17 (4): 283 -286
11. Chukwuneke FN, Akaji EA, Okoye LO, Ekwueme OC, Anyanechi CE. Occupational stress in Dental practice among Government and Private Dental Practitioners in Enugu Nigeria: A comparative survey. Tanzanian Dental Journal 2010; 16(1): 18-22.
12. Akaji EA, Uguru NP: Traditional Oral Health Practice in a Community in South-Eastern Nigeria. Journal of the College of Medicine. June 2010; 15 (1): 33-39
13. Okoye LO, Chukwuneke FN, Akaji EA, Folaranmi N: Caries Experience Among School Children in Enugu, Nigeria. Journal of the College of Medicine.2010; 15 (2): 17-23
14. Chukwuneke FN, Akaji EA, Onyeka TC and Udeagha P. Surgical excision of intra-oral dermoid cyst under local anaesthesia: a review of nine cases. Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery 2009; 9 (1): 19-21
15. Akaji EA. Felt Dental Needs and Demand for Dental Care. African Journal of Medical Sciences 2009; 2(2): 62-64
16. Ndiokwelu E, Akaji EA, Ahiarakwem J. Recurrent Angio- oedema involving the upper and lower lips- A Case Report. Journal of the College of Medicine 2009; 14 (2): 89-92
17. Chukwuneke FN, Okoye LO, Mgbeokwere U, Folaranmi N, Akaji EA, Ekwueme OC: A questionnaire survey on the level of occupational stress among dental practitioners in Eastern Nigeria, Journal of College of Medicine, Dec 2007; 12(2): 56-60.
18. Akaji EA, Oredugba FA, Jeboda SO: Utilization of dental services among secondary school students in Lagos-Nigeria. Nigerian Dental Journal, 2007; Vol 16 (1): 87-91.