I was born in China and received my undergraduate education in the Department of Chemistry at East China Normal University in Shanghai, China between 1985 and 1988. I moved to the US and obtained my Ph.D. in organic synthesis under the guidance of Dr. Philip L. Fuchs in the Department of Chemistry at Purdue University In 1995. Then I worked as an NIH postdoctoral fellow in Dr. KC Nicolaous group at the Scripps Research Institute. Since July 1997 I have been a faculty member in the Division of Medicinal & Natural Products Chemistry, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Experimental Therapeutics, College of Pharmacy at the University of Iowa.
My research interests are in the areas of total synthesis of biologically active natural products and structural analogues, the discovery and development of new synthetic methods, and design and synthesis of anticancer agents with novel mechanisms of action.
1. Regiospecific Silver [I] Promoted, Palladium -Catalyzed Intramolecular Addition of Aryl Iodides to Vinyl Sulfones, Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1993, 34, 5205.
2. A Highly Efficient Synthesis of β-Substituted 6 and 7-Membered Ring Enones via Carbon Alkylation of γ-Methoxy Allylsulfonyl Anions, Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1994, 116, 5995.
3. New Synthetic Methods Exploiting Vinyl Sulfones Discovered During the Synthesis of a Natural Product, Jin, Z.; Vandort, P. C.; Fuchs, P. L. Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Silicon 1994, 95, 1.
4. Addition of γ-Methoxy Allylsulfonyl Anions to Cyclopentenyl Phenyl Sulfones. A Facile Synthesis of β-Cyclopentenyl-Substituted Dienones and Trienones, Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117, 3022.
5. Conversion of Vinylsulfones to Regiospecifically Functionalized Trisubstituted Olefins, Kim, S. H.; Jin, Z.; Ma, S.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1995, 36, 4013.
6. Synthesis of β-Substituted Cyclopentenones via Carbon Alkylation of Metalated γ-Methoxycyclopentenyl Phenylsulfonyl Anion, Kim, S. H.; Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1995, 36, 4537.
7. Phosphazene Base P2-Et Mediated Isomerization of Vinyl Sulfones to Allyl Sulfones, Jin, Z.; Kim, S. H.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1996, 37, 5247.
8. Use of Phosphazene Base and Phase-Transfer Conditions for Regiospecific Alkylative Isomerization of Vinyl Sulfones Capable of Undergoing β-Elimination Reactions, Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1996, 37, 5249.
9. Palladium-Mediated Aminospirocyclization of Tertiary Allylic Sulfones: Stereospecific Construction of the Azabicyclic Ring System of Cephalotaxine, Jin, Z.; Fuchs, P. L. Tetrahedron Lett. 1996, 37, 5253.
10. New Synthetic Technology for the Stereocontrolled Construction of 1,1'-Disaccharides and 1,1':1",2'-Trisaccharides, Synthesis of the FG Ring System of Everninomicin 13,384-1, Nicolaou, K. C.; van Delft, F. L.; Conley, S. R.; Mitchell, H. J.; Jin, Z.; Rodriguez, R. M. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1997, 119, 9057.
11. Total Synthesis of Everninomicin 13,384-1 - Part 4: Explorations of Methodology; Stereocontrolled Synthesis of 1,1'-Disaccharides, 1,2-Seleno Migrations in Carbohydrates, and Solution- and Solid-phase Synthesis of 2-Deoxy Glycosides and Orthoesters, Nicolaou, K. C.; Fylaktakidou, K. C.; Mitchell, H. J.; van Delft, F. L.; Rodriguez, R. M.; Conley, S. R.; Jin, Z. Chem. Eur. J. 2000, 6, 3166.
12. A Highly Selective Synthesis of (Z)-α,β-Unsaturated Ketones, Yu; W.; Su; M.; Jin, Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 1999, 40, 6725.
13. A Facile Chemoselective Deprotection of p-Methoxybenzyl Group, Yu, W.; Su, M.; Gao, X.; Yang, Z.; Jin, Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 2000, 41, 4015.
14. A Facile Stereospecific Synthesis of α-Halo Vinyl Ethers and Their Applications in Organic Synthesis, Yu, W.; Jin, Z. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2000, 122, 9840.
15. A Facile Generation of Enolates from Silyl Enol Ethers by Potassium Ethoxide, Yu, W.; Jin, Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 2001, 42, 369.
16. A New Strategy for the Stereoselective Introduction of Steroid Side Chain via α-Alkoxy Vinyl Cuprates: Total Synthesis of a Highly Potent Antitumor Natural Product OSW-1, Yu, W.; Jin, Z. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2001, 123, 3369.
17. Synthetic Studies of Antitumor Marine Natural Products Superstolides A and B. Construction of C20-C26 Fragment of Superstolide A, Yu, W.; Zhang, Y.; Jin. Z. Org. Lett. 2001, 3, 1447.
18. A Highly Stereoselective Synthesis of α-Halo Vinyl Sulfides and Their Applications in Organic Synthesis, Su, M.; Yu, W.; Jin, Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 2001, 42, 3771.
19. Negishi Coupling between α-Alkyl(aryl)thio Vinyl Zinc Chloride and α-Bromo Vinyl Ether: a Convergent Synthesis of 2-Alkoxy-3-alkyl(aryl)thiobuta-1,3-dienes, Su, M.; Kang, Y; Yu, W.; Hua, Z. Jin, Z. Org. Lett. 2002, 4, 691.
20. Total Synthesis of An Antitumor Natural Product OSW-1, Yu, W.; Jin, Z. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 6576.
21. Total Syntheses of the Highly Potent anti-HIV Natural Product Daurichromenic Acid and its Two Novel Chromene Derivatives, Rhododaurichromanic Acids A and B, Kang, Y.; Mei, Y.; Du, Y.; Jin, Z. Org. Lett. 2003, 5, 4481.
22. An Improved Procedure for the Oxidative Cleavage of Olefins by OsO4-NaIO4, Hua, Z.; Yu, W.; Jin, Z. Org. Lett. 2004, 6, 3217.
23. Heck Reaction with an Acyl Synthon: New Coupling Reaction between α-Halo Vinyl Ether and Alkene, Gao, X.; Yu, W.; Mei, Yan, Jin, Z. Tetrahedron Lett. 2004, 45, 8169.
24. Synthetic Studies toward the Construction of the cis-Decalin Portion of Superstolides A and B. Application of a Sequential Double Michael Reaction and an Anionic Oxy-Cope Rearrangement, Hua, Z; Yu, W.; Su, M.; Jin, Z. Org. Lett. 2005, 7, 1939.
25. OSW-1: A Natural Compound with Potent Anticancer Activity and Novel Mechanism of Action, Zhou, Y.; Garcia-Prieto, C.; Carney, D.; Xu, R.; Pelicano, H.; Kang, Y.; Yu, W. Lou, C.; Kondo, S.; Liu, J.; Harris, D.; Estrov, Z.; Keating, M. J.; Jin, Z.; Huang, P. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 97:1781-1785, 2005.