Jifan Hu is Tang ErQin Professor in Stem Cell and Cancer Center of the Norman Bethune First Hospital at Jilin University, and the Director of Cancer and Stem Cell Epigenetics Program, Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Institute for Research in United States. He received his Ph.D. from Cornell University, M.S. from Beijing University, and M.D. from Anhui Medical University. He took the postdoctoral training at Stanford University Medical School. As the PI, he has been in charge of research grants from NIH, US Department of Defense (DoD), California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM), National Natural Science Foundation of China (NFSC), and National Basic Research Program of China. His current research is focused on stem cell reprograming and self-renewal, noncoding RNAs, and mechanisms underlying genomic imprinting and gene regulation in cancers. He has published a series of papers in peer-reviewed journals, including Cell Stem Cell, Biomaterials, J Cell Biol, Nucleic Acids Res, Oncotarget, Oncogene, Hepatology, and Science. In a project funded by CIRM, his group demonstrates that intrachromosomal looping in pluripotency gene promoters is a critical epigenetic barrier in iPS cell reprogramming.
Stem Cell Reprograming and Self-Renewal, Noncoding RNAs, and Mechanisms Underlying Genomic Imprinting and Gene Regulation In Cancers.
1. Wang H, Chao K, Ng SC, Bai AH, Yu Q, Yu J, Li M, Cui Y, Chen M, Hu JF*, Zhang S. Pro-inflammatory miR-223 mediates the cross-talk between the IL23 pathway and the intestinal barrier in inflammatory bowel disease. Genome Biol. 2016 Mar 30;17(1):58. doi: 10.1186/s13059-016-0901-8.
2. Zhang Y, Wang H, Cui J, Gao S, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*, Li, w. CRISPR Cas9-guided chromatin immunoprecipitation identifies the oncogenic miR483 as an epigenetic modulator of IGF2 imprinting in tumors. Oncotarget. 2016; in press.
3. Zhao X, Liu X, Wang G, Wen X, Zhang X, Hoffman AR, Li W, Hu JF*, Cui J. Loss of insulin-like growth factor II imprinting is a hallmark associated with enhanced chemo/radiotherapy resistance in cancer stem cells. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 2. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.9784. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Pang J, Yan X, Cao H, Qian L, He H, Tian H, Han F, Wang G, Chen X, Zhao Y, Hu JF, Cui J. Knockdown of COPS3 inhibits lung cancer tumor growth in nude mice by blocking cell cycle progression. J of Cancer. 2016: in press
5. Liu Y, Chen N, Yin H, Zhang L, Li W, Wang G, Cui J, Yang B, Hu JF*. A placental growth factor-positively charged peptide potentiates the antitumor activity of interferon-gamma in human brain glioblastoma U87 cells. Am J Cancer Res. 2016;6:214-225.
6. Zhu XQ, Pan XH, Yao L, Li W, Cui J, Wang G, Mrsny RJ, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Converting Skin Fibroblasts into Hepatic-like Cells by Transient Programming. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:589-598
7. Tang Y, Li Q, Meng F, Huang X, Li C, Zhou X, Zeng X, He Y, Liu J, Hu X, Hu JF*, Li T. Therapeutic potential of HGF-expressing human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells in mice with acute liver failure. Int J Hepatol. 2016;2016:5452487.
8. Shi X, Li M, Cui M, Niu C, Xu J, Zhou L, Li W, Gao Y, Kong W, Cui J, Hu JF*, Jin H. Epigenetic suppression of the antitumor cytotoxicity of NK cells by histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid. Am J Cancer Res. 2016;6:600-614
9. Wang X, Ma K, Chi L, Cui J, Jin L, Hu JF*, Li W. Combining Telomerase Reverse Transcriptase Genetic Variant rs2736100 with Epidemiologic Factors in the Prediction of Lung Cancer Susceptibility. J Cancer. 2016;7:846-853
10. Chen X, Zhai Y, Yu D, Li T, Cui J, Wang G, Hu JF*, Li W. Valproic Acid Enhances iPSC Induction from Human Bone Marrow-Derived Cells through the Suppression of Reprogramming-Induced Senescence. J Cell Physiol. 2016;231:1719-1727
11. Yin H, Chen N, Guo R, Wang H, Li W, Wang G, Cui J, Jin H, Hu JF*. Antitumor potential of a synthetic interferon-alpha/PLGF-2 positive charge peptide hybrid molecule in pancreatic cancer cells. Sci Rep. 2015;5:16975
12. Song W, Li W, Li L, Zhang S, Yan X, Wen X, Zhang X, Tian H, Li A, Hu JF*, Cui J. Friend leukemia virus integration 1 activates the Rho GTPase pathway and is associated with metastasis in breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2015:23764-75.
