Biplab Giri is working as an Associate Professor of Physiology in the University of Gour Banga, India since 2016. He taught Physiology as Assistant Professor previously in the Department of Physiology, West Bengal State University, India. He teaches Physiology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Cancer Biology and Stem Cell Biology at the Post Graduate Department in the University. Dr. Giri has substantial contribution to his field of expertise both as a teacher as well as a researcher. He obtained his Masters in Physiology from the University of Calcutta and was awarded D.N. Mallik award (Gold Medal) and University Gold Medal for securing first rank with first class in Physiology. He received his Ph.D. degree in the area of Cancer Biology from the University of Calcutta, India and pursued post-doctoral research work in USA, sponsored by NIH/NHLBI, USA. He pursued his first postdoctoral research on Cancer biology at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX and University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD and second postdoctoral work in Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine at University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA. He received ‘SEBM Young Scientist Mentee award, USA’ in 2007, awarded by the Society for Experimental Biology & Medicine, USA for his academic excellence and research credential. The research team, he worked with at University of North Carolina, received first prize from the American Heart Association for their research paper on “Wnt1 Mediated Dynamic Injury Response Activates the Epicardium and is Critical for Cardiac Repair” in Louis N. and Arnold M. Katz Basic Science Research Prize session of AHA Conference, USA (Circulation 2010;122:A541). His areas of research interest include Cancer Biology and Cancer Stem Cell targeting, Molecular Pharmacology and Drug development against Cancer-Diabetes condition and other metabolic disorders, Melatonin research in health and diseases, Stem Cell and Tissue Regeneration. He has been handling a number of research projects and grants supported by Government of India and State Government. He has about 15 years of research and 10+ years of teaching experiences. He has published a number of research papers in reputed peer reviewed National and International Journals and contributed invited book chapter to an edited volume published from Springer-Nature, Netherland. He is also a reviewer in Nature Group, Taylor & Francis, Springer, Elsevier, Wiley, Pubmed Central, iMedPub etc. Journals/Book, Editor of ‘Journal of Stem Cell & Regenerative Biology’ 2016 (Ommega, USA) and Asssociate Editor of ‘Journal of Medical Oncology and Therapeutics’ 2016 (Allied Academies, NC, USA). He has some prestigious professional memberships in different National and International Scientific Societies.
1. Biplab Giri*, Tanaya Das, Sananda Dey, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Jhimli Banerjee, Sandeep Kumar Dash. Chronic
hyperglycemia mediated physiological alteration and metabolic distortion leads to organ dysfunction, infection,
cancer progression and other pathophysiological consequences: An update on glucose toxicity.
Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 107:306-328 (Elsevier, USA)
2. Biplab Giri*, Sananda Dey, Antony Gomes*. Indian toad (Bufo melanostictus, Schneider) skin extract induces
apoptosis and shows cytotoxic effect on Ehrlich ascites carcinoma (EAC) cells. Journal of Drug Delivery and
Therapeutics 2018; 8(5): 303-3012.
3. Sangita Dutta, Kazi Monjur Ali, Sandeep Kumar Dash, Biplab Giri*. Role of Nutraceuticals on Health
Promotion and Disease Prevention: A Review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2018; 8(4): 42-47.
4. Soma Halder, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Sananda Dey, Sujay K Bhunia, Alok R Koley, Biplab Giri*. Protective effects
of red grape (Vitis vinifera) juice through restoration of antioxidant defense, endocrine swing and Hsf1, Hsp72
levels in heat stress induced testicular dysregulation of Wister rat. Journal of Thermal Biology 2018; 71: 32-40
5. Mrinmoy Sarkar, Sananda Dey, Biplab Giri*. Antiproliferative and apoptogenic efficacy of antidiabetic drugs
metformin and sitagliptin against MCF7 and HepG2 cancer cells: a comparative molecular study. Journal of
Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2017; 7(6):11-21.
6. Biplab Giri*, Sananda Dey. Is it possible to avert arsenic effects on cells and tissues bypassing its toxicity and
suppressive consequences of energy production? – A hypothesis. Blde Univ J Health Sci. 2017; 2(2): 91-96.
