Dr. Tampi is an Associate Professor (Tenured) of Psychiatry at the University of Texas, San Antonio. Most recently, he was an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Tampi was a recipient of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, 2013-Clinician of the Year Award and the Geriatric Academic Career Award (GACA) instituted by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). He has also received three â€˜Outstanding Teaching Attending Awardâ€™ and the â€˜Chairmanâ€™s Awardâ€™ for outstanding teaching, research, and clinical work from the Department of Psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine. He has published over 50 articles in peer reviewed national and international journals on various topics in geriatric psychiatry. In addition, Dr. Tampi is a chief editor for three books in psychiatry. Dr. Tampi serves on the editorial board of various peer reviewed national and international journals in psychiatry and is a reviewer for over 20 journals in Neuroscience.
1) Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia
2) Risk of Stroke and Death with Atypical Antipsychotics In Elderly Demented Patients
3) Psychotic Disorders in Late Life.
1. Zdanys KF, Kleiman TG, Macavoy MG, Black BT, Rightmer TE, Grey M, Garman KS, Tampi RR, Gelernter J, van Dyck CH. Apolipoprotein E epsilon4 Allele Increases Risk for Psychotic Symptoms in Alzheimer\'s Disease. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007 Jan;32(1):171-9.
2. Kantrowitz JT, Tampi RR. Risk of psychosis exacerbation by tricyclic antidepressants in unipolar Major Depressive Disorder with psychotic features. J Affect Disord. 2007 Aug 29. .
3. Konovalov S, Muralee S, Tampi RR. Anticonvulsants for the treatment of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia: a literature review. Int Psychogeriatr. 2007 Nov 30;1-16..
4. Wilkins KM, Ostroff R, Tampi RR. Efficacy of electroconvulsive therapy in the treatment of nondepressed psychiatric illness in elderly patients: a review of the literature. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2008 Mar;21(1):3-11. .
5. Zdanys K, Tampi RR. A systematic review of off-label uses of memantine for psychiatric disorders. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Aug 1;32(6):1362-74. .
6. Mukai Y, Tampi RR. Treatment of Depression in the Elderly: A Review of the Recent Literature on the Efficacy of Single- Versus Dual-Action Antidepressants. Clin Ther. 2009;31: 945-961..
7. Shamsi A, Cichon D, Obey J, Muralee S, Williamson D, Aziz R, Tampi RR. Pharmacotherapy for Late-Life Depression with Psychotic Features: A Review of Literature of Randomized Control Trials. Current Psychiatry Reviews. 2010 Aug; 6(3):219-222..
8. Mittal V, Kurup L, Williamson D, Muralee S, Tampi RR. Review: risk of cerebrovascular adverse events and death in elderly patients with dementia when treated with antipsychotic medications: a literature review of evidence. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2011 Feb;26(1):10-28..
9. Henry G, Williamson D, Tampi RR. Efficacy and Tolerability of Antidepressants in the Treatment of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2011 May;26(3):169-83.
10. Mahmoud F, Tampi RR. Valproic Acid-Induced Parkinsonism in the Elderly: A Comprehensive Review of the Literature. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2011 Oct 10..
11. Tampi, R., Ozkan, B. and Williamson, D. (2012) Gabapentin for the treatment of behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia. Advances in Alzheimer\'s Disease, 1, 13-16.doi: 10.4236/aad.2012.12002..
12. Blennow K, Zetterberg H, Rinne JO, Salloway S, Wei J, Black R, Grundman M, Liu E; AAB-001 201/202 Investigators (Tampi R). Effect of immunotherapy with bapineuzumab on cerebrospinal fluid biomarker levels in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol. 2012 Aug;69(8):1002-10. .
13. Nardell M, Tampi RR. Pharmacological Treatments for Frontotemporal Dementias: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2013 Oct 27..
14. Salloway S, Sperling R, Fox NC, Blennow K, Klunk W, Raskind M, Sabbagh M, Honig LS, Porsteinsson AP, Ferris S, Reichert M, Ketter N, Nejadnik B, Guenzler V, Miloslavsky M, Wang D, Lu Y, Lull J, Tudor IC, Liu E, Grundman M, Yuen E, Black R, Brashear HR; Bapineuzumab 301 and 302 Clinical Trial Investigators (Tampi R). Two phase 3 trials of bapineuzumab in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer\'s disease. N Engl J Med. 2014 Jan 23;370(4):322-33..
15. Tampi RR, Tampi DJ. Efficacy and Tolerability of Benzodiazepines for the Treatment of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia. A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen, 6 March 2014.