Dr. Guo received his Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Connecticut. His expertise is in the area of drug discovery using biophysical techniques including nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and computer modeling. He has been studying the interactions of drug molecules with membranes and the mechanism by which these molecules are transported across the blood brain barrier. Currently, his research focuses on the endocannabinoid system with the emphasis on developing novel molecular probes and potential therapeutics for treating pain, substance abuse and other disorders
1. Fatty acid binding proteins (FABPs) as potential drug targets
2. Structural determinants of cannabinoid receptors interacting wtih G-proteins
3. Mechanism of drug transport across cell membranes
1) Jason Jianxin Guo, Mark K Williams and Alexandros Makriyannis (2013) Therapeutic Opportunities through the Modulation of Endocannabinoid Transport Pharmaceutical Regulatory Affairs 3:e123. doi:10.4172/2167-7689.1000e123.
2) Rishi Sharma, Carol A. Paronis, JodiAnne T. Wood, Aneetha Halikhedkar, Jason Jianxin Guo, Ganesh A. Thakur, Shashank Kulkarni, Othman Benchama, Jimit G. Raghav, Roger S. Gifford, Torbjörn U. C. Järbe, Jack Bergman, and Alexandros Makriyannis (2013) “Controlled-deactivation cannabinergic ligands J. Med. Chem. 56:10142-57.
3) Rishi Sharma, Spyros P. Nikas, Jason Jianxin Guo, Srikrishnan Mallipeddi, JodiAnne T. Wood, and Alexandros Makriyannis (2014) C-Ring Cannabinoid Lactones: A Novel Cannabinergic Chemotype ACS Med. Chem. Lett. in press. DOI: 10.1021/ml4005304.
4) Jianqin Zhuang, De-Ping Yang, Xiaoyu Tian, Spyros P. Nikas, Rishi Sharma, Jason Jianxin Guo*, and Alexandros Makriyannis* Targeting the Endocannabinoid System for Neuroprotection: A 19F-NMR Study of a Selective FAAH Inhibitor Binding with an Anandamide Carrier Protein, HSA J. Pharmaceutics Pharmacol. 1:1-5. *Co-corresponding authors.
5) Jianqin Zhuang, De-Ping Yang, Spyros P. Nikas, Jianhong Zhao, Jianxin Guo*, and Alexandros Makriyannis* The Interaction of Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase (FAAH) Inhibitors with an Anandamide Carrier Protein Using 19F-NMR, The AAPS J. 15: 477-482, 2013. *Co-corresponding authors.
6) Jianxin Guo, Richard I. Duclos Jr., V. Kiran Vemuri and Alexandros Makriyannis The conformations of 17β-estradiol (E2) and 17α-estradiol as determined by solution NMR Tetrahedron Lett. 51: 3465-3469, 2010.
7) Grazyna Weltrowska, Nga N. Chung, Carole Lemieux, Jianxin Guo, Yixin Lu, Brian C. Wilkes and Peter W. Schiller Carba-Analogues of Fentanyl are Opioid Receptor Agonists” J. Med. Chem. 53: 2875–2881, 2010.
8) Jianxin Guo, De-Ping Yang, Ravi Chari, Xiaoyu Tian, Spiro Pavlopoulos, Dai Lu and Alexandros Makriyannis Magnetically Aligned Bicelles To Study the Orientation of Lipophilic Ligands in Membrane Bilayers J. Med. Chem. 51:6793-6799, 2008.
9) Dai Lu, Jianxin Guo, Richard I. Duclos, Jr., Anna L. Bowman, and Alexandros Makriyannis Bornyl- and Isobornyl-Δ8-tetrahydrocannabinols: A Novel Class of Cannabinergic Ligands J. Med. Chem. 51:6393-6399, 2008.
10) Richard I. Duclos Jr., Dai Lu, Jianxin Guo, Alexandros Makriyannis Synthesis and characterization of 2-substituted bornane pharmacophores for novel cannabinergic ligands Tetrahedron Lett. 49: 5587–5589, 2008.
