Dr. Khaled Mahmoud: is Senior Scientist and team lead at the Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI), Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Doha. Qatar. His main research interest focus on developing 2D carbon based nanocomposite materials for water desalination membranes, photovoltaic electrodes and environmental monitoring applications. He has published several high impact publications in the field. Dr. Mahmoud obtained his PhD (2007) in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada.Prior joining QEERI, he served as Project lead and Research Officer at the National Research Council (CNRC), Montreal, Canada.He is specialized in electrochemistry, impedance spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS).He received several awards including Excellence Achievement Award and NSERC-Visiting Fellowship, BRI-NRC Montréal, QC, Canada. Dr. Mahmoud is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC), Cellulose and Renewable Materials, ACS Colloids and Surface Sciences.
1.The engineering and synthesis of nanomaterials for multidisciplinary applications including sustainable water treatment, energy storage, solar energy, environmental monitoring, nanocatalysis, and enhanced oil recovery (EOR) applications.
2.Nanomaterials for selective membranes and water purification technologies
3. Antimicrobial nanocomposites for seawater disinfection and antifouling coatings
4.Smart nanoemulsions for EOR and oil/water separation applications
5. Nanomaterials for photovoltaic transparent electrodes and Li ion battery anode
1. Berdiyorov,GR, M. E. Madjet, ME, and Mahmoud, KA “Ionic sieving through Ti3C2(OH)2 MXene: first principles calculations” J. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2015, 108, 113110
2. K Rasool, K; Helal, M; Ali, A; Ren, CE; Gogotsi Y; Mahmoud, KA* “Antibacterial activity of Ti3C2Tx (MXene): Towards a New Family of Antimicrobial Water Treatment Membranes” ACS Nano 2016, 10, 3674-3684 (IF 13)
3. Ali, A; Belaidi, A; Helal, M; Ali, S; Mahmoud, KA* "Transparent and Conductive Ti3C2Tx (MXene)Thin Film Fabrication by Electrohydrodynamic Atomization Technique" Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics, 2016, 27, 5440-5445
4. Kulakovich, OS; Shabunya-Klyachkovskaya, EV; Matsukovich, AS, Rasool K, Mahmoud KA*, and Gaponenko, S.V. “Nanoplasmonic Raman detection of bromate in water” Optics Express 2016, 24, A174-179 (IF 3.8)
5. Anas, M; Han, DS; Mahmoud, KA; Park, H; Abdel-Wahab, A “Photocatalytic degradation of organic dye using titanium dioxide modified with metal and non-metal deposition” Mater. Sci. Semicond. Process. 2016, 41, 209-218
6. CE Ren, KB Hatzell, M Alhabeb, Z Ling, Mahmoud, KA*, Y Gogotsi* “Charge and Size Selective Ion Sieving Through Ti3C2Tx MXene Membranes” J Phys Chem lett. 2015, 6, 4026–4031. (IF 7)
7. Sinha S; Mahmoud, KA*; Das S* “Conditions for spontaneous oil-water separation with oil-water separators” RSC Advances 2015, 5, 80184-80191
8. K Rasool, Mahmoud, KA, DS Lee “Influence of co-substrate on textile wastewater treatment and microbial community changes in the anaerobic biological sulfate reduction process” J. Hazardous Material, 2015 , 299, 453–461.
9. Ren C. E., Alhabeb M., Hatzell K. B., Ling Z., Mahmoud K. and Gogotsi Y. (2015). Mxene-Based Membranes As Novel Materials for Ion Separation. The Electrochemical Society Meeting MA2015-01(9), 886.
