Dr.Wilson Aruni had joined the Loma Linda University from his native country India. He graduated in the field of Microbiology from Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (TANUVAS), Chennai, India and completed his doctoral studies during the year 1999 and on work deputation at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi where he specialized in the field of molecular virology and advanced imaging techniques. He started his career as Assistant Professor in TANUVAS and served as Associate professor in Microbiology since June 2009. He was on interm charge of the University Bioinformatics Centre and also for the Electron Microscopy facility. He is a recipient of Richard memorial award and Naidu memorial award conferred for his best research work. He was also the recipient of Young scientist award conferred by the Indian Science Congress, has two patents to his credit and authored three books in the field of Medical Microbiology and Biotechnology.
Dr.Wilson is presently involved in studying the molecular pathogenesis mechanism of two important oral pathogens Porphyromonas gingivalis and Filifactor alocis at Dr.Hansel Fletchers lab and also in teaching Bioinformatics.
<!-- [if gte mso 9]>
Human oral mcirobiome and systemic diseases, Human oral virome, Host pathogen interaction.
1. Wilson Aruni, Kangling Zhang, Yuetan Dou, and Hansel Fletcher (2014).Proteome analysis of Filifactor alocis coinfection of epithelial cells with Porphyromonas gingivalis shows modulation of pathogen and host regulatory pathways. Infection and Immunity. 82(8) (Featured article).
2. Wilson Aruni, O. Chioma, Hansel Fletcher (2014). Filifactor alocis-newly discovered kid on the block with special talents. Journal of Dental Research. June,2014: 1-8.
3. Leroy G. Henry, Marie-Claire Boutrin, Wilson Aruni, Antonette Robles, Alexia Ximinies, Hansel M. Fletcher (2014). Life in a Diverse Oral Community - Strategies for Oxidative Stress Survival. J of Oral Biosciences. 56(2) 63-71.
4. G.Sathish, Kurunchi C.Divya, M.Parthiban, Wilson Aruni (2014). In silico analysis show incidence of very virulent Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV). International J of Computational Bioinformatics and In silico Modeling Vol 3(3):374-380.
5. A. Sasikalaveni, P.L. Sujatha, M.Parthiban, P.Dhanapalan, Wilson Aruni (2014). Computational prediction and In silico analysis of gyrase gene QRDR region coding drug resistance among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates of Tamilnadu. International J of Computational Bioinformatics and In silico Modeling Vol 3(2):362-368.
6. Henry, L. G., Wilson Aruni and H. M. Fletcher.(2013). Protective role of the uvrA-pg1037-uvrD operon in oxidative stress defense in Porphyromonas gingivalis W83. PLoS One. 8 (8): 1-14.
7. Hansel M. Fletcher, Wilson Aruni Ann- Progolske Fox, Y.Dou (2013) “Oral Microbiology and Immunology”ASM press Washington ,D.C., (Editors: Richard Lamont, Robert. A. Burne, Marilyn. S. Lantz, Donald. J. Leblanc) (2013). Chapter - 8. Applied molecular Biology and the oral Microbes.
8. Wilson Aruni, A.Robles and H.M.Fletcher (2013) VimA mediates multiple functions that control virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis –Review. Molecular Oral Microbiology; 28(3):167-80.
9. Arun S. Muthiah, Wilson Aruni, Antonette G. Robles, Yuetan Dou, Francis Roy, Hansel M. Fletcher (2013). In Porphyromonas gingivalis VimF is involved in Gingipain Maturation through the Transfer of Galactose. PLoS One. 24;8(5):e63367.
10. Seiberling KA, Wilson Aruni, Kim S, Scapa VI, Fletcher Church CA (2013).The effect of intraoperative mucoporin irrigation on Staphylococcus aureus within the maxillary sinus. Intl Forum of Allergy Rhinol 3 (2) 94-98.
11. Sabir, Theodore; Rowland, Leah; Milligan, Jamie; Yan, Dong; Wilson Aruni, A; Chen, Qiao; Boskovic, Danilo; Kurti, Ralph; Perry, Christopher (2013) Mechanistic Investigation of Seeded Growth in Triblock Copolymer Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles Langmuir 26;29(12):3903-11.
12. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy, L. Sandberg and H. M. Fletcher (2012). Proteome variation among Filifactor alocis strains Journal of Proteomics 12 (22):3343-64.
13. Wilson Aruni, J. Lee , D. Osbourne , Y. Dou, F. Roy , , A. Muthiah ,D. S. Boskovic and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of acetyl-CoA levels and lipid A biosynthesis can alter virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity 80(2):550-564.
14. Wilson Aruni (2012). Bioprospecting in ethnomedicine and In vitro assays for lead compound validation- A review. International Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Virology Vol.1;No.2: 4 -10.
15. Osbourne D, Wilson Aruni, Y. Dou, C. Perry, D.S. Boskovic,, F. Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of the secretome in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Molecular Oral Microbiology Dec;27(6):420-35. (Featured Journal article).
16. Rachelle M.E. McKenzie, Neal A. Johnson, Wilson Aruni, Yuetan Dou, Godfred Masinde and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012).Differential response of Porphyromonas gingivalis to varying levels and duration of hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress. Microbiology. 158: 2465-2479.
17. Marie-Claire Boutrin, Charles Wang, Wilson Aruni and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012). Nitric oxide stress resistance in Porphyromonas gingivalis is mediated by pg0893 and other hypothetical genes of unknown function. Journal of Bacteriology 194(6):1582 – 1592.
18. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2011) Filifactor alocis has virulence attributes that can enhance its persistence under oxidative stress conditions and mediate invasion of epithelial cells by Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79 (10) 3872- 3886.
19. Wilson Aruni, Elaine Vanterpool, Devon Osbourne, Francis Roy, Arun Muthiah, Yutan and Hansel M. Fletcher (2011) Sialidase and sialoglycoproteases can modulate virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79(7): 2779-2791. (Featured article).
20. Jesica A. Kanady, Wilson Aruni, Janet R. Ninnis, Andrew O. Hopper, Jamie Blood, Luke Byrd, Leighton Holley, Michael Staker, Hansel Fletcher, Gordon G. Power, and Arlin B. Blood (2011). Nitrate reductase activity of bacteria in saliva of term and preterm infants. Nitric oxide : Nitric Oxide 07/2012; 27(4):193-200.
21. Sabir, Theodore; Yan, Dong; Milligan, Jamie; Wilson Aruni, Nick, Kevin; Ramon, Ruth; Hughes, Joseph; Chen, Qiao; Kurti, Robert; Perry Christopher (2011) Kinetics of Gold Nanoparticle Formation Facilitated by Triblock Copolymers. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116, 4431-444.
22. Kristin A Seiberling, Richard K McHugh, Christopher A Church, Wilson Aruni, (2011). The Impact of Intraoperative Saline Irrigations on Bacterial Load within the Maxillary Sinus. International forum of Allergy and Rhinology Vol 1 (5) 351-355.
1. Wilson Aruni , P. Ramadass (2011).Animal Tissue culture (ISBN- 9788180940569).
2. P. Ramadass, Wilson Aruni (2009). Research and Writing across disciplines. (ISBN:8180940683, ISBN-13:97881809406282).
3. P. Ramadass , Wilson Aruni (2008). Practical Biotechnology.(ISBN-81-8448-079-2)