Dr. Rulong Shen has done his M.S. from Hood College, Frederick, MD and then received his M.D. Internal Medicine from Zhenjiang Medical College, China. He is involved in the assessment, diagnose and triage patients for all kinds of lesion and cancer. He has a long history of basic, clinical and translational cancer research with extensive experience in mouse models of animal carcinogenesis as well as biomarkers. Currently he is serving as an Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology, Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, United States.
1. To use my basic research and surgical pathology experience to make correct diagnoses for specific entities of the disease/tumor and normal tissue categories.
2. Transfer the new concept in basic research into the clinic disease setting and apply the new molecular and cytogenetic finding into daily diagnosis and treatment of human disease/tumor.
1. Shuting Zhao, Zhaobin Xu, Hai Wang1, Ben Reese, Mingjun Zhang, Rulong Shen, Zhenguo Liu2, Noah Weisleder, and Xiaoming He: Biomimetic engineering of pluripotent stem cells for injectable delivery and augmented therapy of myocardial infarction (reference number: NM16020354), recently submitted to Nature Materials.
2. Chengquan Zhao, Barbara A. Crothers, Mohiedean Ghofrani, Zaibo Li, Rhona J. Souers,; Mujtaba Hussain, Fang Fan, Idris Tolgay Ocal, Goodrich KM, Rulong Shen, Diane D. Davey, College of American Pathologists Cytopathology Committee.: Human Papillomavirus Genotyping Testing Practice in 2014: Results of a College of American Pathologists National Survey, submitted to Arch Pathol Lab Med., Feb. 2016
3. Wang, Yanqiang; Li, Wei; Phay, John; Shen, Rulong; Pellegata, Natalia; Saji, Motoyasu; Ringel, Matthew; de la Chapelle, Albert; He, Huiling: Primary cell culture systems for human thyroid studies. Submitted to Thyroid. Feb. 2016
4. Jin Sun, Rulong Shen, James Liu, Xueliang Pan, Donald Quimby, Nicola Zanesi, Teresa Druck, Louise Y. Fong, Kay Huebner: Reduction of induced skin tumor burden by zinc supplementation, Carcinogenesis submitted Jan-2016, co-first author, impactor factor: 5.334
5. Zaibo Li, Dena M. Tonkovich and Rulong Shen: Impact of touch imprint cytology on imaging-guided core needle biopsies: An experience from a large academic medical center laboratory. Diagn Cytopathol. 2015 Nov 23. doi: 10.1002/dc.23389. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Zaibo Li, Huiling He, Wei Li, Sandya Liyanarachchi, Albert de la Chapelle & Rulong Shen: Parasitic thyroid nodule with nodular hyperplasia supported by MicroRNA signature and Molecular mutation study. Submitted to BMC Cancer, March 2015
7. Pan Q, Yang GL, Yang JH, Lin SL, Liu N, Liu SS, Liu MY, Zhang LH, Huang YR, Shen Rulong, Liu Q, Gao JX, Bo JJ.: Metformin can block precancerous progression to invasive tumors of bladder through inhibiting STAT3-mediated signaling pathways. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Aug 7;34:77. impact factor: 4.43
8. He H, Li W, Liyanarachchi S, Srinivas M, Wang Y, Akagi K, Wang Y, Wu D, Wang Q, Jin V, Symer DE, Rulong Shen, Phay J, Nagy R, de la Chapelle A: Multiple functional variants in long-range enhancer elements contribute to the risk of SNP rs965513 in thyroid cancer Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 May 12;112(19):. impact factor: 9.809.
9. Jin C, Qin L, Shi Y, Candas D, Fan M, Lu CL, Vaughan AT, Rulong Shen, Wu LS, Liu R, Li RF, Murley JS, Woloschak G, Grdina DJ, Li JJ.: CDK4-mediated MnSOD activation and mitochondrial homeostasis in radioadaptive protection. Free Radic Biol Med. 2015 Apr;81:77-87. Impact Factor: 5.710
10. Shuting Zhao, Zhaobin Xu, Ben Reese, Wei Rao, Ying Liu, Jose Otero, Jianhua Yu, Rulong Shen, Mingjun Zhang, Zhenguo Liu, Noah Weisleder, and Xiaoming He: Micromatrix-encapsulation of cell aggregates for injectable delivery augments stem cell therapy of myocardial infarction submitted for Nature medicine, July 2014
11. Lu Y, Wu Y, Feng X, Shen R, Wang JH, Fallahi M, Li W, Yang C, Hankey W, Zhao W, Ganju RK, Li MO, Cleveland JL, Zou X: CDK4 deficiency promotes genomic instability and enhances Myc-driven lymphomagenesis. J Clin Invest. 2014 Apr 1;124 (4):1672-84. Impact Factor of 14.689.
12. Yan Gan , Qiang Liu , Wei Wu , Jun-Xiang Yin , Xue-Feng Bai , Rulong Shen, Yongjun Wang , Jieli Chen , Antonio La Cava , Jennifer Poursine-Laurent , Wayne Yokoyama , Fu-Dong Shi (corr-auth): Ischemic neurons recruit natural killer cells that accelerate brain infarction, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Feb 18;111(7):2704-9. impact factor is 9.737
13. Adhikari LJ, Rulong Shen: Florid diffuse peritoneal deciduosis mimicking carcinomatosis in a primigravida patient. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2013; 6(11): 2615-9.