10. Mahmoud, KA*; Abdel-Wahab A, Zourob M “Selective Electrochemical Detection and Subsequent Removal of 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene (TNT) from Water based on Poly (styrene-co-acrylic acid) PSA/SiO2/Fe3O4/AuNPs/Lignin-Modified Glassy Carbon Electrod” Water Sci. Technol., 2015, 72, 1780-1788
11. Raj, J G; Quintanilla, M; Mahmoud, KA; Ng, Andy; Vetrone, F; Zourob, M "Sensitive Detection of ssDNA using a FRET-Based Upconverting Nanohybrid Material" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2015, 7, 18257-18265
12. Almasri D., Mahmoud KA, Abdel-Wahab A “Two-stage sulfate removal from reject brine in inland desalination with zero-liquid discharge” Desalination 2015, 263, 52-58
13. Fard, A; Manawi, Y.; Khraisheh, M; Mahmoud, KA; Farid Benyahia, F “Synoptic Analysis of Direct Contact Membrane Distillation Performance in Qatar: A case Study” Desalination 2015, 360, 97-107
14. Mahmoud, KA*; Mansoor,B.; Mansour,A.;Khraisheh,M.” Functional graphene nanosheets: The next generation membranes for water desalination” Desalination, 2015, 356, 208-225.
15. Ali, A; Ali, K; Mahmoud, KA; Hyun, MT. "Different approaches to PVP/graphene composite film fabrication using electrohydrodynamic atomization technique." Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics: 2014, 1-6.
16. Daignan J-M, Chen R, Mahmoud KA, Ma Y, Hill IG, et al. (2014) Patterning of Nanocrystalline Cellulose Gel Phase by Electrodissolution of a Metallic Electrode. PLoS ONE 2014, 9, e99202. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0099202
17. Mahmoud, KA*; Lam, E; Hrapovic, S; Luong, JHT “Preparation of Well-dispersed Gold/Magnetite Nanoparticles on Cellulose Nanocrystals for Enzyme Immobilization” ACS Appl. Mat. Interfaces, 2013, 5, 4978-4985.
18. Mahmoud, KA*; Zourob, M “Fe3O4/Au Nanoparticles/Lignin Modified Microspheres as Effectual Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Substrate for Highly Selective and Sensitive Detection of 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene (TNT)” Analyst, 2013, 138, 2712-2719.
19. Lam, E; Majid, E.; Leung, ACW; Chong, J.; Mahmoud KA; Luong, JHT “Synthesis of Furfural from Xylose by Heterogeneous and Reusable Nafion Catalysts” ChemSusChem. 2011, 4, 535–541.
20. Leung, ACW; Hrapovic, S; Lam, E; Liu, Y; Male, KB; Mahmoud, KA; Luong, JHT. “Characteristics and Properties of Carboxylated Cellulose Nanocrystals Prepared from a Novel One-Step Procedure” Small, 2011, 7, 302–305.
21. Mahmoud, KA; Mena, J; Male, KB; Hrapovic, S.; Kamen, A; Luong, JHT. “Effect of Surface Charge on the Cellular Uptake and Cytotoxicity of Fluorescent Labeled Cellulose Nanocrystals” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2010, 2, 2924–2932.
22. Mahmoud, KA; Luong, JHT. “A Sensitive Electrochemical Assay for Early Detection of HIV-1 Protease using Ferrocene-Peptide Conjugate/Au Nanoparticle/ Single Walled Carbon Nanotube Modified Electrode” Anal. Lett., 2010, 43, 1680–1687.
23. Stoeffler, K; Ton That, MT; Denault, J; Leung, CW; Mahmoud, K, J Luong, W Hu “Polymer composites based on nanocrystalline cellulose“ Proceedings of the Polymer Processing Society 26th, 2010, PPS-26.
24. Mahmoud, KA; Male, KB; Hrapovic, S; Luong, JHT. “Cellulose Nanocrystal/Gold Nanoparticle Composite as a Matrix for Enzyme Immobilization” ACS Appl. Mat. Interfaces, 2009, 1, 1383–1386.
25. Shang, F; Zhou, L; Mahmoud, KA; Hrapovic, S; Luong, JHT. “Selective Nanomolar Detection of Dopamine using a Boron-Doped Diamond Electrode Modified with an Electropolymerized Sulfobutylether-beta-cyclodextrin-doped poly(N-acetyltyramine) and Polypyrrole Composite Film” Anal. Chem., 2009, 81, 4089–4098.