7. Shilpi Ghosh, Swagata Mukhopadhyay, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Amitava Mandal, Vaskar Das, Anoop Kumar, Biplab
Giri*. Biological evaluation of a halogenated triterpenoid, 2?-bromo-dihydrobelulonic acid as inhibitor of
human topoisomerase II? and HeLa cell proliferation. Chem Biol Interact. 2017; 268: 68-76
(doi:10.1016/j.cbi.2017.02.015) [Elsevier, Germany; ISSN: ISSN: 0009-2797]
8. Mrinmoy Sarkar, Sananda Dey, Biplab Giri*. Double edge effect of DPP4 inhibitor sitagliptin, a type-2 anti-
diabetic drug, on inflammation, injury and cancer. Journal of Stem Cell & Regenerative Biology 2016; 2(2):
102-108 (doi:10.15436/2471-0598.16.017) [ISSN: 2471-0598]
9. Sananda Dey, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Biplab Giri*. Anti-inflammatory and Anti-tumor Activities of Parthenolide:
An Update. Journal of Chemical Biology & Therapeutics 2016; 2(1): 107/1-6 [doi:10.4172/jcbt.1000107]
10.Pathikrit Bandopadhyay, Soma Halder, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Sujay Kumar Bhunia, Sananda Dey, Antony Gomes,
Biplab Giri*. Molecular modeling of NK-CT1, from Indian monocellate cobra (Naja kaouthia) and its docking
interaction with human DNA topoisomerase II alpha. Bioinformation 2016; 12(3): 105-111 [ISSN 0973-2063
(online) 0973-8894 (print)]
11. Sananda Dey, Biplab Giri*. Fluoride fact on human health and health problems: A review. Medical & Clinical
Reviews 2016; 2(1):11/1-6 [iMedPub, USA; ISSN 2471-299X]- Invited Review article
12. Labanyamoy Kole, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Anwesha Deb, Biplab Giri*. Pioglitazone, an anti-diabetic drug requires
sustained MAPK activation for its anti-tumor activity in breast cancer, independent of PPAR-? pathway.
Pharmacological Reports 2016; 68(1): 144-154 [Elsevier, Poland; ISSN:1734-1140]
13. Sujay Kumar Bhunia, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Arpita Bhakta, Antony Gomes, Biplab Giri*. In vitro activity screening
of snake venom against multi drug resistant tuberculosis. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease 2015;
5(12): 1003-1006 [Elsevier; ISSN: 2222-1808]
14. Sujay Kumar Bhunia, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Asesh Banerjee, Biplab Giri*. An Update on Pathogenesis and
Management of Tuberculosis with Special Reference to Drug Resistance. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical
Disease 2015; 5(9): 673-686 [Elsevier; ISSN: 2222-1808]
15. Suparna Saha, Priyabrata Sarkar, Mrinmoy Sarkar, Biplab Giri. Electroconductive smart polyacrylamide–
polypyrrole (PAC–PPY) hydrogel: a device for controlled release of risperidone. RSC- Advances 2015; 5:
27665-27673 [Royal Society of Chemistry, England]
16. Soma Haldar, Sudeshna Bhattacharya, Biplab Giri, Shyamal Das Gupta, Niladri Shekhar Bhunia, Anindya
Sundar Bhunia, Sajal Ray, Mitali Ray, Rahul Bhattacharya, Pratiti Ghosh. Effect of Cold Stress on
Pyridostigmine Pretreated Rats Exposed to an Organophosphorous Compound. Journal of Life Sciences
Research 2014; 1(1): 10-15 [Asian Online Journal Publishing Group; ISSN: 2408-9184]
17. Sudeshna Bhattacharya, Soma Haldar, Sujata Roy, Biplab Giri, Shyamal Das Gupta, Rahul Bhattacharya,
Pratiti Ghosh. Pretreatment with Pyridostigmine Bromide Does not Induce Cellular Toxicity. Advances in Life
Sciences 2014; 4(5): 220-226 [USA; p-ISSN: 2163-1387; e-ISSN: 2163-1395]
18. Antony Gomes, Biplab Giri, Aftab Alam, Sanghamitra Mukherjee, Pushpak Bhattacharjee, Aparna Gomes.
Anticancer activity of a low immunogenic protein toxin (BMP1) from Indian toad (Bufo melanostictus,
Schneider) skin extract. Toxicon 2011; 58: 85-92 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
19. Labanyamoy Kole*, Biplab Giri*, SK Manna, Biswajit Pal, Sajalendu Ghosh. Biochanin A, an isoflavon,
showed anti-proliferative and anti-inflammatory activities through the inhibition of iNOS expression, p38-
MAPK and ATF-2 phosphorylation and blocking NF?B nuclear translocation. European Journal of
Pharmacology 2011;653(1-3) :8-15 [Elsevier; ISSN: 0014-2999] (*Joint first author)
20. Pushpak Bhattacharjee, Biplab Giri, Antony Gomes. Apoptogenic activity and toxicity studies of a
cytotoxic protein (BMP1) from the aqueous extract of the common Indian toad (Bufo melanostictus, Schneider)
skin. Toxicon 2011; 57: 225-236 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
21. Anindita Debnath, Archita Saha, Antony Gomes, Sumit Biswas, Pinakpani Chakrabarti, Biplab Giri, Ajoy K
Biswas, Shubho Das Gupta, Aparna Gomes. A lethal cardiotoxic-cytotoxic protein from the Indian monocellate
cobra (Naja kaouthia) venom. Toxicon 2010; 56: 569-579 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
22. Antony Gomes, Pushpak Bhattacharjee, Roshnara Mishra, Ajoy K Biswas, Subir C Dasgupta, Biplab Giri,
Anindita Debnath, Subho Dasgupta, Tanaya Das, Aparna Gomes. Anticancer potential of animal venoms and
toxins. Ind J Exp Biol 2010; 48: 93-103 [Review article]- (ISSN:0019-5189)
23. Subhash Haldar, Shubho Dasgupta, Aparna Gomes, Biplab Giri, Subir Chandra Das Gupta, Ajay K Biswas,
Roshnara Mishra, Antony Gomes. A high molecular weight protein Bengalin from the Indian black scorpion
(Heterometrus bengalensis C.L. Koch) venom having antiosteoporosis activity in female albino rats.
