Dr. Barbara Rasco is a Professor, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Washington State University, Pullman, WA. 1998 – present. Awards and Honors Fellow, Institute of Food Technologists (2005);Elizabeth Fleming Stier Award , Institute of Food Technologists for humanitarian service (2004); Distinguished Lecturer, Institute of Food Technologists (2001 – 2005) on food law and food security.Professional activities includes Institute of Food Technologists, Professional Member, Executive Committee, Food Laws and Regulations Division, Institute of Food Technologists – Chair 1998-1999.
1) Research interests involves the development of analytical methods to predict the safety and quality of food products.
2) A current research area utilizes non-destructive spectrophotometric (short wavelength near infrared) measurements to develop chemometric models to predict the quality and safety of food products, primarily aquatic food products.
1) Lu X. and Rasco B.A. 2012. Determination of antioxidant content and antioxidant activity in foods using infrared spectroscopy and chemometrics: a review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, Accepted. (IF 2010: 4.510)2011
2) Lu X., Webb M.A.H., Talbott M.J., Van Eenennaam J.P., Doroshov S.I., Rasco, B.A. 2011. A study of morphological and biochemical parameters in farmed white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) by Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) Spectroscopy. Aquaculture, 315, 298-305. (2010 IF: 2.044)
3) Lu X., Ross C.F., Powers J.R., Aston, D.E., Rasco B.A. 2011. Determination of total phenolic content and antioxidant activity of garlic (Allium sativum) and elephant garlic (Allium ampeloprasum) by attenuated total reflectance – Fourier transformed infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59, 5215-5221. (2010 IF: 2.816)
4) Lu X., Wang J., Al-Qadiri H.M., Ross C.F., Powers J.R., Tang J., Rasco B.A. 2011. Determination of total phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of onion (Allium cepa) and onion shallot (Allium oschaninii) using infrared spectroscopy. Food Chemistry, 129, 637-644. (2010 IF: 3.458)
5) Lu X., Ross C.F., Powers J.R., Rasco B.A., 2011. Determination of quercetins in onion (Allium cepa) using infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 59, 6376-6382. (2010 IF: 2.816)
6) Bledsoe, G.E. and Rasco, BA. 2011. PATTA – Advantages of trade agreement to agricultural trade in Pakistan. J. Pakistan Food Technologists. In press.
7) Wang J., Yue T., Yuan Y., Lu X., Shin J.-H., Rasco B. 2011. Rapid discrimination of Alicyclobacillus strains using nitrocellulose membrane filter and attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Food Science, 76(2), M137-M142. (2010 IF: 1.733)
8) Al-Qadiri H.M., Lu X., Al-Alami N.I., Rasco B.A. 2011. Survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Campylobacter jejuni in bottled purified drinking water under different storage conditions. Journal of Food Protection, 74, 254-260. (2010 IF: 1.72)
9) Lu X., Liu Q., Wu D., Al-Qadiri H.M., Al-Alami N.I., Kang D.-H., Shin J.-H., Tang J., Jabal J.M.F., Aston E.D., Rasco B.A. 2011. Using of infrared spectroscopy to study the survival and injury of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Campylobacter jejuni and Pseudomonas aeruginosa under cold stress in low nutrient media. Food Microbiology, 28, 537-546. (2010 IF: 3.320)
10) Lu X., Rasco B.A., Jabal J.M.F., Aston D.E., Lin M., Konkel M.E., 2011. Investigating antibacterial mechanisms of garlic (Allium sativum) concentrate and garlic-derived organosulfur compounds on Campylobacter jejuni using FT-IR spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy and electron microscope. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 77, 5257-5269. (2010 IF: 3.778)
11) Lu X., Al-Qadiri H.M., Lin M., Rasco B.A. 2011. Application of mid-infrared and Raman spectroscopy to the study of bacteria. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 4, 919-935. (IF 2010: 3.576)
12) Lu X., Rasco B.A., Kang D.-H., Jabal J.M.F., Aston D.E., Konkel M.E., 2011. Infrared and Raman spectroscopic studies of the antimicrobial mechanisms of garlic concentrates and diallyl constituents on foodborne pathogens. Analytical Chemistry, 83, 4137-4146. (2010 IF: 5.874)
13) Ovissipour, M. and Rasco, B. 2011. Application of response surface methodology to optimize the hydrolysis of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) viscera using Protamex. Food Chemistry. In press.
14) Kong, F., Tang, J., and Rasco, B. 2011. Changes in the tenderness of chicken breast (P. major) and Salmon (O. gorbuscha) muscle during thermal processing: cook loss, area shrinkage, collagen solubility and microstructure. LWT. In press.
15) Lu X., Weakley A.T., Aston D.E., Rasco B.A., Wang S., Konkel M.E. Analysis of antibacterial mechanism of nanoparticles on microbial biofilms using vibrational spectroscopies. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Submitted. (2010 IF: 3.778)
16) Al-Holy, M., Shin, J.H., Osaili, T. and Rasco, B. 2011. A novel enrichment broth to improve detection and isolation of Cronobacter spp. from infant formula. J. Applied Microbiology. In press.
17) Lin, M., al-Holy, M., al-Qadiri, H., Chang, S-S., Kang, D-H., Rogers, B.D. and Rasco, B.A. 2011. Phylogenetic and spectroscopic analysis of Alicyclobacillus sp. isolates by 16S rDNA sequencing and Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy. Sensing and Instrumentation for Food Safety and Quality. In press.
18) Al-Qadiri, H.M., al-Holy, M.A., Lin, M., Alami, N.I. and Rasco, B.A. 2011. Rapid detection and identification of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli as pure and mixed culture in bottled drinking water using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR) and multivariate analysis. J. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. In press.
19) Al-Holy, M.A., Lin, M., al-Qadiri, M., Cavinato, A.G. and Rasco, B.A. 2011.Classification of foodborne pathogens by spectral (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR)) pattern recognition techniques. Rapid Microbiological Methods. In press.
20) Lai, K., Zhang, Y., Du, R., Zhai, F., Rasco, B.A. and Huang, Y. 2011. Chloramphenicol and crystal violet analysis by surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy: A comparison of commercial substrates. Food Chemistry. In press.
21) Mejía-Meza, E.,Yáñez, J.A., Davies, N.M., Rasco, B., Younce, F. and Clary, C. 2011. Maintaining the nutritional value of dried blueberries combining microwave-vacuum, hot-air and freeze-drying technologies. Drying Technology. In press.
22) Setiady, D., Clary, C., Younce, F. and Rasco, B.A. Optimizing drying conditions for Microwave-Vacuum (MIVAC®) drying of Russet potatoes (Solanum tuberosum). Microwave Technology. In press.
Awards and Honors
1)Fellow, Institute of Food Technologists (2005)
2) Elizabeth Fleming Stier Award , Institute of Food Technologists for humanitarian service (2004)
3) Distinguished Lecturer, Institute of Food Technologists (2001 – 2005) on food law and food security.