Dr. Xianzhong Yu is an associate professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, Clemson University. He received his Ph.D. from the MCB program of Ohio University. His research has been involved with cancer gene therapy, cancer immunotherapy, and transgenic animal models. He has published more than 40 articles in peer-reviewed international journals and received five patents.
(1) Cancer gene therapy and Immunotherapy
(2) Transgenic animal models
1. A Tietje, J.L., X Yu and Y Wei, MULT1E/mIL-12: a novel bifunctional protein for natural killer cell activation.Gene Therapy 2014.
2. Alcendor RR, G.S., Zhai P, Zablocki D, Holle E, Yu X, Tian B, Wagner T, Vatner SF, Sadoshima J., Sirt1 regulates aging and resistance to oxidative stress in the heart.Circ Res, 2007.100: p. 1512-21.
3. Novel Dendritic Cell-based Vaccination in Late State Melanoma. Human Vaccines &Immunotherapeutics 2014. 10(11)
4. Barnett FH, S.-S.M., Wood M, Yu X, Wagner TE, Friedlander M., Intra-arterial delivery of endostatin gene to brain tumors prolongs survival and alters tumor vessel ultrastructure.Gene Therapy, 2004. 11: p. 1283-9.
5. Branham-O'Connor M, L.J., Kotturi HS, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Fusion induced reversal of dendritic cell maturation: an altered expression of inflammatory chemokine and chemokine receptors in dendritomas.Oncol Rep, 2010. 23: p. 545-50.
6. Collins NH, L.E., DuSell CD, McDonnell DP, Fowler L, Palomino WA, Illera MJ, Yu X, Mo B, Houwing AM, Lessey BA., Characterization of antiestrogenic activity of the Chinese herb, prunella vulgaris, using in vitro and in vivo (Mouse Xenograft) models.BiolReprod, 2009.80: p. 375-83.
7. Damiri B, H.E., Yu X, Baldwin WS., Lentiviral-mediated RNAi knockdown yields a novel mouse model for studying Cyp2b function.ToxicolSci, 2012. 125: p. 368-81.
8. Depre C, H.M., Gaussin V, Zajac A, Wang L, Hittinger L, Ghaleh B, Yu X, Kudej RK, Wagner T, Sadoshima J, Vatner SF, H11 kinase is a novel mediator of myocardial hypertrophy in vivo.Circ Res, 2002.91: p. 1007-14.
9. Holle L, H.L., Song W, Holle E, Wagner T, Yu X., Bcl-2 targeting siRNA expressed by a T7 vector system inhibits human tumor cell growth in vitro.Int J Oncol., 2004. 24: p. 615-21.
10. Holle L, S.W., Holle E, Wei Y, Wagner T, Yu X., A matrix metalloproteinase 2 cleavable melittin/avidin conjugate specifically targets tumor cells in vitro and in vivo.Int J Oncol, 2003. 22: p. 93-8.
11. Holle L, S.W., Hicks L, Holle E, Holmes L, Wei Y, Li J, Wagner T, Yu X., In vitro targeted killing of human endothelial cells by co-incubation of human serum and NGR peptide conjugated human albumin protein bearing alpha (1-3) galactose epitopes.Oncol Rep, 2004. 11: p. 613-6.
12. Holle L, S.W., Holle E, Wei Y, Li J, Wagner TE, Yu X., In vitro- and in vivo-targeted tumor lysis by an MMP2 cleavable melittin-LAP fusion protein.Int J Oncol, 2009. 35: p. 829-35.
13. Holle L, S.W., Holle E, Nilsson J, Wei Y, Li J, Wagner TE, Yu X., In vivo targeted killing of prostate tumor cells by a synthetic amoebapore helix 3 peptide modified with two γ-linked glutamate residues at the COOH terminus.Mol Med Rep, 2009.2: p. 399-403.
14. Ji H, Y.X., Wagner TE., A long-term culture system for the expansion of hematopoietic stem cells from embryonic yolk sac with the capacity to seed erythroid and lymphoid development in vitro and to reconstitute the lymphoid compartment in severe combined immunodeficient mice.Artif Organs, 1996.20: p. 1093-109.
15. Ji J, L.J., Holmes LM, Burgin KE, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Glycoinositol phospholipid-anchored interleukin 2 but not secreted interleukin 2 inhibits melanoma tumor growth in mice.Mol Cancer Ther, 2002.1: p. 1019-24.
16. Ji J, L.J., Holmes LM, Burgin KE, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Synergistic anti-tumor effect of glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored IL-2 and IL-12.J Gene Med, 2004.6: p. 777-85.
17. Jinhua Li, Marisa Wall, D.K.W. Wong, Xianzhong Yu, and Yanzhang Wei, Antitumor activity of fermented noni exudates and its fractions.MolClinOncol., 2013. 1: p. 161–164.
18. Jinhua Li, X.Yu., Thomas E. Wagner and Yanzhang Wei, A biotinâ€‘streptavidinâ€‘biotin bridge dramatically enhances cell fusion.Oncology Letters, 2014.
19. Kotturi HS, L.J., Branham-O'Connor M, Stickel SL, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Tumor cells expressing a fusion protein of MULT1 and Fas are rejected in vivo by apoptosis and NK cell activation.Gene Therapy, 2008. 15: p. 1302-10.
20. Kotturi HS, L.J., Branham-O'Connor M, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., In vitro and in vivo delivery of novel anticancer fusion protein MULT1E/FasTI via adenoviral vectors.Cancer Gene Ther, 2010. 13: p. 164-70.
21. Lessey, E.C.M., B. L.; Yu, X.; Lessey, B. A, The Chinese Herb, Prunella Vulgaris, Exhibits Anti-Estrogenic Activity and Inhibits Proliferation of the Endometrial Cancer Cell Line, ECC-1.J. Soc. Gynecol. Investig., 2005. 12(2)(supplement): p 90A.
22. Li J, B.-V.H., Holmes LM, Burgin KE, Jakubchak S, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Inhibition or promotion of tumor growth by granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor derived from engineered tumor cells is dose-dependent.Anticancer Res, 2004.24: p. 2717-21.
23. Li J, F.K., Patterson AL, Holmes LM, Burgin KE, Ji J, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Targeting foreign major histocompatibility complex molecules to tumors by tumor cell specific single chain antibody (scFv).Int J Oncol, 2003. 23: p. 1329-32.
24. Li J, J.J., Holmes LM, Burgin KE, Barton LB, Yu X, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Fusion protein from RGD peptide and Fc fragment of mouse immunoglobulin G inhibits angiogenesis in tumor.Cancer Gene Ther, 2004. 11: p. 363-70.
25. Li J, S.S., Bouton-Verville H, Burgin KE, Yu X, Wong DK, Wagner TE, Wei Y., Fermented Noni exudate (fNE): a mediator between immune system and anti-tumor activity.Oncol Rep, 2008. 20: p. 1505-1509.