13. Wang H, Ge S, Qian G, Li W, Cui J, Wang G, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Restoration of IGF2 imprinting by polycomb repressive complex 2 docking factor SUZ12 in colon cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2015;338:214-221
14. Guo R, Wang H, Cui J, Wang G, Li W, Hu JF. Inhibition of HIV-1 Viral Infection by an Engineered CRISPR Csy4 RNA Endoribonuclease. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0141335
15. Zhai Y, Chen X, Yu D, Cui J, Hu JF*, Li W. Histone deacetylase inhibitor valproic acid promotes the induction of pluripotency in mouse fibroblasts by suppressing reprogramming-induced senescence stress. Exp Cell Res. 2015;337:61-67
16. Sun J, Wen X, Jin F, Li Y, Hu J, Sun Y. Bioinformatics analyses of differentially expressed genes associated with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw in patients with multiple myeloma. Onco Targets Ther. 2015 Sep 22;8:2681-8
17. Zhang S, Chen S, Yang G, Gu F, Li M, Zhong B, Hu JF*, Hoffman A, Chen M. Long noncoding RNA HOTAIR as an independent prognostic marker in cancer: a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014;9(8):e105538.
18. Zeng G, Li Q, Ju H, Zhou X, Zhu J, Zeng X, HeY, Li C, Liu J, Wu C, Yan T, Wu M, Gan J, Li W, Cui J, Hu X, Hu JF*, Li T. Therapeutical Comparison of Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Different Tissues of Human Placenta in the Treatment of Mice with Acute Hepatic Failure. J Stem Cell Res Ther 2015;5:316. doi:10.4172/2157-7633.10003167
19. Li C, Ju H, Zhou X, Zeng X, He Y, Zeng G, Liu J, Wu C, Yan T, Li W, Cui J, Hu X, Hu JF*, Li T. Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cells Suppress Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Lesions by Rebalancing CD4+/CD8+ Cell Population. Glob J Stem Cell Biol Transplant 2016;(1):004.
20. Sun Y, Chen X, Sun J, Wen X, Liu X, Zhang Y, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*, Gao Y. A Novel Inherited Mutation in PRKAR1A Abrogates PreRNA Splicing in a Carney Complex Family. Can J Cardiol. 2015;31:1393-1401
21. Kang L, Sun J, Wen X, Cui J, Wang G, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*, Li W. Aberrant allele-switch imprinting of a novel IGF1R intragenic antisense non-coding RNA in breast cancers. Eur J Cancer 2015;51:260-70
22. Gan J, Meng F, Zhou X, Li C, He Y, Zeng X, Jiang X, Liu J, Zeng G, Tang Y, Liu M, Mrsny RJ, Hu X, Hu JF*, Li T. Hematopoietic recovery of acute radiation syndrome by human superoxide dismutase-expressing umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells. Cytotherapy. 2015;17:403-417
23. Chen X, Wang X, He H, Liu Z, Hu JF*, Li W. Combination of Circulating Tumor Cells with Serum Carcinoembryonic Antigen Enhances Clinical Prediction of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0126276
24. Wang H, Li W, Guo R, Sun J, Cui J, Wang G, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. An intragenic long noncoding RNA interacts epigenetically with the RUNX1 promoter and enhancer chromatin DNA in hematopoietic malignancies. Int J Cancer 2014;135:2783-94
25. Ma AN, Wang H, Guo R, Wang YX, Li W, Cui J, Wang G, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Targeted gene suppression by inducing de novo DNA methylation in the gene promoter. Epigenetics Chromatin 2014;7:20.
26. Li T, Chen H, Li W, Cui J, Wang G, Hu X, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Promoter histone H3K27 methylation in the control of IGF2 imprinting in human tumor cell lines. Hum Mol Genet 2014;23:117-28
27. Hu JF*, Hoffman AR. Chromatin looping is needed for iPSC induction. Cell Cycle. 2014;13:1-2
28. Zhang S, Zhong B, Chen M, Yang L, Yang G, Li Y, Wang G, Cui J, Li W, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Epigenetic reprogramming reverses the malignant epigenotype of the MMP/TIMP axis genes in tumor cells. Int J Cancer 2014;134(7):1583-94
29. Li T, Chen H, Li W, Cui J, Wang G, Hu X, Hoffman AR, Hu JF*. Promoter histone H3K27 methylation in the control of IGF2 imprinting in human tumor cell lines. Hum Mol Genet 2014;23:117-128
30. Zhang S, Chen S, Yang G, Gu F, Li M, Zhong B, Hu JF*, Hoffman A, Chen M. Long noncoding RNA HOTAIR as an independent prognostic marker in cancer: a meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014;26;9(8):e105538.