Born (1929) and brought up in Toronto. Married to Irish immigrant pathologist David Raymond Murphy 1958, and moved to Montreal. Children : Madeleine;1960 Aug.30, Catherine;1963, July 11.
Degrees: B.A l952 University of Toronto â€‘ Honour Science
M.D. l956 University of Toronto â€‘ Medicine
M.Sc. l960 McGill University â€‘ Experimental Medicine
Ph.D. l964 McGill University â€‘ Investigative Medicine
Certifications: l968 Medical Biochemistry, Quebec
l970 Endocrinology, Quebec
Fellowships: FACP l977 American College of Physicians
FRSC 1989 Royal Society of Canada
My main areas of research have been in clinical chemistry and endocrinology, particularly steroid and thyroid hormones.A major interest has been the endocrinologic aspects of psychiatry.Thyroid disease and abnormalities of the Hypothamic-Pituitary-Adrenal axis are very common in psychiatric patients, while almost all endocrine diseases have psychiatric manifestations.My current interest is the anaesthetic steroids (neurosteroids) which have been too long neglected but are beginning to spark some enthusiasm.
l. Method for the determination of thyroxine, l966 (with Chauncey J. Pattee).
2. Use of estradienolone for the maintenance of pregnancy, l987 (with Anie Philip).
1. MLYNARYK P., GILLIES RR, MURPHY BEP, PATTEE CJ: Cortisol production rates in obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 22:587 591, 1962.
2. MURPHY BEP, DOSSETOR JB, and BECK JC: Serial determinations of extracellular fluid volume using the radiosulfate space method. Can J Biochem & Physiol 41:497 510, 1963.
3. MURPHY BEP, ENGELBERG W, and PATTEE, CJ: A simple method for the determination of plasma corticoids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:293 300, 1963.
4. MURPHY BEP, PATTEE CJ: A study of the binding capacity of corticosteroid binding globulin in plasma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:459 464, 1963.
5. MURPHY BEP: The application of the property of protein binding to the assay of minute quantities of hormones and other substances. Nature (Lond.), 201:679 682, 1964.
6. MURPHY BEP, PATTEE CJ: The determination of thyroxine utilizing the property of protein binding. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:187 196, 1964.
7. MURPHY BEP, HOOD AB, PATTEE CJ: Clinical studies utilizing a new method for the serial determination of plasma corticoids. Can Med Assoc J 90:775 780, 1964.
8. MURPHY BEP, PATTEE CJ: Determination of plasma corticoids by competitive protein binding analysis using gel filtration. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:919 924, 1964.
9. MURPHY BEP: The determination of thyroxine by competitive protein binding analysis employing an anion exchange resin and radiothyroxine. J Lab Clin Med 66:161 168, 1965.
10. MURPHY BEP, PATTEE CJ, GOLD A: Clinical evaluation of a new method for the determination of serum thyroxine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 26:247 256, 1966.
11. MURPHY BEP, COSGROVE JB, McILQUHAM MC, PATTEE CJ: Adrenal corticoid levels in human cerebrospinal fluid. Can Med Assoc J 97:13 17, 1967.
12. MURPHY BEP: Some studies of the protein binding of steroids and their application to the routine micro and ultramicro measurement of various steroids in body fluids by competitive protein binding radioassay. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 27:973 990, 1967.
13. KLASSEN J, MURPHY BEP: Bilateral adrenal hemorrhage. Case report and review of the literature. Can Med Assoc J 97:1162 1165, 1967.
14. MURPHY BEP: Clinical evaluation of urinary cortisol determinations by competitive protein binding radioassay. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 28:343 348, 1968.
15. MURPHY BEP: Binding of testosterone and oestradiol by plasma.: Can J Biochem 46:299 302, 1968.
16. MURPHY BEP: Protein binding and the assay of non antigenic hormones. Recent Progress in Hormone Research 25:563 610, 1969.
17. MURPHY BEP: Methodological problems in competitive protein binding techniques; the use of sephadex column chromatography to separate steroids. Acta Endocrinol 64, Suppl.#147, pp.37 60, 1970.
18. MURPHY BEP: Further studies of the specificity of the sex hormone binding globulin of human plasma. Steroids 16:791 798, 1970.
19. MURPHY BEP: In vitro tests of thyroid function. Seminars in. Nuclear. Medicine 1:301 315, 1971.
20. MURPHY BEP: The use of sephadex column chromatography as an adjunct to competitive protein binding (CPB) assays of steroids. Nature 232:21 24, 1971.
21. GANJAM VK, MURPHY BEP, CHAN TH, CURRIE PA: Confirmation of the presence of dihydrotestosterone in human plasma by mass spectrometry. J Steroid Biochem 2:155 156, 1971.
22. MURPHY BEP: Competitive protein binding techniques in the diagnosis of endocrine disorders. Can Med Assoc J 106:360 364, 1972.
23. GANJAM VK, CAMPBELL A, MURPHY BEP: Changes in patterns of circulating corticosteroids in rabbits following prolonged treatment with ACTH. Endocrinology 91:607 611, 1972.
24. MURPHY BEP, DIEZ d'AUX RC: Steroid levels in the human fetus: cortisol and cortisone. J Clin Endocrinol. Metab. 35:678 683, 1972.
25. TSANG CPW, LEHOTAY DC, MURPHY BEP: Competitive binding assay for adenosine 3',5' monophosphate employing a bovine adrenal protein: Application to urine, plasma and tissues. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 35:809 817, 1972.