I am an Associate professor of Medical Microbiology at TOBB ETU School of Medicine and also I have the position as the Quality Control Manager of Ankara University Faculty of Medicine Cord Blood Bank (T1CB). My general research interests are Clinical Microbiology/Immunology and Stem Cell Research as well as Regenerative Medicine. I am particularly interested in Cord Blood based Stem Cell Therapies and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. I have a thorough knowledge in both Clinical Microbiology and Immunology and in vitro Cellular approaches as well as Management of Medical Laboratories including Quality Management since the beginning of my academic career
Cord blood transplantation, hematopoetic stem cell transplantation, NK cells, cellular therapies, transplantation immunology, ex-vivo expansion of stem cells, small molecules and immunogical phenotyping of cord blood cells.
1. M Beksac, P Yurdakul. How to Improve Cord Blood Engraftment? Front Med (Lausanne). 2016 Feb 17;3:7. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2016.00007
2. B Yuzugullu, C Celik, TB Ozcelik, S Erkut, P Yurdakul, Y Ocal & B Sener. The Effect of Different Polishing Sequences on the Adhesion of Streptococcus Mutans to Feldspathic Porcelain. doi:10.1080/00218464.2015.1059763, 2015, Taylor&Francis
3. Beksac M and Yurdakul P. Modalities to Improve Cord Blood Engraftment. J Stem Cell Res Ther 2014 4:3, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7633.1000182
4. Attila-Pektas B, Yurdakul P, Gulmez D, Gorduysus O. Antimicrobial effects of root canal medicaments against Enterococcus faecalis and Streptococcus mutans, Int Endod J. 2013 May;46(5):413-8. doi: 10.1111/iej.12004.
5. Yurdakul P, Sener B, Ocal YH, Gulmez D, Yalcin E, Dogru D, Cinel G, Ozcelik U, Kiper EN. Predominance of hospital-associated MRSA among cystic fibrosis patients in a Turkish reference cystic fibrosis centre, J Chemother 2012, 24(4): 195- 201
6. Yurdakul P, Dalton J, Beattie L, Maroof A, Erguven S, Kaye PM. Compartment-specific remodeling of splenic micro-architecture during experimental visceral leishmaniasis. AJP 179 (1):23-29, 2011
7. Saribas Z, Yurdakul P, Cetin-HazÄ±rolan G, Arikan-Akdagli S. Influence of serum on in vitro susceptibility testing of echinocandins for Candida parapsilosis and Candida guilliermondii. Mycoses Jun 12. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0507.2011.02050.x, 2012
8. Ergünay K, Yurdakul P, Åžener B, Özçelik U, Karabulut E, Kiper N. Comparison of extraction methods for PCR detection of Burkholderia cepacia complex (BCC) from cystic fibrosis patients Cent Eur J Med 3(2): 157-162, 2008
9. SarÄ±baÅŸ Z, Yurdakul P, Alp A, Günalp A. Use of fluorescence resonance energy transfer for rapid detection of isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinical isolates. Int J Tuberc Lung Disease 9(2):181-7, 2005
10. PÄ±nar A, Yurdakul P, YÄ±ldÄ±z I, Temiz-Arpaci O, Acan NL, Aki-Sener E, Yalcin I. Some fused heterocyclic compounds as eukaryotic topoisomerase II inhibitors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 317(2):670-674, 2004
11. Arikan S, Yurdakul P, Hascelik G. Comparison of Two Methods and Three Endpoints in Determination of In Vitro Activity of Micafungin Against Aspergillus. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother 47(8):2640-2643, 2003
1. P Yurdakul, EB Gencer, Y Akin, K Dalva, D.C. Katlan, S Beksac ve M Beksac. Ex Vivo Expansion Of Human Umblical Cord Blood Hematopoietic Stem Cells With Valproic Acid +/- Nicotinamide Or Notch-Ligand +/- Fibronectin, ISCT Annual Meeting, 24-28 May 2016, Singapore
2. P Yurdakul, EB Gencer, Y Akin, K Dalva ve M Beksac. Ex vivo Expansion of Human Cord Blood: Comparison of Enhancers. BMT Tandem Meetings, 18-22 Feb 2016, Honolulu-Hawaii, USA.
3. DC Katlan, HY Akin, B Konuralp, B Varli, P Yurdakul, B VarlÄ±, A Koç, M Beksaç ve F Söylemez Attitude of Turkish Women Towards Umblical Cord Blood Donation and Storage: Knowledge, Concerns, Decisions, Oral Presentation, 12nd World Perinatology Conference, 3-5 November 2015
4. P Yurdakul, EB Gencer HYAkin, N Sato, C Fricke, M Beksac. Comparison of Red Blood Cell and Plasma Depletion Efficiencies of Two Methods from Cord Blood. Automated Sepax(Biosafe) and Manual Celleffic CB (Kaneka), 20. European Hematology Association (EHA) Conference, 11-14 June 2015, Vienna, Austria
5. DC Katlan, P Yurdakul, B VarlÄ±, F Söylemez, M Beksaç. Maternal Body Mass Index And Estimated Fetal Weight May Predict Eligibility Of Donated Cord Blood Units: An Algorithm Proposal. 5th International Cord Blood and Cellular Therapies Meeting, Monaco, March 5-8 2015
6. P Yurdakul, EB Gencer, D Gerceker, G Tezcan Karasu, A Yesilipek, A Unal, M Cetin, DC Katlan, S Beksac, M Beksac. CMV Viremia and Infection Rates Following Transplantation of Cord Blood Units Collected and Stored by Ankara University Cord Blood Bank. 5th International Cord Blood and Cellular Therapies Meeting, Monaco, March 5-8 2015
7. P Yurdakul, SO Erdinc, H Karakaya, S Ozkul, K Dalva, D Katlan, F Çelebi, MS Beksac, M Beksac. Impact Of Maternal Thrombophilia On Donated Umblical Cord Blood Cellular Content, June 6-8 2013, 11th Annual International Cord Blood Symposium, San Francisco, ABD.
