Dr. Bi-Tzen Juang pursued her M.Sc. from Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, Taipei Medical University, Taiwan and then received her Ph.D. from Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK. She then started her post-doctoral research with Dr. Noelle L’Etoile in Neuroscience at University of California, San Francisco to study neuronal plasticity in Caenorhadbditis elegans’ olfaction. She worked as an Associate Specialist in the Department of Cell and Tissue Biology, University of California, San Francisco, USA. Currently she is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Science and Technology, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan.
Using C. elegans as a platform to understand how the regulation of gene expression in neurons directs complex cognitive behaviors.
1. Juang, B.-T., Ludwig, A., Benedetti, K.L., Gu, C., Collins, K., Morales, C., Asundi, A., Wittman,T., L’Etoile, N.D., Hagerman, P.J. (2014) Expression of an expanded CGG-repeat RNA in a single pair of primary sensory neurons impairs olfactory adaptation in Caenorhadbditis elegans. Human Molecular Genetics 23, 4945-4959.
2. Juang, B.-T., Gu, C., Starnes, L., Palladino, F., Goga, A., Kennedy, S., L'Etoile, N.D. (2013) Endogenous nuclear RNAi mediates behavioral adaptation to odor. Cell 154, 1010-1022. (The video abstract is on www.cell.com)
3. Krzyzanowski, M.C., Brueggemann, C., Ezak, M.J., Wood, J.F., Michaels, K.L., Jackson, C.A., Juang, B.-T., Collins, K.D., Yu, M.C., L'Etoile, N.D, Ferkey, D.M. (2013) The C. elegans cGMP-dependent protein kinase EGL-4 regulates nociceptive behavioral sensitivity. PLoS Genet. 9, e1003619.
4. Lee, J. I., O’Halloran, D., Eastham-Anderson J., Juang, B.-T., Kaye, J. A., Scott Hamilton, O., Lesch, B., Goga, A., L’Etoile, N. D. (2010) Nuclear entry of a cGMP-dependent kinase converts transient into long-lasting olfactory adaptation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107, 6016-6021.
5. Juang, B.-T., Izeta, A., O’Hare, P., and Luisi, B. F. (2005) Purification and characterization of the Caenorhadbditis elegans HCF protein and domains of human HCF. Biochemistry 44, 10396-10405.
6. Lee, J.-W., Chen, C.-L., Juang, B.-T., Chen, J.-Y., Yang, C.-S., Doong, S.-L. (2000) Elevated expression of thyroid hormone receptor alpha 2 (c-erb A- alpha 2) in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer 83, 1674-1680.