(2016 – present) Professor, Department of Pathology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil.
(2014 – 2016) Posdoc, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA, Field of Study: Stem cell biology, Advisor: Paul S. Frenette, MD.
(2010 – 2014) Ph.D., Neuroscience Program, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA, Field of Study: Stem cell biology, Advisor: Osvaldo Delbono, Ph.D., MD.
(2009 – 2010) Research Scholar, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA, Field of Study: Muscle biology, Advisor: Osvaldo Delbono, Ph.D, MD.
(2005 - 2009) B.S., Biomedical Science, Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz, UESC, Ilheus, Brazil, Field of Study: Genetics of microorganisms, Advisors: Rachel Passos Rezende, Ph.D. and Joao Carlos Teixeira Dias, Ph.D.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2017. Won the prestigious Instituto Serrapilheira Grant 2017-Call 2017. Elected Affiliated Member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences 2015. Recipient of Gordon A. Melson Outstanding Doctoral Student Award for 2015 2014. Winner of 3-minute thesis (3MT) oral competition (2014 Fourteenth Annual Wake Forest University Graduate Student & Postdoc Research Day) 2014. Editor's choice in Journal of Gerontology Biological Sciences Volume 69 Issue 12 December 2014 for the manuscript “Human Slow Troponin T (TNNT1) Pre-mRNA Alternative Splicing is An Indicator of Skeletal Muscle Response to Resistance Exercise in Older Adults.” by Zhang T, Choi SJ, Wang ZM, Birbrair A, Messi ML, Jin J-P, Marsh AP, Nicklas B, and Delbono O. 2013. Awarded with the Glenn/AFAR Scholarship for Research in the Biology of Aging 2012. Wake Forest University Graduate and Postdoctoral Students Research Day (Troponin T nuclear localization and its role in skeletal muscle aging) (12th annual competition) (First place) (Co-author) 2008. “Metagenome of soil contaminated with petroleum.” Scholarship from : Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado da Bahia (FAPESB), Brazil. 2006. “Best poster (Genetic diversity between isolates of Chromobacterium violaceum) presented in the area of biological sciences during the XII Seminário de Iniciação Científica da Universidade Estadual de Santa Cruz – UESC, Ilhéus – Bahia.”
Pathology, Stem cell biology, Biomedical Science, Genetics of microorganisms
Paiva AE, Lousado L, Guerra DAP, Azevedo PO, Sena IFG, Andreotti JP, Santos GSP, Gonçalves R, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Pericytes in the Premetastatic Niche. Cancer Res. 78(11):2779-2786. PMID: 29789421.
(2) Azevedo PO, Paiva AE, Santos GSP, Lousado L, Andreotti JP, Sena IFG, Tagliati CA, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Cross-talk between lung cancer and bones results in neutrophils that promote tumor progression. Cancer Metastasis Rev. In press. PMID: 30203108.
(3) de Alvarenga EC, Silva WN, Vasconcellos R, Paredes-Gamero EJ, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Promyelocytic leukemia protein in mesenchymal stem cells is essential for leukemia progression. Ann Hematol. 97(10):1749-1755. PMID: 30069705.
(4) Guerra DAP, Paiva AE, Sena IFG, Azevedo PO, Silva WN, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Targeting glioblastoma-derived pericytes improves chemotherapeutic outcome. Angiogenesis. In press. PMID: 29761249.
(5) Silva WN, Leonel C, Prazeres PHDM, Sena IFG, Guerra DAP, Heller D, Diniz IMA, Fortuna V, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Role of Schwann cells in cutaneous wound healing. Wound Repair Regen. In press. PMID: 30098299.
(6) Sena IFG, Paiva AE, Prazeres PHDM, Azevedo PO, Lousado L, Bhutia SK, Salmina AB, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Glioblastoma-activated pericytes support tumor growth via immunosuppression. Cancer Med. 7(4):1232-1239. PMID: 29479841.
(7) Henriques F, Lopes M, Franco F, Knobl P, Santos K, Bueno L, Correa V, Bedard A, Guilherme A, Birbrair A, Peres S, Farmer S, Batista ML Jr. (2018) Toll-Like Receptor-4 Disruption Suppresses Adipose Tissue Remodeling and Increases Survival During Cancer Cachexia Syndrome. Scientific Reports. In press.
(8) Birbrair A. (2018) Pericyte Biology: Development, Homeostasis and Disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. In press.
(9) Santos GSP, Magno LAV, Romano-Silva MA, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Pericytes plasticity in the brain. Neuroscience Bulletin. In press.
(10) Prazeres PHDM, Turquetti AOM, Azevedo PO, Barreto RSN, Miglino MA, Mintz A, Delbono O, Birbrair A. (2018) Perivascular cell αv integrins as a target to treat skeletal muscle fibrosis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. In press. PMID: 29627438.
(11) Andreotti JP, Paiva AE, Prazeres PHDM, Guerra DAP, Silva WN, Vaz RS, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) The role of natural killer cells in the uterine microenvironment during pregnancy. Cell Mol Immunol. In press. PMID: 29572543.
(12) Andreotti JP, Prazeres PHDM, Magno LAV, Romano-Silva MA, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Neurogenesis in the postnatal cerebellum after injury. Int J Dev Neurosci. In press. PMID: 29555564.
(13) Silva WN, Prazeres PHDM, Paiva AE, Lousado L, Turquetti AOM, Barreto RSN, de Alvarenga EC, Miglino MA, Gonçalves R, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Macrophage-derived GPNMB accelerates skin healing. Exp Dermatol. In press. PMID: 29505115.
(14) Costa MA, Paiva AE, Andreotti JP, Cardoso MV, Cardoso CD, Mintz A, Birbrair A. (2018) Pericytes constrict blood vessels after myocardial ischemia. J Mol Cell Cardiol. In press. PMID: 29371134.
(15) Andreotti JP, Lousado L, Magno LAV, Birbrair A. (2017) Hypothalamic Neurons Take Center Stage in the Neural Stem Cell Niche. Cell Stem Cell. 21(3):293-294. PMID: 28886362.