8. S Ozkul, F Akal, A Basalp, P Yurdakul, K Dalva, M Beksac. Impact of Donor and Cord Blood Unit Numbers on Finding a Suitable Match Within a Small Sized Registry (TRAN). National Marrow Donor Program 2012 Council Meeting, November 2-7 2012, Minneapolis, ABD.
9. B Pektas-Atila, P Yurdakul, D Gulmez, O Gorduysus. Antimicrobial Effects of Root Canal Medicaments Against Enterococcus faecalis and Streptococcus mutans. International Association for Dental Research Congress, September 12-15 2012, Helsinki, Finland. Poster no:685
10. P Yurdakul, B Sener, Y Ocal, D Gulmez, U Ozcelik, D Dogru, N Kiper. Predominance of SCCmecIII Type MRSA Among Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Patients in Turkish Reference CF Center. 110th General Meeting of American Society For Microbiology (ASM), 23-27 May 2010, San Diego, California, USA. Poster no: C-2608
11. E Ruh, HY Ocal, P Yurdakul, Z Saribas, A Alp. Rapid Detection of Ciprofloxacin Resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis Clinical Isolates by Two Colorimetric Assays. 20th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, 10-13 June 2010, Viyana, Austria. Poster no: P-2652
12. Z Saribas, P Yurdakul, G Çetin, S Arikan. Influence Of Serum on In Vitro Susceptibility Testing of Echinocandins for Candida parapsilosis and Candida guilliermondii. 4th Trends in Medical Mycology, November 18-21 2009 Athens, Greece. Poster no: P-015
13. P Yurdakul. Investigation of The Role of Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (Gelatinase B) Enzyme In The Spleen During The Course of Experimental Visceral Leishmaniasis. July 11–17 2009 8. ESCMID Summer School, Porto, Portugal. Oral Presentation no: 22
14. K Ergunay, P Yurdakul, N Cobanoglu, B Sener, E Yalcin, N Kiper. Sensitivity of recA PCR for Direct Detection of Burkholderia cepacia complex (BCC) from Sputum of CF Patients. 30th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, June 13-17 2007, Belek, Antalya, Turkiye.
15. P Yurdakul, L Beattie, A Maroof, PM Kaye. Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Expression in Spleen during Leishmania donovani infection. Feb 20-23 2007, British Society for Immunology (BSI) Annual Congress, GlasgowScotland. Poster no: BA-7156
16. P Yurdakul, K Ergunay, E Yalcin, D Dogru, B Sener, N Cobanoglu, U Ozcelik, N Kiper. Burkholderia cepacia Complex Isolation And Identification in a Turkish CF Unit. 29th European Cystic Fibrosis Conference, 15-18 Haziran 2006, Copenhagen, Denmark. Poster no: 148
17. P Yurdakul, K Ergunay, E Buber, B Sener. Performance of Different DNA Extraction Systems from Sputum Samples: A Preliminary Study. 31st Meeting of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) Meeting, Molecules in Health & Disease June 24-29 2006, Ä°stanbul, Türkiye. Poster no: PP-736
18. I YÄ±ldÄ±z, O Temiz Arpaci, B Zafer, B Tekiner Gulba, S Alper, EAki-Sener, I YalcÄ±n, A Pinar, P Yurdakul, L Acan. Pharmacophore Analysis of Some Isosteric Fused Heterocyclics as Topoisomerase II Inhibitors. The 15th European Symposium on Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationships & Molecular Modelling, EuroQSAR, September 5-10 2004, Ä°stanbul, Türkiye. Poster no: B-18
19. Z Saribas, P Yurdakul, A Alp, A Gunalp. Rapid Detection of Isoniazid Resistance in Mycobacterium Tuberculosis by Real Time PCR and Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer. 3rd Balkan Conference of Microbiology, Microbiologia Balkanica, September 4-7 2003, Ä°stanbul, Türkiye. Poster no: B-79
20. P Yurdakul, T Kocagoz, A Gunalp. Investigation of embB Codon 306 Mutations in Ethambutol Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis Strains by Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) Methods. 3rd Balkan Conference of Microbiology, Microbiologia Balkanica, September 4-7 2003, Ä°stanbul, Türkiye. Poster no: B-80
21. A Pinar, P Yurdakul, I YalcÄ±n, E Aki-Sener, O Temiz-Arpaci, L Açan. Eukaryotic topoisomerase II activity of some novel fused heterocyclic compounds. 28th Meeting of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies, October 20-25 2002, Ä°stanbul, Türkiye. Poster no: PS5-083
22. S Arikan, G Hascelik, P Yurdakul. Comparison of Two Methods and Three Endpoints in Determination of In Vitro Activity of Micafungin Against Aspergillus. 42nd Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, September 27-30 2002, San Diego, California, USA. Poster no: M-1490