Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Biochemistry from Bharathidasan University and M.Phil. & Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry from Annamalai University, India. He was a Post-doctoral Research Associate at the Indian Institute of Science, India where he worked onrole and importance of synthetic, natural and dietary chemo-preventive agents against variety of cancers. Before joining at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine he was a UNESCO-RCB Young Investigator at the UNESCO-Regional Center for Biotechnology, focusing his research in the area of DNA drug delivery and breast cancer therapy. In 2012, he joined the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University of Maryland, School of Medicine where he worked on the role of various phytochemicals and adiponectin as antagonist against leptin induced carcinogenesis.In addition to that he worked on mechanistic elucidation of signaling cross-talk between adiponectin and leptin in hepatocellular carcinoma. Additionally, he also worked on to elucidate role of obesity in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), breast cancer and autophagy. In 2017, he joined the Institute of Human Virology, where he worked onmany independent projects that aim to decipher the role of NF-KB in the development of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs); decipher the role of an E3 ubiquitin ligase Trim33 in the development and functions of dendritic cells, and understand the role of TSC1 in hematopoiesis.
Cancer Therapeutics; Small Molecule Inhibitors; Viral Oncology; Chronic Liver Disease; Autophagy; Epithelial Mesenchymal transitions and Hematopoiesis; Hematopoietic Stem Cells;HIV-1 Antigen-Antibody Interactions
1. PanjamurthyKuppusamy, ArumugamNagalingam, NethajiMuniraj, Neeraj K. Saxena&Dipali Sharma. Concomitant activation of ETS like transcription factor-1 and Death Receptor-5 via extracellular signal-regulated kinase in withaferinAmediated inhibition of hepatocarcinogenesis in mice. Scientific Reports; 2017; 7:17943. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-18190-4.
2. BeiXie, ArumugamNagalingam, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, NethajiMuniraj, Peter Langford, Balazs Geoffrey, Neeraj K. Saxena, Dipali Sharma. Benzyl Isothiocyanate potentiates p53 signaling and antitumor effects against breast cancer through activation of p53-LKB1 and p73-LKB1 axes. Scientific Reports, 2017; 7:40070. DOI: 10.1038/srep40070.
3. Seung J. Chung, GanjiPurnachandraNagaraju, ArumugamNagalingam, NethajiMuniraj, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, Alyssa Walker, Juhyung Woo, BalázsGy?rffy, Ed Gabrielson, Neeraj K. Saxena&Dipali Sharma. ADIPOQ/adiponectin induces cytotoxic autophagy in breast cancer cells through STK11/LKB1-mediated activation of the AMPK-ULK1 axis, Autophagy, 2017; 13(8): 1–18.
4. S Sengupta, A Nagalingam, N Muniraj, MY Bonner, P Mistriotis, A Afthinos,PanjamurthyKuppusamy, D Lanoue, S Cho, P Korangath, M Shriver, A Begum,VF Merino, C-Y Huang, JL Arbiser, W Matsui, B Gy?rffy, K Konstantopoulos, SSukumar, PA Marignani, NK Saxena and D Sharma. Activation of tumor suppressor LKB1 by honokiol abrogates cancer stem-like phenotype in breast cancer via inhibition of oncogenic Stat3. Oncogene, 2017; 1-13.
5. Anan H. Said, Shien Hu, Ameer Abutaleb, Tonya Watkins, Kunrong Cheng, AhmedChahdi, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, NeerajSaxena, GuofengXieand Jean-Pierre Raufman. Interacting post-muscarinic receptor signaling pathways potentiate matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression and invasion of human colon cancer cells. Biochemical Journal, 2017; 474: 647–665.
6. Kuppusamy P, Nagalingam A, Drachenberg C, Sharma D and Saxena NK. Withaferin A suppresses and inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma-cell proliferation and tumor burden via activation of ERK1/2-ELK1-RSK-DR5 axis.The FASEB Journal 2017; 31:Suppl. 1, Pages lb179-lb179.
7. Dimiter B. Avtanski, ArumugamNagalingam, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, Michael Y. Bonner, Jack L. Arbiser, Neeraj K. Saxena and Dipali Sharma. Honokiol abrogates leptin-induced tumor progression by inhibiting Wnt1-MTA1-βcatenin signaling axis in a microRNA34a dependent manner. Oncotarget. 2015; 6(18):16396-410.
8. ArumugamNagalingam, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, Shivendra V Singh, DipaliSharma, Neeraj K Saxena. Mechanistic Elucidation of the Antitumor Properties of Withaferin A in Breast Cancer. Cancer Research. 2014; 74 (9), 2617-2629.
9. ArumugamNagalingam, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, NeerajSaxena, Dipali Sharma. A novel role of Withaferin A as an effective pro-apoptotic receptor agonist (PARA) and insights into the underlying molecular mechanisms. In: Proceedings of the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2014 Apr 5-9; San Diego, CA. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; Cancer Res 2014; 74(19 Suppl):Abstractnr LB-113. doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2014-LB-113.
10. PanjamurthyKuppusamy, Sandeep Khurana, Dipali Sharma, Neeraj K. Saxena.Honokiol Resolves Hepatic-Steatosis and Inhibits Lipotoxic Effects of Free Fatty Acids in Primary Human Hepatocytes and Huh7 Cells. Gastroenterology. 2013; 144 (5), Suppl. 1, Page S-1019
11. Sreekanth V, Bansal S, Motiani RK, Kundu S, Muppu SK, Majumdar TD,Panjamurthy K, Sengupta S, Bajaj A. Design, Synthesis, and Mechanistic Investigations of Bile Acid-Tamoxifen Conjugates for Breast Cancer Therapy. Bioconjug Chem. 2013; 18:24(9); 1468-84.
12. Dimiter B. Avtanski, ArumugamNagalingam, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, Neeraj K. Saxena, Dipali Sharma. A novel bioactive approach to inhibit leptin-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer. In: Proceedings of the 104th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2013 Apr 6-10; Washington, DC. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; Cancer Res 2013; 73(8 Suppl): Abstract nr 5497. doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2013-5497.
13. ArumugamNagalingam, Joseph H BOK, PanjamurthyKuppusamy, NeerajSaxena, Dipali Sharma. Withaferin A-mediated inhibition of breast carcinoma involves concomitant activation of CHOP and Elk1 via ERK/ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK) signaling axis regulating death receptor 5 expression. In: Proceedings of the 104th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2013 Apr 6-10; Washington, DC. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; Cancer Res 2013; 73(8 Suppl):Abstractnr 5501. doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2013-5501.
14. PanjamurthyKupusammy, Sandeep Khurana, Dipali Sharma, Neeraj K. Saxena. Autophagic resolution of hepatic-steatosis in primary human hepatocytes and Huh7cells by Withaferin A. Hepatology, 2012; 56 (4), Issue S1, Page 863A. DOI: 10.1002/hep.26040.
15. Hegde M, Karki SS, Thomas E, Kumar S, Panjamurthy K, Ranganatha SR, Rangappa KS, Choudhary B, Raghavan SC. Novel levamisole derivative induces extrinsic pathway of apoptosis in cancer cells and inhibits tumor progression in mice.PLoS One. 2012; 7(9):e43632.