14. Wang Z, Liu J-Q, Liu Z, Rulong Shen, Zhang G, Xu J, Basu J, Feng Y, Bai XF. Tumor-derived IL-35 promotes tumor growth by enhancing myeloid cell accumulation and angiogenesis. J Immunology. 2013 Mar 1:190(5):2415-23.
15. Rulong Shen, Liyanarachchi S, Li W, Wakely PE Jr, Saji M, Huang J, Nagy R, Farrell T, Ringel MD, Kloos RT, de la Chapelle A, He HL. A set of four miRNAs differentiates malignant from benign lesions in thyroid fine needle aspiration. Thyroid. 2012 Jan; 22 (1):9-16.
16. Yin DT, Wang Q, Chen L, Liu MY, Han C, Yan Q, Rulong Shen, He G, Duan W, Li JJ, Wani A, Gao JX. Stem cell gene PIWIL2 mediates DNA repair through relaxation of chromatin development of tumor stem cells. PLoS ONE 2011;6 (11):1-12. PMCID: PMC3217960
17. Feng X, Wu Z, Wu Y, Hankey W, Prior TW, Li L, Ganju RK, Rulong Shen, Zou X. Cdc25A regulates MMP1 through Foxo1 and mediates metastasis of breast cancer cells. Molecular and Cellular Biology 2011;31 (16):3457-3471.PMCID: PMC3147788
18. Zhihui Wang, Jin-Qing Liu, Zhenzhen Liu, Rulong Shen, Guoqiang Zhang, Jianping Xu, Sujit Basu, Youmei Feng and Xue-Feng Bai: Tumor-derived IL-35 promotes tumor growth via enhancing myeloid cell accumulation and angiogenesis, J of Immunology. 2013 Mar 1;190(5):2415-23. Impact factor: 5.788
19. Peng Z, Rulong Shen, Li YW, Teng KY, Shapiro CL, and Lin HJ: Epigenetic repression of RARRES1 is mediated by methylation of a proximal promoter and a loss of CTCF binding. PLoS One. 2012; 7(5):e36891. Epub 2012 May 17. Impact Factor is ~4.4
20. Z. Peng, Y. Li, W. Zhou, James R. Scott, Jennifer R. Chao, Rulong Shen, Michael W.Y. Chan, and Huey-Jen L. Lin: Dichotomy Effects of Akt Signal on Breast Neoplasm, Molecular Cancer 2012, 11:61. http://www.molecular-cancer.com/content/11/1/61, Impact Factor is 3.99
21. Rulong Shen, S. Liyanarachchi, W. Li, P.E. Wakely Jr., M. Saji, J. Huang, R. Nagy, T. Farrell, M.D. Ringel, R.T. Kloos, A. de la Chapelle, and HL He: A Set of Four miRNAs Differentiates Malignant from Benign Lesions in Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration Thyroid. 2012 Jan;22(1):9-16., Impact Factor is 4.792
22. De-Tao Yin, Qien Wang, Li Chen, Meng-Yao Liu, Chunhua Han, Qingtao Yan, Rulong Shen, Gang He, Wenrui Duan, Jian-Jian Li, Altaf Wani, Jian-Xin Gao Germline Stem Cell Gene PIWIL2 Mediates DNA Repair through Relaxation of Chromatin Development of Tumor Stem Cells; PLoS ONE: Research Article, published 16 Nov 2011 10.1371. impact factor: 4.411
23. Feng X, Wu Z, Wu Y, Hankey W, Ganju RK, Rulong Shen, Zou X. Cdc25A regulates MMP1 through Foxo1 and mediates metastasis of breast cancer cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2011 Aug;31(16):3457-71. Epub 2011 Jun 13. Impact Factor of 6.188.
24. de Vries CE, Rulong Shen, Stephens J, Suarez AA. Equivocal and weakly positive hybrid capture 2 tests in women aged 50 and older. Diagn Cytopathol. 2012 Aug; 40(8):708-12.
25. Xu RX, Xu JS, Zuo T, Rulong Shen, Huang TH, Tweedle MF. Drug-loaded biodegradable microspheres for image-guided combinatory epigenetic therapy in cells. J Biomed Opt 2011; 16 (2):020507. (IP 2.87)
26. Zuo T, Liu TM, Lan X, Weng YI, Rulong Shen, Gu F, Huang YW, Liyanarachchi S, Deatherage DE, Hsu PY, Taslim C, Ramaswamy B, Shapiro CL, Lin HJ, Cheng AS, Jin VX, Huang TH. Epigenetic silencing mediated through activated PI3K/AKT signaling in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2011;71(5):1752-1762. Epub 2011 Jan 7. (IP~8)
27. Ye Y, Yin DT, Chen L, Zhou Q, Rulong Shen, He G, Yan Q, Tong Z, Issekutz AC, Shapiro CL, Barsky SH, Lin H, Li JJ, Gao JX. Identification of Piwil2-like (PL2L) proteins that promote tumorigenesis. PLoS One. 2010 Oct 20; 5(10):e13406.