Dr. Won Song, a professor of human nutrition in the Department of Food Science at Michigan State University (MSU), has been an active researcher and teacher since she joined the MSU faculty as an assistant professor in 1984. She has received numerous recognitions for her research and teaching accomplishments, served on many national and international committees for professional organizations and industry, and advised and mentored numerous graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and international visiting scholars extending her research expertise. She has published over 10 books and book chapters and over 80 peer-reviewed articles, and delivered over 200 presentations to the professionals.
1) Nutritional epidemiology
2) Community nutrition
3) Food consumption behaviors in relation to chronic diseases
4) Dietary patterns and health risks at the national and international settings
5) Biomarkers and predictors for nutritional status in large populations with emphasis on the subgroups at risk
6) National nutrition surveys and its application in research
7) Nutrition education – theories and application of technology.
1) Chun OK, Floegel A, Chung SJ, Chung CE, Song WO, Koo SI. Estimation of antioxidant intakes from diet and supplements in US adults. J of Nutr. 140 (2): 317-324, 2010. PMID:20032488
2) Kim HG, Song HS, Yoon DH, Song BW, Park SM, Sung GH, Cho JY, Park HI, Choi S, Song WO, Hwang KC, Kim TW. Cordyceps pruinosa extracts induce apoptosis of HeLa cells by a caspase dependent pathway. J of Ethnopharmacology, 128 (2):342-351, 2010.
3) Floegel A, Kim DO, Chung SJ, Song WO, Fernandez ML, Bruno RS, Koo SI, Chun OK. Development and validation of an algorithm to establish a total antioxidant capacity database of U.S. diet. Int J Food Sci Nutr. Sep;61(6):600-23, 2010. PMID:20377495 4) Chun OK, Chung CE, Wang Y, Padgitt A, and Song WO. Changes in intakes of total and added sugar and their contribution to energy intake in the U.S. Nutrients. 2: 834-54, 2010. PMID: 22254059 5) Park MK, Kim DW, Kim JS, Park SH, Joung HJ, Song WO, Paik HY. Development of a dish-based, semi-quantitative FFQ for the Korean diet and cancer research using a database approach. British J Nutr. Apr, 105(7), 1065-1072, 2011
6) Yang M, Koo SI, Song WO, Chun OK. Food matrix affecting anthocyanin bioavailability: Review. Current Medicinal Chemistry. Curr Med Chem.18(2):291-300, 2011. PMID:21110799
7) Wang Y, Chung SJ, Song WO, Chun OK. Estimation of daily proanthocyanidin intake and major food sources in the U. S. diet. J Nutr. 2011 Mar, 141(3): 447-52, 2011. PMID:21270369
8) Yang M, Chung SJ, Chung CE, Kim DO, Song WO, Koo SI, Chun OK. Estimation of total antioxidant capacity from diet and supplements in US adults. Br J Nutr. Feb 15:1-11. 2011. PMID:21320369
9) Floegel A, Chung SJ, von Ruesten AV, Yang M, Chung CE, Song WO, Koo SI, Pischon T and Chun OK. Antioxidant intakes from diet and supplements and elevated serum C-reactive protein and plasma homocystein concentrations in U.S. adults: a cross-sectional study. Public Health Nutrition. Nov; 12(11); 2055-64, 2011. PMID: 21414247 10) Kim DW, Shim JE, Paik HY, Song WO, Joung HJ. Nutritional intake of Korean population before and after adjusting for within-individual variations: 2101 Korean National Health and Nutrition Survey Data. Nutrition Research and Practice 5(3):266-274, 2011
11) Choi S, Lim MH, Kim KM, Jeon BH, Song WO, Kim TW. Cordycepin-induced apoptosis and autophagy in breast cancer cells are independent of the estrogen receptor. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 257:165-173, 2011
12) Jung HJ, Song WO, Paik HY, Joung HJ. Dietary characteristics of macronutrient intake and the status of metabolic syndrome among Koreans. Korean J of Nutr 44(2):119-130, 2011
13) Min CY, Noh H, Kang YS, Sim HJ, Baik HW, Song WO, Yoon J, Park YH, Joung H. Skipping breakfast is associated with diet quality and metabolic syndrome risk factors. Nutr Res Pract 5(5):455-463, 2011
14) Park MK, Noh HY, Song NY, Paik HY, Park SH, Joung JY, Song WO, Kim JS. Validity and reliability of a dish-based, semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire for Korean diet and cancer research. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 13(2); 545-52, 2012
15) Min CY, Noh HY, Kang YS, Sim HJ, Baik HW, Song WO, Yoon JH, Park YH, Joung HJ. Breakfast patterns are associated with metabolic syndrome in Korean Adults. Nutr Res Pract 6(1): 61-67, 2012