Dr. Stanley Schwartz is an Affiliate of the Main Line Health System, and an Emeritus Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, currently in a private practice. Dr. Schwartz received his MD in 1973 , University of Chicago , completed his residency at the U. of Pa. followed by a fellowship in endocrinology at the University of Chicago. Dr. Schwartz actively lectures nationally, as well as internationally; this year Singapore and China. He has authored numerous and has been PI or co-investigator for clinical trials (DCCT-EDIC, LOOK AHEAD). Since leaving Penn, he received an R-01 from the NIH for Genes related to LADA, wrote several book chapters, and has had several article’s published (including Incretins in Hospital with DeFronzo). He co-authored the 2009/2010 AACE Diabetes Guidelines, and slide modules for AACE, 2011,2014 and 2014, and Diabetes in Control 2013-2014 and an invited speaker to AACE and ADA 2014. He is a member or fellow of many international, national, and local professional societies: Royal Society of Medicine (London), EASD, ADA. He’s in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2014. Though he does some research and teaches a great deal, most of his time is spent caring for patients .
Genes for LADA, Clinical Guidelines, Therapy T2DM
1. Schwartz, S.S., Bell, Jr., Rechnitz, S., and Rabinowitz, D. Binding of Human FSH and its subunits to rat testis. Europ. J. Clin. Invest. 3: 475,1973.
2. Bell, J., Benveniste, R., Schwartz, S.S., and Rabinowitz, D. Iodinated FSH:Components and their properties. Endocrinology 94: 952, 1974.
3. Rabinowitz, D., Bell, Jr., Benveniste, R., and Schwartz, S.S. Multiple antigenic and biological determinants of human FSH and its subunits. Nature New Biology, 245: 247, 1973.
4. Schwartz, S.S., Zeidler, A., Moossa, A., and Rubenstein, A. A prospective study of glucose tolerance, insulin, C-peptide, glucagon levels in patients with pancreatic carcinoma. Amer. J. of Digest. Dis. 23: 1107-1114, 1978.
5. Schwartz, S.S., Langer, B., Horowitz, D., and Kaplan, E. Continuous monitoring and control of blood glucose during removal of an insulinoma. Surgery 85: #6 703-707, 1979.
6. Schwartz, S.S.,et.al., Use of a glucose controlled insulin infusion system (artificial beta cell) to control diabetes during surgery. Diabetologia 16: 157-164, 1979.
6a .Horwitz DL, Schwartz SS. Use of an artificial beta cell in surgery.,Horm Metab Res Suppl. 1979;(8):156-8.
7. Schwartz, S.S., et al. Familial Nesidioblastosis: Severe neonatal hypoglycemia in two families. J. of Pediatrics. 95: 44-53, 1979.
8. Schwartz, S.S., et al. Effect of bovine pancreatic polypeptide on isolated rat livers. Endocrinology 106: #4 1178-1181, 1980.
9. Horowitz, D.D., and Schwartz, S.S. Diabetes related surgery and obstetrics. Hormone and Metabolic Research, Supplement #18, 156-158, 1979.
10. Green, D.A., Brown, M.J., Braunstein, S.N., Schwartz, S.S., Asbury, A.K., and Winegrad, A.I. Comparison of clinical course and sequential electrophysiological tests in diabetes with symptomatic polyneuropathy and its implications for clinical trials. Diabetes, 30: 139-147, 1981.
11. Gabbe, S.G., Mastroianni, Jr., I., Schwartz, S.S., and Herman, G. Effect of Dietary Fiber on glucose tolerance in Pregnancy. Amer. J. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1 : #5 514-517, 1982.
12. Snape, W.J. Jr., Battle, Schwartz, S.S., Braunstein, S.N., Goldstein, Alavi. Metoclopramide to treat Gastroparesis due to Diabetes Mellitus. Annals of Internal Medicine, 96: 444, April, 1982.
13. Sinclair, S.H., Grunwald, J.E., Riva, C.F., Braunstein, S.N., Schwartz, S.S., Nichols, C.W. Retinal Vascular Autoregulation in Diabetes Mellitus. Ophthalmology, 89: #7, 748-750, July, 1982.
14. Nesler, C.L., Sinclair, S., Schwartz, S.S., Gabbe, S.G., Diabetic Neuropathy in Pregnancy, pp. 528-535. Clinics in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Volume 28, Number 3, Saunders and Company, Philadelphia, 1985.
15. Sinclair, S.H., Nesler, C., Schwartz, S.S. Retinopathy in the Pregnant Diabetic, pp. 536-552. Clinics in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Volume 28. Number 3, Saunders and Company, Philadelphia, 1985.
16. Parkman, H.P., Schwartz, S.S., Esophagitis and Gastroduodenal Disorders Associated with Diabetic Gastroparesis, pp. 1477-1480. Arch. Internal Medicine, Volume 147, 1987.
17. Cendron, M., Schwartz, S.S., Wein, A., et al. Germ Cell Tumor of the Testes in a Patient with Von Hippel Lindau. Accepted Journal of Urology, 1989.
18. Grunwald, J.E., Brucker, A.J., Schwartz, S.S., et. al. Diabetic Glycemic Control and Retinal Blood Flow, Diabetes, May, 1990, Volume 39,5.
19. Broderick, G.A., Schwartz, S.S. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetes, Hospital Practice, Volume 26, (8), August 12, 1991.
20. Grunwald, Brucker, Braunstein, Schwartz, et al, Strict Metabolic Control and Retinal Blood Flow in Diabetes Mellitus, British J. of Ophthalmology,August,1994.
21. Grunwald, Riva, Petrig, Brucker< Schwartz, Braunstein, DuPont, Grunwald. Strict Control of Glycaemia: effects on blood flow in the large retinal vessels and in the macular microcirculation; Brit. J. of Ophth. 1995; 79: 735-741.
22. Ahmad,Furth,Schwartz,Vaughn, Metz, Sporatic Zollinger -Ellison Syndrome with Ectopic ACTH , Endocrine Practice, 1999 , 5.
23. Yin D, Forman H, Shea J, Abboud P-A, Pollock B, Malet P, Staroscik R, Alavi A, Schwartz S: The cost-effectiveness of hepatobiliary scintigraphy and ultrasonography in the diagnosis of acute cholecystitis. J Gen Int Med, 1996.
24. Maschak-Carey,,Shutta,,Schwartz S. et al: Successful Implementation of a Comprehensive Diabetes Disease Management Program in an Integrated Academic Health Care System, Disease Management 2:43, 1999.
25. Shutta, Schwartz S., Insulin Resistance and Diabetic Complications: in Preventive Medicine in Managed Care2:, #1, sup, S3-S19, 2001.