I received my PhD in Medical Physics from University of Patras, Greece. While in my last year of my PhD I joined the Fox Chase Cancer Center as a Research Associate until June 2006. I joined CTRC and UTHSCSA in 2006 as a Medical Physicist and Assistant Professor at the Department of Radiation Oncology and in 2013 I was promoted to Associate Professor.
Research interests include external beam radiation therapy in general. More specifically, I am interested in new methods of radiation therapy delivery (IMRT, VMAT), adaptive radiotherapy, Stereitactic Radiotherapy and Radiosurgury, dose calculation algorithms, new technology for radiation therapy and physics of radiation therapy.
1. Knaup C, Mavroidis P, Swanson GP, Stathakis S, Papanikolaou N. Inclusion of Radiobiological Factors in Prostate Brachytherapy Treatment Planning J Radiother Pract 2013;12(2):163-172.
2. Dzintars E, Papanikolaou N, Mavroidis P, Sadeghi KA, Stathakis S. Application of an independent dose calculation software for estimating the impact of inter-fractional setup shifts in Helical Tomotherapy treatments Physica Medica 2013;29(6):615-623.
3. Myers P, Stathakis S, Gutiérrez AN, Esquivel C, Mavroidis P, Papanikolaou N. Dosimetric Comparison of Craniospinal Axis Irradiation (CSI) Treatments Using Helical Tomotherapy, SmartArc, and 3D Conventional Radiation Therapy Int J Med Phys Clin Eng Radiat Oncol 2013;2(1):30-38.
4. Vazquez-Quino LA, Massingill B, Shi C, Gutierrez A, Esquivel C, Eng T, Papanikolaou N, Stathakis S. Monte Carlo modeling of a Novalis Tx Varian 6 MV with HD-120 multileaf collimator. J Appl Clin Med Phys 2012 Sep;13(5):3960-3960.
5. Knaup, Courtney, Esquivel C, Mavroidis P, Stathakis S, Papanikolaou N. Exploring the dosimetric and radiobiological effects of Prostate seed loss and migration Radiotherapy & Oncology 2012 May;103(2):38
6. Pamela Myers, Sotirios Stathakis, Alonso N. Gutiérrez, Carlos Esquivel, Panayiotis Mavroidis1, Niko Papanikolaou. Evaluation of PTW Seven29 for tomotherapy patient specific quality assurance and comparison with ScandiDos Delta4 Journal of Medical Physics 2012 Apr;37(2):72-80.
7. Chandraraj V, Stathakis S, Manickam R, Esquivel C, Supe SS, Papanikolaou N. Comparison of four commercial devices for RapidArc and sliding window IMRT QA. J Appl Clin Med Phys 2011 Apr;12(2):3367-3367.
8. Swanson GP, Stathakis S. Rectal dose constraints for intensity modulated radiation therapy of the prostate. Am J Clin Oncol 2011 Apr;34(2):188-195.
9. Mavroidis P, Su FC, Giantsoudi D, Stathakis S, Komisopoulos G, Shi C, Swanson G, Papanikolaou N. Radiobiological and dosimetric analysis of daily megavoltage CT registration on adaptive radiotherapy with Helical Tomotherapy. Technol Cancer Res Treat 2011 Feb;10(1):1-13.
10. Gutiérrez AN, Stathakis S, Crownover RL, Esquivel C, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Clinical Evaluation of an Immbolization System for Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy using Helical TomoTherapy Journal of Medical Dosimetry 2011;36(2):126-129.
11. Knaup C, Mavroidis P, Esquivel C, Baltas D, Stathakis S, Swanson GP, Papanikolaou N. Radiobiologically based treatment plan evaluation for prostate seed implants J Contemp Brachyther 2011;3(2):74-83.
12. Knaup C, Mavroidis P, Stathakis S, Smith M, Papanikolaou N. Evaluation of the Effect of Prostate Volume Change on Tumor Control Probability in LDR Brachytherapy J Contemp Brachyther 2011;3(3):125-130.
13. Stathakis S, Gutiérrez AN, Esquivel C, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. A practical method to detect target failure of a helical tomotherapy unit Journal of BUON 2010 Oct;15:496-499.
14. Papanikolaou N, He W. H., Luis A. V., Gutiérrez AN, Stathakis S, Alkhatib H., Shi C. MU-Tomo: an Independent Dose Validation Software for Helical TomoTherapy Journal of Cancer Science and Therapy 2010 Sep;2(5):145-152.
15. Buckey CR, Stathakis S, Papanikolaou N. The inter- and intrafraction reproducibilities of three common IMRT delivery techniques. Med Phys 2010 Sep;37(9):4854-4860.
16. Gutiérrez AN, Stathakis S, Esquivel C, Liu Y., Zhai Y., Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Impact of pulse forming network and injection current parameters on output and energy variations of helical tomotherapy Journal of BUON 2010 Jul;15:373-377.
17. Buckey C, Stathakis S, Cashon K, Gutierrez A, Esquivel C, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Evaluation of a commercially-available block for spatially fractionated radiation therapy. J Appl Clin Med Phys 2010 Apr;11(3):3163-3163.
18. Varatharaj C, Stathakis S, Ravikumar,M, Esquivel C, Knaup, C, Myers,P, Papanikolaou N. Consistency and Reproducibility of the VMAT Plan Delivery Using Three Independent Validation Methods Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 2010;12:129-140.
19. Stathakis S, Esquivel C, Gutiérrez AN, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Dosimetric evaluation of multi-pattern spatially fractionated radiation therapy using a multi-leaf collimator and collapsed cone convolution superposition dose calculation algorithm. Appl Radiat Isot 2009 Oct;67(10):1939-1944.
20. Stathakis S, Esquivel C, Gutierrez A, Buckey CR, Papanikolaou N. Treatment planning and delivery of IMRT using 6 and 18MV photon beams without flattening filter. Applied Radiation and Isotopes 2009 Sep;67(9):1629-1637.
21. Papanikolaou N, Stathakis S. Dose-calculation algorithms in the context of inhomogeneity corrections for high energy photon beams Medical Physics 2009 Sep;36:4765-4775.
22. Sarkar V, Gutiérrez AN, Stathakis S, Swanson GP, Papanikolaou N. A virtual fluoroscopy system to verify seed positioning accuracy during prostate permanent seed implants. J BUON 2009 Jul;14(3):447-450.
23. Stathakis S, Roland T, Papanikolaou N, Li J, Ma C. A prediction study on radiation-induced second malignancies for IMRT treatment delivery. Technol Cancer Res Treat 2009 Apr;8(2):141-148.
24. Giantsoudi D, Stathakis S, Liu Y, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Monte Carlo Modeling and Commissioning of a Dual-layer Micro Multileaf Collimator. Technol Cancer Res Treat 2009 Apr;8(2):105-114.
25. Mavroidis P, Stathakis S, Gutiérrez AN, Esquivel C, Shi C, Papanikolaou N. Expected clinical impact of the differences between planned and delivered dose distributions in Helical Tomotherapy for treating head and neck cancer using Helical Megavoltage CT Images J Appl Clin Med Phys 2009;8:187-200.