11) Subramanian K. Vadivel, Sundararaman Vardarajan, Richard I. Duclos Jr., JodiAnne T. Wood, Jianxin Guo and Alexandros Makriyannis Conformationally constrained analogues of 2-arachidonoylglycerol Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 17: 5959-5963, 2007.
12) Demetris P. Papahatjis, Victoria R. Nahmias, Spyros P. Nikas, Thanos Andreou, Shakiru O. Alapafuja, Andrew Tsotinis, Jianxin Guo, Pusheng Fan, and Alexandros Makriyannis C1'-Cycloalkyl Side Chain Pharmacophore in Tetrahydrocannabinols J. Med. Chem. 50: 4048 -4060, 2007.
13) Xiaoyu Tian, Jianxin Guo, Fenmei Yao, De-ping Yang and Alexandros Makriyannis “The Conformation, Location, and Dynamic Properties of the Endocannabinoid Ligand Anandamide in a Membrane Bilayer J. Biol. Chem. 280: 29788-29795, 2005.
14) Alexandros Makriyannis, Jianxin Guo, Xiaoyu Tian “Albumin Enhances the Diffusion of Lipophilic Drugs into the Membrane Bilayer Life Sci. 77:1605-1611, 2005.
15) Alexandros Makriyannis, Xiaoyu Tian, Jianxin Guo “How Lipophilic Cannabinergic Ligands Reach Their Receptor Sites? Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 77:210-218, 2005.
16) Gregory Choi, Jianxin Guo and Alexandros Makriyannis The Conformation of the Cytoplasmic Helix 8 of the CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Using NMR and Circular Dichroism Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1668:1-9, 2005.
17) Jianxin Guo, Spiro Pavlopoulos, Xiaoyu Tian, Dai Lu, De-Ping Yang and Alexandros Makriyannis Conformational Study of Lipophilic Ligands in Phospholipid Model Membrane Systems by Solution NMR J. Med. Chem. 46:4838-4846, 2003.
18) Fenmei Yao, Sonya Palmer, Atmaram Khanolkar, Xiaoyu Tian, Jianxin Guo and Alexandros Makriyannis Synthesis of 15N-, 13C- and 2H-Labeled Methanandamide Analogs J. Lab. Comp. Radiopharm. 46:115-129, 2003.
19) Xi-An Mao and Jianxin Guo Radiation Damping Induced Harmonic Peaks in two-dimensional SECSY and COSY NMR Spectra of Water Prog. Nat. Sci. 7(3):350-354, 1997.
20) Jianxin Guo and Xi-An Mao Radiation Damping Induced Half-Spaced Harmonic Peaks in Two-Dimensional J-Resolved NMR Spectrum on Liquid Water J. Phys. II France 6:1183-1193, 1996.
21) Jianxin Guo and Xi-An Mao Artifacts in Two-Dimensional NMR NOESY Spectra of water due to Radiation Damping Acta Physica Sinica 45(11):1793-1799, 1996.
22) Xi-An Mao, Jianxin Guo and Jinhong Chen Mechanism for the Harmonic Peaks in the Two-Dimensional Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Correlation Spectrum of Liquid Water J. Phys. D 29:1595-1600, 1996.
23) Xi-An Mao and Jianxin Guo Application of radiation damping line shape theory to interpreting the harmonic peaks in two dimensional spectra of liquid water Bull. Magn. Reson. 18: 65-70, 1996.
24) Jianxin Guo and Xi-An Mao Longitudinal Relaxation Effects on Transverse Magnetization and the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Line Shape Phys. Rev. B 50:13461-13466, 1994.
25) Xi-An Mao, Jianxin Guo and Chaohui Ye Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Line Shape theory in the presence of radiation Damping Phys. Rev. B 49:15702-15711, 1994.