Toxicon 2010; 55(2-3): 455-61 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
24. Biplab Giri, Antony Gomes, Radha Sengupta, Sanjeev Banerjee, Jyoti Nautiyal , Fazlul H. Sarkar, Adhip P. N.
Majumdar. Curcumin Synergizes the Growth Inhibitory Properties of Indian Toad (Bufo melanostictus,
Schneider) Skin Derived Factor (BM-ANF1) in HCT-116 Colon Cancer Cells. Anticancer Research 2009;
29(1): 395-401 [ISSN: 0250-7005]
25. Antony Gomes, Subhash Haldar, Biplab Giri, Roshnara Mishra, Archita Saha, Shubho Das Gupta, Aparna
Gomes. Experimental osteoporosis induced in female albino rats and its antagonism by Indian black scorpion
(Heterometrus bengalensis C.L.Koch) venom. Toxicon 2009; 53(1): 60-68 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
26. Antony Gomes, Biplab Giri, Labanyamoy Kole, Archita Saha, Anindita Debnath, Aparna Gomes. A crystalline
compound (BM-ANF1) from the Indian toad (Bufo melanostictus, Schneider) skin extract, induced
anti-proliferation & apoptosis in leukemic & hepatoma cell line involving cell cycle proteins. Toxicon 2007;
50(6): 835-849 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
27. Antony Gomes, S Roy Choudhury, Archita Saha, R Mishra, Biplab Giri, AK Biswas, Anindita Debnath,
Aparna Gomes. A new protein toxin (drCT1) from Dabuia russellii venom having antiproliferative and
apoptogenic activity. Toxicon 2007; 49: 46-56 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
28. Antony Gomes, Biplab Giri, Archita Saha, R Mishra, Subir C Dasgupta, A Debnath, Aparna Gomes. Bioactive
molecules from amphibian skin: Their biological activities with reference to therapeutic potentials for possible
drug development. Ind J Exp Biol 2007; 45(7): 579-593 [Review article] (ISSN:0019-5189)
29. S Dasgupta, A Debnath, A Saha, B Giri, G Tripathi, A Gomes, JR Vedasiromoni, A Gomes. Indian black
scorpion (Heterometrus bengalensis, Koch) venom induced cytotoxic and apoptogenic activity against human
leukemic U937 and K562 cells. Leukemia Research 2007; 31: 817-825 [Elsevier, USA; ISSN: 0145-2126]
30. B Giri, A Gomes, A Debnath, A Saha, A K Biswas, S C Dasgupta A Gomes. Antiproliferative, cytotoxic and
apoptogenic activity of Indian toad (Bufo melanostictus, Schneider) skin extract in U937 & K562 cells.
Toxicon 2006; 48(4): 388-400 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
31. Archita Saha, Aparna Gomes, B Giri, A K Chakravarty, A K Biswas, S C Dasgupta and A. Gomes.
Occurrence of non-protein low molecular weight cardiotoxin in the Indian King cobra (Ophiophagus hannah)
venom. Ind J Exp Biol 2006; 44(4):279-285 (ISSN:0019-5189)
32. A Saha, A Gomes, A K Chakravarty, A K Biswas, B Giri, S C Dasgupta and A Gomes. CNS and
anticonvulsant activity of a non-protein toxin (KC-MMTx) isolated from King cobra (Ophiophagus hannah)
venom. Toxicon 2006; 47(3):296-303 [Elsevier, UK; ISSN: 0041-0101]
33. JinZhu Duan, Costin Gherghe, Dianxin Liu, Eric Hamlett, Luxman Srikanth, Biplab Giri, Jenna Regan,
Laurel Rodgers, Jackie Kylander, Mauricio Rojas, Andrew Leask, Mark Majesky, Arjun Deb. Wnt1 Mediated
Dynamic Injury Response Activates the Epicardium and is Critical for Cardiac Repair. Circulation 2010;122:
A541 (Online ISSN:1942-3268).
34. Biplab Giri, Labanyamoy Kole. Combating the Perilous Consequence of Clostridial Gas Gangrene: An
Overview. Toxinology 2014; Vol. 36: pp 1-21 [Springer, Netherland; Online ISBN: 978-94-007-6645-7],
Toxinology: Biological Toxins and Bioterrorism- Invited book chapter [ISBN-10: 9400758685; ISBN-13: 978-