Dr. Elefteriades graduated magna cum laude with a triple major in Physics, French and Psychology from Yale University. He received his MD degree from the Yale University School of Medicine. He trained at Yale in both general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery. After completing his training, he joined the faculty at the Yale University School of Medicine. He performs all aspects of adult cardiac and thoracic surgery. He is a recognized authority in interventions for the failing left ventricle, including coronary artery bypass grafting, left ventricular aneurysmectomy, and artificial heart implantation. Dr. Elefteriades directs the Aortic Institute at Yale-New Haven Hospital, one of the nations largest facilities for treatment of the dilated thoracic aorta. He conducts laboratory research in new techniques of heart transplantation.
Dr. Elefteriades research work into brain and spinal cord protection via hypothermia.
1. Elefteriades JA, Panjabi MJ, Tilson MD. Reduced tensile strength of skin from the spontaneously aneurysm-prone blotchy mouse. Surg Forum. 1982;33:58-60.
2. Elefteriades JA, Spencer DD, Gusberg RJ. Vertebral artery stenosis with brain stem ischemia: anatomic and therapeutic implications. Conn Med.1982;46:628-32.
3. Elefteriades JA, Kay HA, Stansel HC, Jr., Geha AS. Extraanatomical reconstruction for bilateral intrathoracic subclavian artery aneurysms. Ann Thorac Surg. 1983;35:188-91.
4. Gertler JP, Elefteriades JA, Kopf GS, Hashim SW, Hammond GL, Geha AS. Predictors of outcome in early revascularization after acute myocardial infarction. Am J Surg. 1985;149:441-4.
5. August DA, Elefteriades JA. Technique to facilitate open placement of permanent pacing leads through the cephalic vein. Ann Thorac Surg. 1986;42:112.
6. Gertler JP, Brophy C, Elefteriades J. Esophageal rupture after routine Maloney dilatation. A proposed mechanism. J Clin Gastroenterol. 1986;8:175-6.
7. Glenn WW, Phelps ML, Elefteriades JA, Dentz B, Hogan JF. Twenty years of experience in phrenic nerve stimulation to pace the diaphragm. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1986;9:780-4.
8. Kopf GS, Hammond GL, Geha AS, Elefteriades J, Hashim SW. Long-term performance of the St. Jude Medical valve: low incidence of thromboembolism and hemorrhagic complications with modest doses of warfarin. Circulation. 1987;76:III132-6.
9. Brill DA, Deckelbaum LI, Remetz MS, Soufer R, Elefteriades JA, Zaret BL. Recovery of severe ischemic ventricular dysfunction after coronary artery bypass grafting. Am J Cardiol. 1988;61:650-1.
10. Vasseur BG, Elefteriades JA, Hammond GL, Havill A, Gillis CN. Pulmonary metabolic function can serve as a monitor for lung rejection. Am Rev Respirat Dis. 1988; Supp.137: 367.
11. Elefteriades JA. Cardiac assist devices. Cardiol Clin.1988;6:449-59.
12. Chyatte D, Elefteriades J, Kim B. Profound hypothermia and circulatory arrest for aneurysm surgery. Case report. J Neurosurg. 1989;70:489-91.
13. Schulman DS, Remetz MS, Elefteriades J, Frances CK. Mild mitral insufficiency is a marker of impaired left ventricular performance in aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1989;13:796-803.
14. Lister G, Elefteriades JA, Kopf GS, Hammond GL, Ponn R, Saltiel A. Resuscitation of cold water immersion victims with cardiopulmonary bypass. J Crit Care.1989; 4:54-7.
15. Elefteriades JA. Discussion of Miller JI: Phrenic nerve pacing of the quadriplegic patient. 69th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1990;99:39-40.
16. Elefteriades JA, Biblo LA, Batsford WP, Rosenfeld LE, Henthorn RW, Carlson MD, Waldo AL, Hsu J, Geha AS. Evolving patterns in the surgical treatment of malignant ventricular tachyarrhythmias. Ann Thorac Surg.1990;49:94-100.
17. Elefteriades JA, Hammond GL, Gusberg RJ, Kopf GS, Baldwin JC. Fenestration revisited. A safe and effective procedure for descending aortic dissection. Arch Surg.1990;125:786-90.
18. Letsou GV, West K, Hogan J, Condos S, Lee P, Baldwin JC, Elefteriades JA. Half cuff electrode stimulation of the thoracodorsal nerve for skeletal muscle ventricle is as effective as full cuff in dogs. FASEB J. 1990;4:A1094.
19. Letsou GV, Franco KL, Kopf GS, Dewar ML, Elefteriades JA, Hammond GL, Baldwin JC. Heart-lung transplantation: initial experience in New England. Conn Med. 1990;54:419-24.
20. Rafferty T, Durkin M, Elefteriades J, Hines R, O\'Connor TZ. Right ventricular wall motion following cardiopulmonary bypass: Anesthesiol. 1990;73:S3-A158.
21. Gertler J, Clemen M, Wohlgelernter D, Ezekowicz M, Elefteriades JA. Left main coronary artery rupture after percutaneous transluminal angioplasty. J Inv Cardiol.1991;3:50-2.
22. Curiale S, Rosenfeld LE, Elefteriades JA. Cosmetic approach for placement of the automatic implantable cardioverter-defibrillator in young women. Ann Thorac Surg. 1991;52:1340-1.
23. Rafferty T, Durkin M, Hines R, Elefteriades J, O\'Connor T: Effects of pericardiectomy on right ventricular dynamics. Anesth Analg. 1991;72:S218.
24. Elefteriades JA, Hartleroad J, Gusberg RJ, Salazar AM, Black HR, Kopf GS, Baldwin JC, Hammond GL. Long-term experience with descending aortic dissection: the complication-specific approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 1992;53:11-20; discussion 20-1.
25. Elefteriades JA, Biblo LA, Batsford WP, Rosenfeld LE, Henthorn RW, Carlson MD, Waldo AL, Hsu J, Geha AS. Figures and tables from evolving patterns in the surgical treatment of malignant ventricular tachyarrhythmias. Curr Opin Cardiol. 1991;6.