Audiology and Speech Pathology Programme School of Health Sciences Universiti Sains Malaysia 16150 Kubang Kerian Kelantan, MALAYSIA
Dr. Mohd Normani Zakaria is currently the Chairman and Assistant Professor of Audiology and Speech Pathology Programme, School of Health Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM). He obtained a degree in Master of Clinical Audiology from The University of Western Australia in 2003 and PhD in 2007 from the same University. He teaches in various aspects of audiology and otology for undergraduate and postgraduate students. His research focus is on neurotology, electrophysiology, central auditory disorders, vestibular and tinnitus studies. He has been awarded more than 15 research grants and has authored and co-authored over 50 journal and proceeding publications. He is also the head of the translational neurosciences of BRAINetwork research group of USM, whereby he is actively involved in developing a dynamic model for the central auditory nervous system based on the Artificial Neural Network (ANN) approach. Dr. Zakaria is also working collaboratively with engineers and medical experts in developing computer based products for hearing screening and auditory training, understanding the generation auditory hallucinations, investigating the effect of acoustic stimulation in treating cancer cells and many more. To keep him further active, he has supervised more than 80 students at Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s level. He has also won silver and gold medal awards for his inventions in the field of vestibular.
Otology and Neurotology, Auditory Neuroscience, Electrophysiology, Audiological Engineering, Psychoacoustics, Noise & Hearing, Auditory Rehabilitation, Tinnitus Assessment & Rehabilitation, Balance/Vestibular Assessment & Rehabilitation, Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) Assessment & Rehabilitation, Hearing Amplification Technologies and Newborn Hearing Screening
1) Zakaria MN. Auditory localization abilities in subjects with central auditory processing disorders. PhD Thesis. The University of Western Australia, 2007.
2) Zakaria, MN. A survey on condition of hearing aids worn by hearing-impaired children in special schools. Bachelor of Audiology Thesis. Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 1999.
1. Zuraida Z, Mohd Normani Z, Dinsuhaimi S, Zalina I. Development of Malay version of vertigo symptom scale (MVVSS) for clinical use. Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences. 2010;6(2):31-39. (SCOPUS)
2. Mohd Khairi MD, Noor Rafidah K, Affizal A, Normastura AR, Suzana M, Mohd Normani Z. Anxiety of the mothers with referred baby during Universal Newborn Hearing Screening. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2011:75(4): 513-517. (ISI, IF=1.125)
3. Mohd Khairi MD, Nor Farizan MN, Din Suhaimi S, Normastura AR, Norhani AR, Mohd Normani Z. Screening of dental staff nurses for noise induced hearing loss. B-ENT. 2011;7(4):245-249. (ISI, IF=0.487)
4. Zuraida Zainun, Mohd Normani Zakaria, Dinsuhaimi Sidek. Unilateral absent vestibular evoked myogenic potential in a patient presented with balance disorder: a case report. Pakistan Journal of Otolaryngology (Head & Neck Surgery) 2011;27:46-49.
5. Zuraida Zainun, Mohd Normani Zakaria, Dinsuhaimi Sidek, Zalina Ismail. Clinical use of Malay Version of Vertigo Symptom Scale (MVVSS) in patients with peripheral vestibular disorder (PVD). Medical Journal of Malaysia. 2012;67(4):386-389. (SCOPUS)
1) Zuraida Z, Nur Faizal S, Zefarina Z, Mohd Normani Z, Muzaimi M. Assessment of anxiety symptoms among tinnitus patient using subjective measure: a case study. The 2nd International Environment and Health Conference (IEHC), 27 – 28th August 2014, Perdana Resort, Pantai Cahaya Bulan, Kota Bharu Kelantan, Malaysia.
2) Zuraida Z, Dinsuhaimi Z, Muzaimi M, Normani Z. Are quranic verses effective in treating tinnitus?: Case studies. The 1st National Conference of Neuroscience Indonesia, 12-15 September 2013.
3) Zuraida Z, Geshina A M S, Muzaimi M and Mohd Normani Z. A Preliminary study on reliabilities of the BDI and ATQ Malay versions among Tinnitus patients. International Environment and Health Conference (IEHC), Vistana Hotel, Penang Jun 2012.
4) Zuraida Z, Muhammad Nur Hilmi C H, Muzaimi M and Mohd Normani Z. A Preliminary study on determination the psychological symptoms (emotional, functional and catastrophic) among tinnitus patients using subjective measurement: Borang Evaluasi Soal-Selidik Tinnitus (BEST) Urban Mobility. The 3rd International Conference. 7-8 December 2012. Universitas Airlangga Surabaya, Indonesia.
5) Zuraida Zainun, Mohd Normani Zakaria, Siti Suraya Mansor, Dinsuhaimi Sidek, Zalina Ismail. Preliminary study on the development of an optimal protocol to record Vestibular evoked myogenic potential (VEMP). The 1st USM International Nursing Conference, Renaissance Hotel,Kota Bharu, 14-15th June 2011.
1) Rosninda Abdullah, Mohd Normani Zakaria. The 2nd International Environment and Health Conference (IEHC), 27 – 28th August 2014, Perdana Resort, Pantai Cahaya Bulan, Kota Bharu Kelantan, Malaysia.
2) Wan Suhailah WH, Mohd Normani Z, Nik Adilah NO, Azizah O. The effectiveness of psycho-audiological module (PAM) in treating tinnitus: preliminary findings. 3rd Malaysian Audiology Scientific Conference (MASCO), Swiss Garden Hotel, Kuantan, Pahang, 15/5/2014- 17/5/2014.
3) Zuraida Z, Dinsuhaimi S, Mohd Normani Z, Shahriman AB. Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy. 15th Asean ORL-HNS Congress, Radisson Blu Hotel, Cebu City, PHILIPPINES, 21-23th March 2013.