Prabhu Ponnandy is a Research Associate at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA. He is working on Engineering Yeast cells for Bio-Ethanol production. He received his Doctoral degree in Biotechnology in the year 2012 from Konkuk University, Seoul, South Korea; where he was studying the Structure and Functional relationship of Rare Sugar producing Isomerase enzymes. He then did his Post-Doctoral research at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. He studied the role of Vif derived peptides on inhibiting APOBEC3G in Lymphoma cells. Currently, he is working on Metabolic Engineering of Yeast Saccharomyces for Bio-Ethanol Production.
Protein Structure and Function
Molecular Modeling and Docking
Biofuels; Bioethanol Production
Ponnandy Prabhu, Shivender Shandilya, Elena Britan-Rosich, Adi Nagler, Celia A. Schiffer and Moshe Kotler. (2015). Inhibition of APOBEC3G Activity Impedes Double-Strand DNA Repair. FEBS J doi: 10.1111/febs.13556.
Ponnandy Prabhu., Doan, T. N., Tiwari, M., Singh, R., Kim, S. C., Hong, M. K., Kang, Y. C., Kang, L. W. & Lee, J. K. (2014). Structure-based studies on the metal binding of two-metal-dependent sugar isomerases. FEBS J 281, 3446-59.
Nowarski, R., Ponnandy Prabhu., Kenig, E., Smith, Y., Britan-Rosich, E. & Kotler, M. (2014). APOBEC3G inhibits HIV-1 RNA elongation by inactivating the viral trans-activation response element. J Mol Biol 426, 2840-53.
Ponnandy Prabhu; Thanh Thi Ngoc Doan; Marimuthu Jeya; Lin-Woo Kang; Jung-Kul Lee. Cloning and characterization of a rhamnose isomerase from Bacillus halodurans. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 2011; 89(3):635-44.
Ponnandy Prabhu; Marimuthu Jeya; Jung-Kul Lee. In silico studies on the substrate specificity of an l-arabinose isomerase from Bacillus licheniformis. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2010; 20(15):4436-9.
Ye-Wang Zhang; Ponnandy Prabhu; Jung-Kul Lee. Alginate immobilization of recombinant Escherichia coli whole cells harboring L-arabinose isomerase for L-ribulose production. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering 2010; 33(6):741-8.
Thi-Ngoc-Thanh Doan; Ponnandy Prabhu; Jin-Kwang Kim; Yeh-Jin Ahn; Sampath Natarajan; Lin-Woo Kang; Geon Tae Park; Sang-Boem Lim; Jung-Kul Lee. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of L-rhamnose isomerase with a novel high thermostability from Bacillus halodurans. Acta crystallographica. Section F, Structural biology and crystallization communications 2010; 66(Pt 6):677-80.
Ponnandy Prabhu; Marimuthu Jeya; Jung-Kul Lee. Probing the molecular determinant for the catalytic efficiency of L-arabinose isomerase from Bacillus licheniformis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2010; 76(5):1653-60.
Jin-Ha Kim; Ponnandy Prabhu; Marimuthu Jeya; Manish Kumar Tiwari; Hee-Jung Moon; Raushan Kumar Singh; Jung-Kul Lee. Characterization of an L-arabinose isomerase from Bacillus subtilis. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 2010; 85(6):1839-47.
Ye-Wang Zhang; Ponnandy Prabhu; Jung-Kul Lee; In-Won Kim. Enhanced stability of Bacillus licheniformis L-arabinose isomerase by immobilization with alginate. Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology 2010; 40(1):65-75.
Ye-Wang Zhang; Ponnandy Prabhu; Jung-Kul Lee. Immobilization of Bacillus licheniformis L-arabinose isomerase for semi-continuous L-ribulose production. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 2009; 73(10):2234-9.
Ponnandy Prabhu; Manish Kumar Tiwari; Marimuthu Jeya; Paramasamy Gunasekaran; In-Won Kim; Jung-Kul Lee. Cloning and characterization of a novel L-arabinose isomerase from Bacillus licheniformis. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 2008; 81(2):283-90.
Hyung-Moo Jung; Sang-Yong Kim; Ponnandy Prabhu; Hee-Jung Moon; In-Won Kim; Jung-Kul Lee. Optimization of culture conditions and scale-up to plant scales for teicoplanin production by Actinoplanes teichomyceticus. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 2008; 80(1):21-7.
International Conference Proceedings/Poster Presentations
1. Ponnandy Prabhu, Elena Britan-Rosich and Moshe Kotler. Inhibition of APOBEC3G Activity Impedes Double-Strand DNA Repair. Institute for Medical Research, Israel-Canada, 3rd Scientific Conference, Dead Sea, February 1-3, 2015, Israel.
2. Roni Nowarski, Edan Kenig, Ponnandy Prabhu, and Moshe Kotler. Novel APOBEC3G properties allow it to be an efficient mutator of newly synthesized HIV-1 DNA. 39th annual meeting on Retroviruses, May 19 - 24, 2014, Cold Spring Harbor, NY
3. Ponnandy Prabhu and Jung Kul Lee “Probing the Molecular Determinant for Catalytic Efficiency of L-Arabinose isomerase from Bacillus licheniformis” at 2010 Annual Meeting & Exhibition Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology organized by Society for Industrial Microbiology 60th Annual Meeting, August 1-5, 2010, San Francisco, CA.
4. Thi-Ngoc-Than Doan, Geon Tae Park, Ponnandy Prabhu, Jung Kul Lee and Lin Woo Kan “ Structure of L-rhamnose isomerase with a novel high thermostability from Bacillus halodurans” at The Commemorative International Symposium for the 50th Anniversary of KSABC (The Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, August 25-27, 2010, Korea.
5. Ponnandy Prabhu, Raushan Kumar Singh, Jinglin Li and Jung Kul Lee “ Characterization of L-Rhamnose Isomerase from Bacillus halodurans” at International Meeting of the Federation of Korean Microbiological Socities (FKMS), October 22-23, 2009, Seoul, Korea.
6. Ponnandy Prabhu, Manish Kumar Tiwari and Jung Kul Lee “ Cloning and Characterization of a Novel L-arabinose isomerase from Bacillus licheniformis” at International Symposium and Anuual Meeting organized by The Korean Society Microbiology and Biotechnology (KMB), June 26-27, 2008, Seoul, Korea.